NSX vs BMW Z8

Hi. I visited my friend in New York last week and his dad was getting rid of his old sl500 and was shopping for a new car. I got so excited and tried to convince him to get a new NSX and now it is one of his possible options. But on thursday, we went to BMW dealer to check out silver bmw z8. It was my first time that I saw z8 in person. Before, I thought the car looked ugly. To me, NSX looks the best but I must admit, the Z8 looked REAL NICE and I was so impressed that I was speechless. And thinking of my friend's dad's age, I thought z8 might suit him better than racy looking NSX. What do you guys think? I just wanted to get some opinions/feedbacks from car enthusiasts here. I think my opinion actually does matter to him because he always keeps asking me questions about which one he should go for. He's also thinking about 996 but I totally killed that possibility sayint that it's the ugliest car on the planet. I know this may be a bit off topic but I wanted to know how bmw z8 does compared to NSX. If you guys heard of any troubles about owning Z8. advantages/disadvantages, etc.. Please tell me. I apprecite it thanks.

Both the NSX and the Z8 are top flight cars. The Z8 has proven to be a bit expensive, for what in effect is a 5 series car. But hey, isn't "expensive" often said about the NSX too?

That said, both these are excellent and superior choices, You should tell him that! It is not like he is looking at the NSX and a Corvette - or a Z8 and a Corvette. In a case like that, the difference is much more vast, and of course, the Corvette much more common.

The NSX and Z8 are quality built, high end luxury sports cars, with an emphasis on performance. Very special and also quite limited. Either would be an excellent choice.

Assuming cost is not an issue, either car could be purchased with no regrets.

To that end, it is his money ... and since both are good choices, step back and let him decide.

He should also consider a MB SL55.

Less expensive then a Z8 and more power. Has a retracting hardtop and tons of cool equipment.

The Alpina (which is the 2003 version of the Z8, its last year in production) lists for $139,265 and apparently many dealers are charging a premium over MSRP.

It's a terrific car, but it's twice the price of a new NSX.

As for the Mercedes SL55, that's not a sports car, not even close. At over 4200 pounds
eek.gif
it's a heavy pig of a car although the AMG version has a huge engine in it. It's a heavy luxury car for grandpas and posers.

Drive them around the race track and the NSX and Z8/Alpina will be a lot more fun than the 4200 pound Mercedes.

If price is a factor, get the NSX. If price isn't a factor, get a 360.

It really depends on what one is truely looking for in a car.

I own an NSX, but I have also driven a friend's Z8 in the past. Both are amazing aluminum machines built with ultra high engineering standards, but the essence and purpose of each car is completely different. For one, the NSX is much older car but definitely engineered for the more sports minded people. The Z8 is a roadster for the type of people who like taking relaxing spirited drive along the coast etc. The Z8 also really wouldn't be for someone who may someday be interested in taking their car on the racetrack, which is in my opinion where the NSX is at home.

I hope my opinion helps.

For some reason, Mercedez doesn't arouse same sporty feeling that either NSX or Z8 carry. But I see what you guys are saying. NSX, being mid-engine, does look more performance oriented. To me, performance-wise, Z8 exterior design does not start with RIGHT idea because it's really tall and FR. Im sure the car is still great to drive. But I guess Z8 is more about exclusivity and the look than a track performance.

I think the Z8 might do quite well on a racetrack - maybe not as well as an NSX, but not that far behind, and far better than an AMG SL55.

Relative to the price of the Z8/Alpina, I'd go for a new NSX, AND either an S2000 or TL/CL-S to keep it company. I'd still have enough left over (vs: the obscene price of the Z8) to maintain 'em both for life. Personally, I wouldn't trade my '93 NSX even-money for a new Z8; even with free maintenance thrown in.

- Richard

The Alpina Z8 is automatic only, so just keep that in mind.

Also, the 6 speed non-alpina Z8 did not fair well at all in this video:
http://www.bestmotoring.jp/backnumber/bm/in_2002_12.html

The carrera 4s and NSX-R totally embarassed it. They decided not to include the Z8 in the final battle segment. Since we don't have the NSX-R here, if he doesn't like the performance of a Carrera 4s, he definitely won't like the performance of a Z8. I don't know how the current NSX compares to a NSX-R, but just tell him to test drive each.

I honestly wouldn't ask anyone's advice if I were to get a car. I would do my own research, test drive each, and make a choice based on which one I like the best.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
I think the Z8 might do quite well on a racetrack - maybe not as well as an NSX, but not that far behind, and far better than an AMG SL55.

Top Gear had a test with the SL55, 575, 996TT, TVR, Vanquish, Caterham and the Zonda. The SL55 surprised everyone by
coming in 4th in the track test. I think is was Zonda, Caterham, 996, SL55, 575, TVR, then the Vanquish.

It is way too heavy to be a proper track car, but it is capable.

All Alpina Z8s are automatics, and it isn't the M5 engine.

[This message has been edited by sabashioyaki (edited 17 March 2003).]

If he is coming from an SL500, he may not be happy with the NSX because the ride is pretty harsh compared to an SL. He may be happier in the new SL or Maserati GT than anything else. The Z8 may have a harsh ride too, but I can't confirm that.

[This message has been edited by wctsao (edited 17 March 2003).]

If price is no issue and he come form a MB-SL... let him get the Vanquish! Modena, NSX, Z8 are not an upgrade to the MB, they are a different type of car. I was lucky enough to sit in a Vanquish, and WOW, ... that is a luxury soprty car!

Of course, IF price is no issue.

Back