nsx supercar

i'm building a super nsx off a 91 nsx with 59k.
i have not set a hp or torque goal yet.
from what seen i will most like go for the 3.8l stroker kit and twin turbo kit fully tuned.

i would mind getting some output or advice from nsxprime members.

Nice so you got like 25-50k+ for mods? Must be nice....:smile:

The 3.8L is more than enough power for the streets.......anything over 500 hp will be too much for the street.....the car will be everywhere and you will be on the edge of breaking stuff. Good luck with the project.....kiss your car goodbye for a year or so. :biggrin:

You should consult with Jon Martin at Cerritos Acura before you do anything.
He is the one who designed the 3.8L motor.

The first issue should be where you live and if there is someone to do the work. Otherwise, you may be shipping the car or engine a long distance and if there is any problem, you are SOL. Realistically, you need to determine your goal for HP, TQ, and drivability. Remember, the greater the HP and torque, the greater the cost not only for the engine but also for things like a transmission. If cost is not object, then you can plan on 30K-40K for 1000HP motor and then another 25K for a new transmission plus something like another 10K for other driveline components like a Tilton clutch, cryoed axles, etc. You might then go with an upgraded suspension and brakes 20K+ and lastly, set aside around 20K for tires since you will be ripping through tires almost monthly since you will have the undeniable urge to "test" it, ie smoke the tires through 6 gears:biggrin:

If you live out west, their is Autowave in CA, SOS in Phoenix, GJ? in Modesto, and possibly FX in Vegas. There is also ELITE in MN who has done work for KTAN and has his own car in progress. These are some of the people who have actually built up a motor and then went with FI. I am sure there are countless others who could do custom systems.

Having gone down this road a number of times, set a HP goal, budget (multiply budget by 1.5), reliability goal, down time (estimate 6 months minimum) and be ready for surprises. Ultimately, with careful planning, you can get an NSX supercar but will it be equal to some other supercars, only you can decide. PM me with questions.

Tim

well i was checking out science of speed for the motor
and the twin turbo kit i was going to have customize with bbgt28
better fookwork and the car should be controlable

SOS sounds great. If you gt28 turbos, I have 2 for sale. Brand new, never used. Was going to use it for a TT setup but when single turbo and putting gt25 in the Noble. For the clutch, wait for the carbon-carbon dual disc from RPS. Hopefully, it will be able to hold the torque and HP numbers. Only question is whether the gt28s will flow enough air for more than 700HP. I don't know and you will have to discuss with your builder. Also, I am assuming that you are going to air-water like FX? A real big question will be whether the transmission will be able to handle the power, ask Len.

Tim

I have spoken with Chris at SOS about boosting a 3.8L engine and he did not recommend it. The largest displacement he recommended for boosted applications was 3.6. I recommend talking with Chris at SOS and other builders to define the reality of what might be possible. Factor X has produced big numbers off their set-up, they would be a wealth of information. I also would recommend doing a search on Prime for discussions about building high HP engines and the associated cost and problems that occur.

Good Luck, and welcome to the FI Brotherhood; where
"more is never enough".:eek:
Bob

jorligan said:
SOS sounds great. If you gt28 turbos, I have 2 for sale. Brand new, never used. Was going to use it for a TT setup but when single turbo and putting gt25 in the Noble. For the clutch, wait for the carbon-carbon dual disc from RPS. Hopefully, it will be able to hold the torque and HP numbers. Only question is whether the gt28s will flow enough air for more than 700HP. I don't know and you will have to discuss with your builder. Also, I am assuming that you are going to air-water like FX? A real big question will be whether the transmission will be able to handle the power, ask Len.

Tim

Save your $$$, just buy mine.:wink:
As it has been said, The transmission will be your weak link. You can cryo the other stuff and the trans will be even more of a weak link. I would cryo the entire trans and hope the axels were the ones to break.

As far as handling, The car is pretty good at 500 plus HP, it's not all that hard to handle, You woul have to have a great deal of self control, because the car becomes a monster at those horsepowers.

You don't need to use a 3.8, but you do need to build your engine.

Good luck
The power is ridiculous, almost as nice as a Noble.
Jorligan you lucky dog.:biggrin:

ediddynsx said:
Nice so you got like 25-50k+ for mods? Must be nice....:smile:

The 3.8L is more than enough power for the streets.......anything over 500 hp will be too much for the street.....the car will be everywhere and you will be on the edge of breaking stuff. Good luck with the project.....kiss your car goodbye for a year or so. :biggrin:

You should consult with Jon Martin at Cerritos Acura before you do anything.
He is the one who designed the 3.8L motor.

A 3.8L low comp is not a good idea for boost. A properly sized turbo system will produce the power you are looking for without having to increase displacement to that degree. All said and done with motor, transmission, clutch, axles, turbo system, gauges, controllers, suspension, wheels, tires, and brakes you are probably looking near the 35k-45k range. Prices can really soar depending on what type of enhanced modifications you are looking for. For an experienced builder and if you use a core and pre order all the parts it should be around the three month timeline.

500hp for the street with the proper suspension, brakes, and tcs is near perfect. Incredibly fun and will outrun 90+% of the cars on the road.

The best advise is talk to the guys that have been down the road before. There are many people on here that promote certain people and or items that do not have the experience and capability to produce your desired results. GJ, Racer-X 21, AATA, and Driving Ambition are individuals with a great deal of knowledge and most importantly experience. We also know a few things about making powerful NSXs:wink: Good luck on your quest!

Whatever your goal is for horsepower - take your money and double your estimate and take your schedule and go to the next unit.:biggrin: $40K = $80K. 12 weeks = 12 months. lol

Bigglezworth said:
Whatever your goal is for horsepower - take your money and double your estimate and take your schedule and go to the next unit.:biggrin: $40K = $80K. 12 weeks = 12 months. lol

Sounds like the software development formula.

jorligan said:
The first issue should be where you live and if there is someone to do the work. Otherwise, you may be shipping the car or engine a long distance and if there is any problem, you are SOL. Realistically, you need to determine your goal for HP, TQ, and drivability. Remember, the greater the HP and torque, the greater the cost not only for the engine but also for things like a transmission. If cost is not object, then you can plan on 30K-40K for 1000HP motor and then another 25K for a new transmission plus something like another 10K for other driveline components like a Tilton clutch, cryoed axles, etc. You might then go with an upgraded suspension and brakes 20K+ and lastly, set aside around 20K for tires since you will be ripping through tires almost monthly since you will have the undeniable urge to "test" it, ie smoke the tires through 6 gears:biggrin:

If you live out west, their is Autowave in CA, SOS in Phoenix, GJ? in Modesto, and possibly FX in Vegas. There is also ELITE in MN who has done work for KTAN and has his own car in progress. These are some of the people who have actually built up a motor and then went with FI. I am sure there are countless others who could do custom systems.

Having gone down this road a number of times, set a HP goal, budget (multiply budget by 1.5), reliability goal, down time (estimate 6 months minimum) and be ready for surprises. Ultimately, with careful planning, you can get an NSX supercar but will it be equal to some other supercars, only you can decide. PM me with questions.

Tim

"You might then go with an upgraded suspension and brakes 20K+ and lastly, set aside around 20K for tires since you will be ripping through tires almost monthly since you will have the undeniable urge to "test" it, ie smoke the tires through 6 gears"

since when is a set of 2k coil overs and 4k brakes 20k?

and 20k in tires? ur kidding right.

Dont try to scare the guy off becuase he wants to build something that alot of people around here have money for but dont dare to do.

nsxtcy85 said:
"You might then go with an upgraded suspension and brakes 20K+ and lastly, set aside around 20K for tires since you will be ripping through tires almost monthly since you will have the undeniable urge to "test" it, ie smoke the tires through 6 gears"

since when is a set of 2k coil overs and 4k brakes 20k?

and 20k in tires? ur kidding right.

Dont try to scare the guy off becuase he wants to build something that alot of people around here have money for but dont dare to do.

Brakes done nicely can easily be 10K
Suspension Done nicely can easily be 10K

Tires lets see.
Approx 3k miles out of the rears being gentle.
Lets say you do 10K a year (You will want to drive it a lot) So we will strech out to 4 sets on the rear.
You want a nice patch on the rear so that's 10-10.5 inch wheels back there, in My case that is 275/285 30 x 19
Mich cost me about 550 per side mounted and balanced Plus shipping 15 per set = 60 that's about 5k on the rears.
Those big tires go on big wheels , so I will assume Jorligan, as I know he is very smart, included wheels, That was easily 5k, front tires wear at 1 for every 2 so 2 sets at 300 per side thats 1200
Alignment setting each tire change and set up 200 x 4 = 800 Not quite 20k , Not quite 20K, but you have to understand his reasoning. Especially if you know that , you should at least have 11s on the rear with a 335 stuck under there to give you more traction, because the 10s and 10.5s spin like they are size 5s.

But hey it's only money!!!! A WHOLE HELLUVA LOT OF IT!!!:wink: A lot of people around here have done it.
A lot of people were smart enough not to.

Upside it's fun.. Until somebody breaks the first trans.:biggrin:

I had stated "cost no object" so if you are dropping 40K on the engine, 25K on the transmission, 5 K on a clutch, 10K for a complete suspension isn't that out of hand. Brakes, close to 10K as well. 20K for tires meant for wheels as well but since I just got new 275/30/19 for my BMW at $700:eek: , I know that if I had 1000 hp, I would probably need 5 sets of rear tires per year as long as I didn't run into Prova gt-40 in which case I would need a new set every time I saw him.:biggrin:

Clearly, you can do it for ALOT less, but it all depends on what you want, not what you can buy. I think that the HP wheels look great but are they really up to the quality of HRE or VOLK? I have the Wilwood BBK and they work great for my mediocre skills but when my father-in-law drives the car, he can really take advantage of something like the Comptech Brembo.

In a straight line, I can do pretty well but I have no delusions, on a road coarse, even if I had the ultimate race prepared NSX, I know that a good driver in a stock NSX will whip my butt.

Tim

Know what you mean. Almost sold the NSX to buy a GT40 but the NSX is so civilized that it will become my next daily driver after the M3 dies. The M3 has to last 4 more years, when the new NSX has been out for a while. Only problem I have the Lambo is that personally, I think that it will look dated soon. I know that alot of people think that the NSX looks dated but I still think that it has a more classic style.

Tim

babydoc;

I believe what the NSX community is trying to point out is: what you are proposing is quite expensive, time consuming and has a certain frustration factor built in. The reason we seem so negative is that many of us went into the "build game" not knowing the full extent of the commitment in both time and money we were making. I feel we just want you have a clear understanding of what you are getting into. Yes some of the cost estimates you have been given are "worst case scenarios"; but they are definitely in the realm of possibilities.

If after all the negativity you decide to go ahead with this project I am sure you will find the help and support from this car community second to none. We will openly welcome you and provide any information, advise and support you may ask for. If you do make the decision to become one of 'the few, the proud and the addicted to more hp for the NSX' you made the decision with your eyes wide open.

I personally believe it is a great project and most of us have done some part of it; some of us have even completed such and undertaking. Do not be discouraged, we would love to have you as fellow member but it takes dedication to the NSX not just the need to build a fast car.

It might/probably is cheaper to buy a finished car than to build one; it is only if you feel the joy is in the building will the effort be worthwhile. If you feel satisfaction in driving what you helped create, go for it, you will have my support and the support of most other members of Prime/NSXCA. We love these cars.:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Good luck no matter what you decide,
Bob

len3.8 said:
Brakes done nicely can easily be 10K
Suspension Done nicely can easily be 10K

Tires lets see.
Approx 3k miles out of the rears being gentle.
Lets say you do 10K a year (You will want to drive it a lot) So we will strech out to 4 sets on the rear.
You want a nice patch on the rear so that's 10-10.5 inch wheels back there, in My case that is 275/285 30 x 19
Mich cost me about 550 per side mounted and balanced Plus shipping 15 per set = 60 that's about 5k on the rears.
Those big tires go on big wheels , so I will assume Jorligan, as I know he is very smart, included wheels, That was easily 5k, front tires wear at 1 for every 2 so 2 sets at 300 per side thats 1200
Alignment setting each tire change and set up 200 x 4 = 800 Not quite 20k , Not quite 20K, but you have to understand his reasoning. Especially if you know that , you should at least have 11s on the rear with a 335 stuck under there to give you more traction, because the 10s and 10.5s spin like they are size 5s.

But hey it's only money!!!! A WHOLE HELLUVA LOT OF IT!!!:wink: A lot of people around here have done it.
A lot of people were smart enough not to.

Upside it's fun.. Until somebody breaks the first trans.:biggrin:

In the last 5 yrs I have driven my car a little over 8000 miles and gone thru rear tires 5 times, each time I changed brand and the wheels, so I changed the fronts too. I think Im getting better gas mileage than tire mileage:wink:

Back