• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX "Time Capsule" up for auction

Let's not read too much into this. Certainly $70K for a minter '91 is great news for any early NSX owner but remember that values established by KBB, Edmunds, NADA, et al are based on market averages. This one is WAY off the bell curve. IMHO, I would expect the effect of this one sale to be minimal.

Let's not read too much into this. Certainly $70K for a minter '91 is great news for any early NSX owner but remember that values established by KBB, Edmunds, NADA, et al are based on market averages. This one is WAY off the bell curve. IMHO, I would expect the effect of this one sale to be minimal.

That's correct. But this tells us that there are collectors and enthusiasts out there that recognize the importance and value of the NSX....and of course to reach $70k... means there were a few buyers speaking with their wallet. Granted this was a one of a kind. And this buyer, if he's interested in maintaining the value of his investment can't put many more miles on this NSX. But when all is said and done....the market has spoken. And if you have been monitoring the ads recently you have noticed that low mileage, stock, pristine '05s are commanding some big dollars. Wish I had bought a few of those a couple years ago for $60k - $65k. Now selling for $72k - $79k. IMHO.

Cars at those auctions always tend to sell for bizarre prices.

I think for the money there are a few cars of the same vintage that might be just as collectable for less money, strictly from a collectors standpoint. 850CSi comes to mind.

That's outstanding. This is another reason not to go FI on an NSX. The more that are modded makes the one's that aren't worth more money.

This price makes no sense. I was offered the infamous '52 mile NSX' from the original owners for only $55k a couple of years ago when it was for sale, and that car was literally brand new. There have been a handful of these 2,000 mile early NSXs pop up over the last few years, and NONE of them sold for anywhere near that number, much less the $77k out the door price that this one just did.

I am continuously amazed at:
1) Some bargains (by my standards) I see at these auctions (early to mid-70s Pontiac Trans Ams come to mind)
and
2) The overblown selling prices of some cars (in the heat of the moment I guess)

It's a sign the economy is coming back at the top end, anyway. Similar to the steady stream of stories in the Real Estate section of the local newspaper recently about big numbers of high end homes selling for new record prices.

Rare colored cars or any cars with under 30k miles will get a premium since there are not left many out there with those specs.. The 1997-2001 models are very hot in Japan in any color if they are well cared for since those years have the bigger motor and performance upgrades with the flap up lights. Clean 97-2001 models dont come up for for sale very often, and the model years selling at a premium right now. Lets not forget these are all low production, hand build all aluminum cars that dont rust, that are reliable, and sold $20k over sticker when they were new, they are deservedly becoming coveted and great collector cars. I have been contacted by 2-3 potential buyers (some in Japan) asking if I wanted to sell mine over the past 9 months, as of now I am not selling, but I am getting tempted..

Back