NSX right car for me?

Whats up all? Im new to this forum, obviously, and i was curious if you NSX guru's could help me out. I'm in the military, and will soon be deploying to Iraq, they are planning on having us there for 12-18mnths. While there, Im accumulating my pay(tax free) plus overseas and hazardous duty pay. Im looking at coming home with around 25k-30k cash that I wish to spend on a vehicle. I dont know much about the NSX but I have much background on the other Japanese Supercars, mainly the 3rd Gen RX-7(FD). I've owned two of them, one of them was a single turbo car that was pushing around 500+rwhp. What I'm basically asking is.....what kinda price range am I looking at for a reliable, older NSX. Would it be a good purchase for me, or am I better off doing the FD project again or maybe even going w/ a C5 corvette. The last thing is, what kinda differences am I looking at, insurance wise, between the FD and NSX? Thanks much

Cody

Not much difference insurance wise.

If you want to make 500+ hp again, go with the FD or the C5 because it will cost you a fortune with the NSX to get that much power.

As far as an older, reliable car, you can pick up a 91-93 for around $22k-$35k. $22k would be a high mileage or an 'in need of maintence' NSX.

You can definetly find one around that price though and if you search hard enough and have patience, you can pick yourself up a real winner too! You'll love teh car just as long as you aren't looking for 500+ hp :)

Edit: Oh and God Bless while you're in Iraq and thanks from the bottom of my heart (as well as just about everyone else I would presume)!!!

yeah basically if you want 500hp don't get an nsx...

but I would suggest you drive one anyway before you buy another car, you will be suprised

I just baught a 94

the NSX is the best car I have ever owned. It will do 160 on the open road and is tame enough to drive everyday, although, I do not. I think that you should ,at the very least, drive one. I believe you would fall in love with it like I did.

Godspeed to you and God bless America!

Yeah. drive one. For me it is not a horsepower thing, it is a total performance package. Everything on the NSX just works well, really well.

I have owned them all: corvettes, Dino, 911s, 914-6 (the next best thing to a NSX IMHO), BMW, Mercedez, Mazda and much more. None of those, equal the NSX. Though some of them may do one particular thing better than the NSX, they can't do it all the way the NSX can.

As an aside, the 914-6 comes the closest, of course it was not stock. It had a 3.2 fuel injected 6 with a trick transmission, brakes, suspension, etc., that was really a super-car and regularly killed the turbo Porsche Carreras runing around. But it was not a real comfortable ride. My wife did love driving it though, and she drove it quite well, putting my guys to absolutely shame as she out drove them.

For me, and her, it's the NSX, we are done with the rest. Though she does fancy the Enzo........

I could understand you are thirsty with speed. I had a '95 RX-7 with single turbo as well. It produced around 450hp. When the time I had both of RX-7 & NSX, I realized that NA style engine is more smooth. Although my RX-7 has one single big turbo with strong hp, I still feel NSX is more enjoyable. However, my previous RX-7 was defnly. faster than my NSX(1/4 mile of RX-7 was around 12.3). But please FEEL the VTEC smooth power & enjoy the VTEC sound where just behind you :D

I believe you'll love your next NSX ... :)

Welcome to NSXprime. You've come to the right place with that question.
Definitely drive one before passing judgement on the relatively low HP's.

PoohBEAR said:
put that money and invest in a home, business or something. the car can come later.

Now where's the fun in that Calvin? ;)

Yeah, the best advice given was to buy a house and go to college and get your education. I wonder how many NSX owners own their own home and have at least a 4 year degree or more?

If you ask me those are two minimum requirements for surviving life without too much stress.....it is all about priorities and delayed gratification

Brian2by2 said:
As far as an older, reliable car, you can pick up a 91-93 for around $22k-$35k. $22k would be a high mileage or an 'in need of maintence' NSX.
$22K would be a REALLY beat up NSX or one with a salvage title.

$25-27K for one with high mileage and/or one in need of maintenance.

$28-30K for one with average mileage (average is 5K/year) and reasonably well maintained, possibly a few issues that need taking care of.

$30-35K for one with less than average mileage and no issues whatsoever, excellent condition.

$35-40K for immaculate, with super low mileage (under 20K).

Make sure you have a few thousand bucks set aside in case of an unexpected repair.

I agree that a house and investments should be a higher priority before you get a relatively impractical high-performance sports car.

I think going from turbo-powered to NA power is going to be a huge shock to you as it was for me. There is not the low end torque like a turbo car produces with the onset of boost. That is something that took a while for me to get use to. The revs have to stay up for the power to be there. Once you learn to drive the NSX and use the rpm's to your advantage, the car does get out of its way quite well.

I don't have the deep pockets that a lot of NSX owners have, so I will probably never have FI on my car other than NOS. What I feel my car lacks in power, it makes up in so many others way that my previous turbo cars really don't compare. Sure it hurts sometimes when you get your ass handed to you by a modified Neon running 25 psi of boost. But there is a time when coming in second is not so bad. Like when your driving a great car like the NSX.

I see you will have some time to think about it as you are shipping out. Watch your ass over there and look us up when you return.

the way I look at it, most of the money if not all will be put into buying the car. How about insurance, unexpected maintenance, a new set of wheels, a few mods......and a garage to shelter? At the end, he will be in worst position than expected. Not only that he wont' have any fun, but he will learn how to HATE it. As such, keep that money and invest it in something useful. Once a few more bucks are accumulated, thannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn get one:D

NeoNSX said:

Now where's the fun in that Calvin? ;)

How do you people know he/she already doesn't have a degree, or for that matter, a home?

Many people in the military are extremely well educated, and own their own home(s) and property.

FCD: It's your money, spend it as you see fit -- God knows you are earning it overseas.

Allow me to be only the SECOND person in this quasi-bashing thread to thank you for your service to this great nation.

I agree with nsxtasy on this one. No one is bashing anyone here. I am saying above because I used to be in the service, and i used to be in the middle east getting tax free money also and nowhere to spend them. the next thing i wanted to do was wasting it w/out thinking of of the latter, future, or more important thing in life. Once I got back in the state, I was living large until............well, use your imagination from there. but here is a clue...P A R T Y!!!! So from that being said, i like to strongly emphasize whether or not it is a good idea to spend all the money on an NSX. As mentioned above, consider the cost associating with it..................see? no bashing :D

nsxtasy said:
I don't see any "bashing" here.

In fact, the only post I see that has any overtones of hostility is... ;)

Maintainence costs and available funds for the un-expected are paramount in owning an NSX. Everything is more expensive, the aftermarket, oem parts, you name it. And you can't take them just anywhere for even basic service. Houses, college, whacky dot.com. schemes and all that notwithstanding, simply ensure that you are comfortable with the financial commitment as nothing is sadder than a beautiful automobile sitting in a garage, in need of some small expensive part, gathering dust. Poohbear's logic is sound, and the advice good, but I don't know what you live in, whether you own or rent, etc. nor do I wish to impose a list of priorities on you that may be far from your needs at this stage in your life. So you don't want a house right now. I don't know. But your post wasn't asking how best to spend a certain amount of money, or what long-term benefits might be gained in the real estate market, it was about owning an NSX. So:

-make sure you can afford the operation costs. This is a very reliable car, but basic parts and service are a little more costly.

-do your research. Drive a good one if you can to get a feel for what a 'good one' should feel like. Kiss a lot of frogs and you'll find your princess.

-follow your instincts. Wait for the right one, and if you're set for bucks, thoroughly checked out the potential car for you, and have read all the FAQs here that minimize getting burned, then enjoy the drive. And...

-MOST IMPORTANTLY- be safe, and come back and drive the hell outta your new (used) NSX!!!!!

I really appreciate you're help, everyone! As far as the mainentance goes, I think I could handle it. I'm used to the super finicky and expensive FD, the NSX couldnt be much worse could it? As far as college goes, any of you guys who are familiar w/ the military know all about the Montogomery G.I bill. Therefore, college(or the vast majority of it) are already taken care of. Basically, after dealing w/ the hell hole that is Iraq, I wanna kinda spoil myself. Other than the C5, Supra(not a real big fan of by the way) and FD, what are some other vehicles that you guys may think would be a good match for me. I need something powerful, yet reliable, in the 20-30k price range. Hell, even up to 35k. The only thing is, i do wanna save a decent chunk of change for things such as the aforementioned, small-beginner mods, unexpected mechanical failures....etc.

Once again thanks

Cody

Hi there,
I use to have an FD that ran low 12's on street tires and stock turbos. Fast car, lightweight, it looked good and handled really well. It was the best handling car that I owned at the time and I couldn't believe that another car (NSX!) felt better in the turns until I experienced the NSX for myself. I loved the FD but it was a pain to maintain as I'm sure you know. A small part of me misses the feeling of being under boost in the FD, but the sound of the engine wailing behind my head more than makes up for it...plus I've grown to love the linear power that the NSX makes.

If you want to make all out power, care more about numbers and speed in a straight line then you should go with the FD or C5. If you want a car that does everything well and is easy to drive and reliable then get the NSX. I miss the speed of my FD, but the NSX is just a better overall performance car in feel and better built than the FD or C5. You should test drive an NSX first, and if you're like me then you'll never go back.

QuickFD said:
I need something powerful, yet reliable, in the 20-30k price range. Hell, even up to 35k. The only thing is, i do wanna save a decent chunk of change for things such as the aforementioned, small-beginner mods, unexpected mechanical failures....etc.

Once again thanks

Cody

How about S2000? Comes with fun and Honda reliability, but I would say definitely not up to your standard as far as power goes.

Good luck

My short list:

New Lotus Elise - a great road course car
PRO: warranty, toyota power, great handling
CON: totally impractical as an only car

Used Viper - american muscle
PRO: Easy Power
CON: reliability, practicality, handling (good, but not confidence inspiring)

New G35 coupe - great college car
PRO: Warranty, styling, practiality, value
CON: GT car, not a true sports car

Used FD - great tuner car
PRO: Good power & handling, cheap to mod
CON: reliability

Used Z06 - Bang for the buck champ
PRO: unmatched capabilities at the price
CON: styling, build quality

Used NSX - handling & style
PRO: reliability, styling, handling & feel
CON: not cheap to get more power

Used SupraTT - reliable tuner car
PRO: Mod friendly, reliable, good overall performer
CON: overpriced post FnF, nearly impossible to find a nice stockish 6spd TT.

NSXWIND said:
How about S2000? Comes with fun and Honda reliability, but I would say definitely not up to your standard as far as power goes.

Good luck

I love the S2000, yet not quite quite powerful enough. Plus I heard they can be quite expensive to mod?

Back