NSX right car for me?

I wouldn't overlook the 2003 cobra either...especially since you know the FI route is a great one to go for big horsepower! They can be put into the 11s for alot less than 90% of the cars out there.

It is still a Ford but does have a warranty. They've cleaned that car up but not enough in my opinion, but a new 03 cobra vs. a 91-93 NSX....that'd be a tough choice (although, I made mine and don't regret it the least bit! :cool: )

Oh, don't forget about a saleen s281E (supercharged) or a s351.

Or how about a classic? Maybe a 454 Chevelle SS?? :D :eek:

Cody,
You are right, when you return you do deserve to spoil yourslef a little. And God bless you for going and fighting for the rest of us. Remember to keep your head down and don't volunteer for sh--.

My point is just that you still need to keep your eye on the future, 5 years down the road, etc. Planning is what makes the difference because as you are living day by day, the future is happening.

When you buy an NSX upon your return, shop wise and buy a good car that will be worth what you paid when you at some point decide to sell with it, regardless of how many years or decades later that is. Be safe.

Cody,

First of all, thank you for defending the freedom of Americans everywhere. You guys are all heroes.

My opinion of a great sports car for you given your budget is a 2002 ZO6. I had an 03' with a fully built ATI procharger pushing over 590 RWHP. A well tuned blown ZO6 is hard to beat and performance parts for Vettes are relatively affordable. The ZO6's are very good handling cars as well.

It definitely lacks the finesse, quality and overall balance of the NSX, but if performance is your priority, you can't go wrong with a ZO6.

The best thing about the C5 ZO6 is by the time you return in 12-18 months, the C6 will have been out for over a year and the new generation ZO6 may be out as well further depreciating the "old" ZO6 within your stated budget.

I sold my supercharged ZO6 because it was not refined enough for me and being a tuner car; it constantly needed tinkering to maintain peak performance. I just did not have the patience.

I would love to see you join us fellow NSX owners, but I don't know if it has enough power to satisfy you. If you can overlook its relative shortfall in power; then go for the NSX, because it does everything else so well.

I am a new NSX owner and love the overall combination of precise handling, quality, semi-exotic looks and exclusivity that cannot be matched for the price. However, I do miss the effortless power of my ZO6 and 996 tt.

Overall, I love my NSX. It is a great car.

Good luck with your choice and most of all be safe over there.

Last edited:
Another great thing about the C5 is it will depreciate in value enough in that short period of time that you'll likely no longer care about it, clearing the way to get that new C6. On the other hand, you'll love your NSX so much, that parting with it, despite holding very steady value in the re-sale market, will be a far more difficult decision. If you CRAVE variety, then get the 'vette, as you will become bored with it and in need of a change. On an up-note, not only will you be able to trade your over-seas experiences with the 'vette owners, you'll be able to see just how different their WW2 stories will be from your own adventures. Get the NSX, be exclusive, live the dream!

I can appreciate those that just have to have the brute horsepower - I was the same way once upon a time.

Now I am more interested in a package that does it all well, or in the case of the NSX, exceptionally well.

The Corvettes are nice and really inexpensive too. You get a lot for what you pay. I just do not believe they are a wise vehicle becasue of the the accelerated depreciation they experience in comparison to the NSX.

I still like the C-5, but if I were planning on buying a Corvette, I would wait for the C-6........just my 2 cents.

Cairo94507 said:
I can appreciate those that just have to have the brute horsepower - I was the same way once upon a time.

Now I am more interested in a package that does it all well, or in the case of the NSX, exceptionally well.

The Corvettes are nice and really inexpensive too. You get a lot for what you pay. I just do not believe they are a wise vehicle becasue of the the accelerated depreciation they experience in comparison to the NSX.

I still like the C-5, but if I were planning on buying a Corvette, I would wait for the C-6........just my 2 cents.

Cairo,

I agree with your comments. I believe as well that the NSX is a fantastic "overall" everyday sports car.

I also agree that the C6 will definitely be superior to the C5, specifically the interior design and quality. However, the C5 is within Cody's price range.

Cheers!

NoSeX4U said:
Another great thing about the C5 is it will depreciate in value enough in that short period of time that you'll likely no longer care about it, clearing the way to get that new C6. On the other hand, you'll love your NSX so much, that parting with it, despite holding very steady value in the re-sale market, will be a far more difficult decision. If you CRAVE variety, then get the 'vette, as you will become bored with it and in need of a change. On an up-note, not only will you be able to trade your over-seas experiences with the 'vette owners, you'll be able to see just how different their WW2 stories will be from your own adventures. Get the NSX, be exclusive, live the dream!

Haha, thats the thing, Im too damn young too own a vette;)

Im not really looking for a car I can build into a Supercar killer, ive had my experiences w/ monster cars and I just dont have the time and money at this point in my life to keep them on the road. The NSX incorporates many of the same things my FD did, but it has some reliabilty whereas the FD is the biggest factory engineered lemon on earth. The reliabilty issue is the sole reason im looking at it. This vehicle has to be my only car(other than a Yamaha R6 i putz around on) so it needs to be reliable. Unfortunately the more I think about it the more I feel i need to go w/ a MKIV Supra......damn

QuickFD said:
Haha, thats the thing, Im too damn young too own a vette;)

Im not really looking for a car I can build into a Supercar killer, ive had my experiences w/ monster cars and I just dont have the time and money at this point in my life to keep them on the road. The NSX incorporates many of the same things my FD did, but it has some reliabilty whereas the FD is the biggest factory engineered lemon on earth. The reliabilty issue is the sole reason im looking at it. This vehicle has to be my only car(other than a Yamaha R6 i putz around on) so it needs to be reliable. Unfortunately the more I think about it the more I feel i need to go w/ a MKIV Supra......damn

It sounds like you have answered your own question. The RX7 should be out of your decision process, since the reliability is poor.

In regards to a Supra TT; it does not come close to an NSX for the "overall" sports car experience. In my opinion, Supras are boring to drive and to look at. However, since reliability was your sole reason for considering the NSX, you should probably choose the Supra. They are very reliable and replacement parts will be less expensive than the NSX; and if you ever decide to build a supercar killer, there is no better choice. :)

Good luck!

Yeah, I did answer my own question, and thats what angers me. Its gonna be a real shock going from a super-powerful and nimble FD to that pig of a car, the Supra. But like I said, I have lots of time to think about it, and shop around. Ill definately take a few NSX's out for a spin, just to get some first-hand knowledge, who knows I still may go that route. But, once again, thanks alot. You guys here at this forum have been more than helpful. I'll definately put in a good word for you guys over on Nopistons.com
Its nice to meet some gearheads that are open minded w/ some maturity to back it up!

Thanks again, Cody

Cody,

One final thing. If you decide to go with the Supra; just know that its just a single turbo away from Superbike killer status. I witnessed a fully built single turbo Supra outrun a turbocharged Suzuki Hayabusa from 60-170 MPH. WOW!!

CerberusM5 said:
Cody,

One final thing. If you decide to go with the Supra; just know that its just a single turbo away from Superbike killer status. I witnessed a fully built single turbo Supra outrun a turbocharged Suzuki Hayabusa from 60-170 MPH. WOW!!

Oh yeah, Im real familiar w/ the Supra and I know its capabilities, the thing that makes me a littly shady about it is, I love the twisties! Plus they are dyno-queens, At around 500hp I was just about dead even w/ a 900hp Supra one of my buddies had.

If you really enjoy the backroads, then the Supra is definitely going to feel like a PIG compared to a 2800 lbs RX7. Sounds like your RX7 had some serious power. Maybe you should find a clean 94' R2, since you know them inside and out.

Not to regress, but have you driven an 02'-04' ZO6? The car is very impressive bone stock and most of the guys that I know that own them are in their 20's-30's. However, if you join the Corvette club, that is another story.

Yeah, the Z06 is definately on my list of cars to check out in depth.

My second RX7 was a hell of a car. Stage 3 rebuild KD rotary, bridge ported. T-78 Greddy Turbo. Haltek E6k, Custom made HKS 4-row intercooler. Those are the major things Was good for about 500hp at a moderatre boost level. Was running 11s in my homestate of CO, and that was w/ traction problems

Cody

QuickFD said:
Oh yeah, Im real familiar w/ the Supra and I know its capabilities, the thing that makes me a littly shady about it is, I love the twisties! Plus they are dyno-queens, At around 500hp I was just about dead even w/ a 900hp Supra one of my buddies had.

This is really, really a true statement. Thats the biggest difference I've observed between the FD and MKIV crowds. The FD proves itself with laptimes... The Supra is nearly always on the dyno or in the 1/4 mile. People set the car up to make 1000bhp under the proper alignment of stars and planets on a dyno, and that's about it.

It's a great car that is over-engineered and makes for an excellent street rocket, but I don't think it's a really satisfying track car the way a Porsche, NSX, FD or Z06 would be. Not that it cant deliver the goods, it's just that it's not really engaging or thrilling to drive fast around a track.

The Supra is a muscle car really...

To me, the Z06, NSX, FD, 911, S2k are in one kind of category and the F-Body, Mustang, Supra are in another kind of category. Sure you can cross the line with either car in either direction (Im 100% sure a Cobra can be set up to take a stock Z06 in the corners), but it makes for a less than optimal experience. The Viper kind of walks the line as a difficult to drive, yet great handling, track car with obscene power stock.

Back