NSX replacement Delayed

austrian type-R said:
I hate that comments like " a V10 will be nothing special" ......wtf....do you want a V36 to be special? Hence, I rather would have a nice high reving, short stroke V8 than a heavy ass V12.

Exactly, a decent V8 would do the trick just fine. Engine technology to produce 500 HP (+/-) is readily available - V8, V10, V12, supercharged, turbocharged, etc. What has been Honda working on that is taking 20 years since the first NSX? A V10 - ok, fine, but that is nothing new - nothing that would take years and years to perfect. If could see if they were aiming to outgun the Veryron and needed something to compete with its quad-turbo, W16 engine - that was a brand new engine and I could understand why Bugatti needed a few years to make it work.

I think the vast majority of NSX owners would be delighted with a compact, high-revving V8 making 450 HP - similar to what's in the F430. I'd rather have that today over a V10 in 4 years.

austrian type-R said:
I hate that comments like " a V10 will be nothing special" ......wtf....do you want a V36 to be special? Hence, I rather would have a nice high reving, short stroke V8 than a heavy ass V12.

I agree. I think they should borrow technology and engineers from their motorcycle division and build a small high revving V8. They should be able to make 500hp in a light weight four liter package. Several companies are already building such engines, one is the 2.6L 360HP (138HP/liter) v8 that powers the radical SR8. See http://www.radicalextremesportscars.com/news_folder/v8stepsup/indexspec.php for specs.

Scin said:
I agree. I think they should borrow technology and engineers from their motorcycle division and build a small high revving V8. They should be able to make 500hp in a light weight four liter package. Several companies are already building such engines, one is the 2.6L 360HP (138HP/liter) v8 that powers the radical SR8.

What's the typical lifespan of motorcycle engines?

I would guess that because of piston speeds and high redlines/seeing redline often vs. car engines that there's no way one can reasonably expect 200K+ miles without rebuilds.

Vancehu said:
I think th eindustry should define the word "Exotic" and "Super."
I view exotic as a car that is in a very limited production, high in price, and difficult to obtain, cars such as Ferrari F40/F50/Enzo,Porsche Carerra GT, SLR Vision, Veyron, Ford GT, etc.

Super cars are the cars that can achieve extrodinary performance but obtain-able: NSX, P 911 (Variations), Corvette, Elise, etc.

I see it exactly opposite to you.

Exotic is NSX, 911 Turbo, Lotus Esprit

Supercar is an ENZO, Pagani, Carrera GT. Those are now being referred to as "Hyper-Exotic" by some car mags.

MoreRPMs said:
What's the typical lifespan of motorcycle engines?

I would guess that because of piston speeds and high redlines/seeing redline often vs. car engines that there's no way one can reasonably expect 200K+ miles without rebuilds.

Most motorcycles are either not ridden that much, or get wrecked :P However you are right, they are less reliable. I think the Japanese sport bike engines are good for 100k with regular maintenance. The engines have lots of exotic and high performance parts, such as titanium valves, springs, rods etc... and lots of forged stuff mixed in where titanium isn't used. This allows them to get a suprising level of reliablity and power. Clutches can go pretty quick however.

I've read on several occassions CBR900 (Honda sport bike) engines going 300K miles without any internal work. Pretty impressive. Bike engines will go forever as long as it is properly stored away for winter and maintained. On the CBR900 engine, it needed valve adjustments early in its life (around 30K miles), then once again at 90K miles. AFter that, no valve adjustments up to 300K miles.

Production Motorcycle engines in general do not have as high piston speeds as your F1 or your S2000 engine. It has a short stroke, allowing it to rev high without excessive piston speeds (exceeding 5000 ft/sec)

Scin said:
Honda expectations require a super car than can go 200k miles with little more then normal maintenance.

What do you consider normal maintenance? Timing belts? Clutch replacement? As the power and complexity of cars increase, Honda's included, the definition and cost of normal maintenance increases.

I just took my wife's 05 RL (1 year old with 13k miles) in for "normal service" last week - $250. The oil change was $30, tire rotation was $20. So far so good. Replacement of the SH-AWD rear differential fluid was $200. And its a regular service item every 12k miles. I've owned AWD cars before - our other car has AWD - and I didn't have to change the differential fluid regularly. In fact, I can't recall ever replacing it during the time I owned an AWD car (about 3-4 years).

I have a little voice that keeps telling me....

that Honda is just buying time to see what the market and competition are going to be like in the next couple of years and then once they realize that they cannot produce a overwhelmingly superior or compelling car, they will just announce that they have indefinitely postponed any NSX replacement and are going to focus on dreary but capable money making econocars and econoSUVs.

I feel that Honda has lost the b**ls to fight with the likes of Ferrari etc.

I feel that the NSX while a great product was a STUNNINGLY painful pill for Honda to swallow financially and they are VERY (VERY) afraid of another such bitter pill.

I think I am going to keep my beautiful NSX for a very long time, use it daily and enjoy its inherent goodness. It is still, the most beautifully designed, most wonderfully engineered and more than sufficiently capable Super car that was made for daily use with utter reliability.

I feel that I respect Honda's racing heritage and technology more than they do. And that is a shame.

TC said:
What do you consider normal maintenance? Timing belts? Clutch replacement? As the power and complexity of cars increase, Honda's included, the definition and cost of normal maintenance increases.

I just took my wife's 05 RL (1 year old with 13k miles) in for "normal service" last week - $250. The oil change was $30, tire rotation was $20. So far so good. Replacement of the SH-AWD rear differential fluid was $200. And its a regular service item every 12k miles. I've owned AWD cars before - our other car has AWD - and I didn't have to change the differential fluid regularly. In fact, I can't recall ever replacing it during the time I owned an AWD car (about 3-4 years).

Fluid, oil filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, plug wires... that sort of thing.

no comparison in my opinion, nsx is much higher quality construction, probably the most well balanced sports car i have ever driven, and i have driven them all. as for the performance, that's what comptech and SOS are for.

Re: I have a little voice that keeps telling me....

liftcontrol said:
I feel that Honda has lost the b**ls to fight with the likes of Ferrari etc.

Perhaps you are right. Especially sad when Honda flattened Ferrari with the NSX's arrival. Honda's management needs to watch Rocky III... yes, they were a champion and lost a fight, and perhaps now they are old and flabby and don't speak as clearly as Stallone :rolleyes: ...but Honda still has what it takes to be a Champion. :D

oh my god...by 2010? That is a long way to go!!!

by 2010, here is what will happen...

Ferrari F430 -> Ferrari F500 perhaps? with 600hp?
Dodge Viper -> 600-650hp 9.0L or 10.0L V10?
Corvette C7 Z06 -> 8.0L V8 with 600+hp?
Ford might introduce the GT replacement, probably with 600+hp
Porsche 911 Turbo -> 600hp stock?
Lamborghini Gallardo replacement -> 600hp V10?

damn...Honda better make a supercar with a 600+hp V12 in it...:eek:

Back