NSX vs 355

I am curious as to how the NSX is faster 0-60mph than the Ferrari 355. The 355 has 380HP and the NSX is at 290HP. The 355 weighs about 3,000lbs as well as the NSX. The weight to power ratio is about 8.0 for the Ferrari and 10.4 for the NSX. The best posted NSX 0-60mph is 4.5s the best for the 355 is 4.6s. I was wondering why that is? Anyone driven the two have a comparison for how they felt?

Thanks.

hey Alsodais,

You should check out www.nsxfiles.com
This website is mainly about Doug Hayashi and his racing experiences, but he also owns a 91 NSX and a 355 F1.

If you read through the many chapters, there are parts where he talks about the pros and cons of both cars at great length.

The stories are both entertaining and informative and although I have never met him in person, I have exchanged e-mails with him and he is one of the most friendliest and knowledgable people I have met.

Enjoy!

a) An F355 and a 97+ NSX are generally considered equal in 0-60 runs at ~4.8s. I believe the F355 has an edge in the 1/4 mile.

b) It's ridiculous to say that one car "is faster" than another just because some tester ran a tenth of a second faster than somebody else in a different car at a different track on a different day. The fact is that the two are very close in performance.

c) As for why doesn't the F355 smoke the NSX given its superior power to weight ratio, it is due to a number of factors... gearing, the shape of the torque curve, traction considerations and weight dynamics.

Plus, Manufactures can claim anything for HP numbers,weve seen some overcalls(mazda) and undercalls(dodge srt4).What I'm implying is when there is a disconnect between published numbers and performance look at the rwhp of customer cars.I'm sure you may be able to get those numbers at the F car websites.

Ferrari is well known for overstating their horsepower and understating their curb weight. Don't believe their specs...

nsxtasy said:
Ferrari is well known for overstating their horsepower and understating their curb weight. Don't believe their specs...

Infact, there was quite a lot of chatter on ferrarichat about the 360 CS being heavier than quoted and producing less HP than quoted.

What they said,I was being kind;)

I agree with the fact that Ferrari, specially 355 have "optimistic" hp figures. :rolleyes:

But I am quite confident having driven both that the 355 won't lose in the 0-60mph and 0-400m... you feel at least 50 rwhp more!

PS: a Euro spec F355 puts down about 310ps (also 60 more than the NSX and not the 100 :eek: decalred from the factory).

PS2: plase do not post the well known Best Motoring video of the 400m... on the 355 you clearly see that the gear is not inserted correctely and the driver loses alomost 1 second. :p

I found that a 3.2L NSX is very closely matched to an F355 in the 1/4 and 0-60. Handling I've read mixed reviews but both seem similar. There are Pros and Cons to both I guess but a lot of the opinions out there are subjective. Looks-wise I like the F355 more but the NSX is no ugly duckling either. I'd choose the NSX over a lot of other exotics out there today, ie. P-car, Lotus, etc. The lines of the NSX are so simplistic yet stunning and sexy. Regular maintenance and insurance costs differ greatly as most know. Even if you own an F355 outright, it'll still cost the average joe an arm and 2 legs for the scheduled services and insurance. Ie. $799/mo to lease a brand new 04 NSX vs 6-8K scheduled service for a used 355. Big plus for the NSX. If I had a lot of money to throw around, I'd definitely pick up an F-car over the X but right now it doesn't make sense to me RIGHT NOW. I've seen the price of F355s come down significantly over the years with low-mileage 95s just about the same cost of a new or even slightly older NSXs. But there are a lot of "what ifs." Although I have never been in or driven a 355, the F1, the exhaust note, add a Tubi all sound very appealing. But what if you come into problems with the F1 and have to take it into an authorized F-car dealer. Say you bought a six-speed and the clutch needed replacing, it will cost a ton to change out compared to a clutch on the NSX. Valve issues, electrical problems, even just changing brake pads would cost some good dough. Ferrari is a Ferrari and they are beautiful machines. But I sometimes feel as those criticizing the NSX as not being an exotic, or is underpowered, or for whatever reason, is because the car carries an Acura logo, a "Made By Honda it's just an mommy's Accord with a nice body" kind of car. "Oh it's a Honda." Always wondered if the NSX came from an F-car factory and carried a F-car logo, would they think differently? Again, the F-cars especially the F355s are beautiful and I will own one someday before I die. But I am more than happy with a beautiful, well-balanced, well-engineered, nimble, trackworthy exotic that's just as exclusive that I can take out on a regular basis and not have to worry about huge regular ownership costs. Again, my humble 0.02 cents.

Ehm... I would not joke a lot about hp/$! :p

Even at the "something is wrong with the engine" number of 275rwhp for the 355:

470$/rwhp on the 355

385$/rwhp on a NSX

But using the real rwhp number on a 355 (310hp that is very overtstated anyway from the factory data):

420$/rwhp that is not that far from a NSX, I would say that we are very close in this not so nice ranking. So better not to mention the 355 to avoid been caught with the NSX ;)

OK, how about cost per mile then? Last I checked the Ferrari was like $1/mile and that came directly from F355 owners I was casually hanging with :eek:

I agree though, that bringing up cost factors isn't fair. The Ferrari is what it is and, all numbers aside, the F355 and NSX 3.2L compare favorably enough on a track that there's no need to talk about dollars and cents.

Alsodais said:
Anyone driven the two have a comparison for how they felt?
The NSX is more like the F355, in almost every way, than like any other car I have ever driven.

Read the complete comparison in the NSX FAQ, under Reference - Comparisons - Ferrari.

ChopsJazz said:
At a Bay Area dyno day a few years ago an F355 showed up and put down 275 rwhp. That same day my '91 NSX did 271 rwhp with only headers and exhaust.

During the '99 NSX club dyno day, we had a F355 show these numbers:

ferrari355.jpg

The rated HP was only slightly optimistic or else the tranny losses were on the order of 20% but this F355 should smoke most any NA NSX with bolt on mods.

I don't think the bee with NA 289 rwhp would be "smoked" but then again why are we smoking?Now, if the race is to the dealer for repairs then yes the 355 will win!:p

Nope. With those horsepower numbers (and its weight disadvantage), that F355 will probably be about even with the 3.0-liter NSX and would get beaten by a 3.2-liter NSX. Which is about what the magazine test numbers in the mid-nineties also show.

Ok:( 355 cooks em like a pound of bacon,Bumper to bumper the avenues packed ,,,yaaadaada,ok ok,That was a gratuitous post as I push ahead twords 1k!;)

Having driven both on a very long straight the same day I repeat that the 355 is *faster* than the 3.0 NSX. Not by a lot but still not really minimal. I think that in no case a 3.0 NSX would make better times than a 355 on a straight road (0-whatever MPH).

Back