NSX to Spec Miata

Thanks guys. I had an RX-7 in front of me that gave me fits the whole race. I'd reel him in through the Carousel and Kink and passed him a couple times in Canada corner. He had more horsepower and would get back around me in the front straight. He finally spun off, sadly it was after the checkered had flown...
In 2 weeks I'm racing a Geo Metro in a 24 hours of Lemons race:rolleyes:,
it will be good to get back into the Miata after that.:wink:

Congrats!

Miatas are great race cars.

50/50 weight distribution
Basically front-midship engine layout
Upper and lower A-arms front and rear (like an NSX)

...just a proper sports car. They are very durable. I've owned 2 spec miatas that I campaigned in the 25 Hours of Thunderhill. You can give those little cars hell and they keep on trucking. Great choice with huge fields wherever you go.

Billy

does this include the 99+ MIATAS are like the nsx setup or just 98 on down?

Also how does the nsx compare to the miata on the track? Seems like the nsx would be a better track car to race then a miata. whats your input on this?

Also how does the nsx compare to the miata on the track? Seems like the nsx would be a better track car to race then a miata. whats your input on this?

only gen 1 and gen 2 Miata's are legal for club racing in SCCA. The '99's are the hot ticket right now, most of the guys at the National level are running them. I rarely see an NSX raced wheel to wheel, although I did see a very nice 1st gen NSX running GT2 last weekend. They are not very competitive in that class. Not enough hp and no FI is allowed in SCCA club racing.
Billy can give you more insight into the viability of the NSX as a race car. From what I've seen at my level they are just not competitive in the classes that they are legal in, in SCCA anyway. Besides, they are too rare and too pretty to risk at the track IMHO ..:biggrin:

Yes. 90-04ish (NA & NB) had nearly identical chassis. What do you mean by compare? What aspects? Both are fantastic cars dynamically, the miata's 50/50, FR layout makes for one of the most neutral, predictable, and proper platforms ever built/mass produced and the numbers of SM cars is proof of that as well as a lot of good drivers coming from SM.

The NSX has the ~"ideal" 40/60 weight distribution, MR layout, etc... and is also a great car.

only gen 1 and gen 2 Miata's are legal for club racing in SCCA. The '99's are the hot ticket right now, most of the guys at the National level are running them. I rarely see an NSX raced wheel to wheel, although I did see a very nice 1st gen NSX running GT2 last weekend. They are not very competitive in that class. Not enough hp and no FI is allowed in SCCA club racing.
Billy can give you more insight into the viability of the NSX as a race car. From what I've seen at my level they are just not competitive in the classes that they are legal in, in SCCA anyway. Besides, they are too rare and too pretty to risk at the track IMHO ..:biggrin:
IMO the NSX is a great race car platform, but its age and rareness make it difficult to run one in most 'club racing' arenas. If you ran in a more open NASA class (like the 25 Hrs of Thunderhill where they just go off of power to weight and rough parameters) then it can be quite good. Making it competitive power wise NA or FI is going to cost a lot of $, especially to do it right. While it can be done and while its a great car, it makes more financial sense to get a platform already successful (and favored rule-book wise) for a specific class to have fun with.

Billy

Back