NSX Reliability

Something to watch out for in '91's and '92's is the potential for a faulty transmission counterbalance shaft snap ring. Be sure that the car is not in the faulty snap-ring range or, if it is, that it's been repaired. See the Prime FAQ section for specifics, transmission numbers, #'s, etc. If it is in the faulty range and hasn't been repaired, a failure could cost you around $2k or more in repair bills. Overall, however, the NSX is likely the most reliable of all exotics.
First of all, what's faulty is the transmission case, not the snap ring. Second of all, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a car in the range of affected transmissions, as long as I were familiar with the symptoms so I could recognize them if and when they occur so that I could park it and get it fixed at that time.

Everyone has addressed your questions thoroughly, but being recently removed from college (4 years), I would suggest to hold off. With that said, I do not know your financial situation (i.e. you have steady substantial income, your folks don't mind helping out, etc). I did not come from a lot of money, so I worked to pay for my "toys" I purchased. I can't lie to you, I loved every minute of it!:biggrin: However, now that I look back, I would love to have some of the money back that I blew on cars. Now that I am becoming established in my career (I'm also dual income, as my wife works) I realize some of that "appreciating" investments I could make if I had that money back and I have made some already.

I apologize for getting long-winded, but just think it over for a while. You might have a great use for the money you will spend in the years to come. And still be able to own an NSX!:wink:

Good luck, and enjoy your college days!

The s2000 feels extremely like a go kart racer...

:confused: That's the first time I've ever heard that! I would not say that at all. I think I know what you mean...you're using go-kart in the sense in that it feels a little "cheaper" and smaller;

I would tend to feel that the closer a car can feel to a go-kart, the better. The Lotus Elise truly feels like a go-kart. And that's a good thing. More responsive, raw, pure. The S2000 is much more refined than the Elise or the NSX. The NSX is definitely more responsive and pure. It's an exotic performance car while the S2000 is a true production sportscar.

I'm sure many would argue the S2000 is easier to drive but the NSX is very easy to drive also. I don't know about anyone else but it feels more cramped in the cabin of the S2000 to me.

The bottom line is they are two very different cars and you've got to drive them both to figure out what you want.

As far as college parking, remember, the NSX is an exotic car. A E46 or an S2000 is not. Most people have never seen an NSX and don't know what it is. It gets a lot of attention, even in places where there are lots of them like in SoCal. People come over, put their hands on it to look inside, take pictures of it with their camera phones with them leaning/sitting on it, etc.

Also, there are a lot of young people who get very jealous of such cars when they see a peer driving one and won't hesitate to vandalize the car.

I would not get an NSX if you're going to be parking it in the student lot on campus. Keep the E46 through school, save up during that time and get an NA2 NSX instead.

Black/Ivory is a great color combo. If the car is in very good condition with no deferred maintenance $26K is a very, very fair price. Other than some easily correctable little glitches which you can read about in the FAQ a 91-92 is virtually as good as any other year. It will be older, of course, but that's why it's cheaper. But believe it or not a 91 NSX should be just as reliable as your E46 M3.

My good friend had a heavily modded Civic for years, and then an S2000. He loves it. It's everything he wanted. Until I started to let him drive my NSX. Now he's selling the S2000. :wink:

One word of caution--you'll probably have more fun and run better times at the Autocross with the S2000, if that's what you're into. On a real track the NSX is king. My friend is a big AutoX guy but I think he feels as most do that the NSX is just a better all-around car. And you don't get nearly as much attention in an S2000. :biggrin:

Man you are talking about me to the public forum! Now I have to buy and build the NSX I planned on just on general principles! Twist my arm, man..geez :)

The S2000 is awesome. It is the best car I have ever owned for the track, and it is a blast on the street as well. I was going to keep it forever...and then I drove the NSX. It is a bonafide Super Car. That's all there really is to say. I've driven E30, E36, and E46 M3's and they feel great, like the real sports cars they are...but the NSX feels like an Exotic Super Car, for two reasons: 1) it is that good, and 2) it IS an Exotic Super Car. Where else can you get a reliable Super Car, period? Let alone one that will cost you less than $30K?!?!? If you add a supercharger, there will probably be only be 7 or 8 cars you could come across on the road anywhere in the world that you couldn't at least hang with (Veyron, Zonda, CCX, CCR, F1, and Atom are the ones off the top of my head). Can't wait to get mine. Anyone selling a 91-92 grand prix white?

But, back on topic...keep your E46 for school man, and treat yourself to the NSX as a graduation gift.

Last edited:
:confused: That's the first time I've ever heard that! I would not say that at all. I think I know what you mean...you're using go-kart in the sense in that it feels a little "cheaper" and smaller;

This is definitely not the first time i've heared it, and many others who have owned the s2000 will agree that it feels go-kartish (and thats not saying that its bad in anyway). In terms of refinement, the s2000 is in no way more refined compared to the NSX or even close. My AP1 S2000 was a tight cornering car with a redline to 9000 rpm. Yes, it had rawness which I liked. The interior cabin is quite noisey and definitely not as comfortable as the NSX. You say that you feel that the more go-kartish the car feels the better. Well to me the more formula 1'ish the car feels the better. To each their own I guess. In terms of "cheaper and smaller" is concerned, well...... yes :eek: ....it is cheaper and smaller :wink:

Last edited:
This is definitely not the first time i've heared it, and many others who have owned the s2000 will agree that it feels go-kartish (and thats not saying that its bad in anyway). In terms of refinement, the s2000 is in no way more refined compared to the NSX or even close. My AP1 S2000 was a tight cornering car with a redline to 9000 rpm. Yes, it had rawness which I liked. The interior cabin is quite noisey and definitely not as comfortable as the NSX. You say that you feel that the more go-kartish the car feels the better. Well to me the more formula 1'ish the car feels the better. To each their own I guess. In terms of "cheaper and smaller" is concerned, well...... yes :eek: ....it is cheaper and smaller :wink:

Are you trying to suggest that the S2000 is more Formula One than the NSX? :confused:

If you've driven an Elise, you would not compare the S2000 to a go-kart...

The Elise is about as raw as it gets and the S2000 feels like a Cadillac compared to an Elise.

Are you trying to suggest that the S2000 is more Formula One than the NSX? :confused:

The Elise is about as raw as it gets and the S2000 feels like a Cadillac compared to an Elise.

anything that requires an instruction manual just to get into the car will make everything else feel like a cadillac :tongue:

No, i'm saying that the NSX is derived from Formula one hence Ayrton Senna helped develop it. I wasn't comparing the s2000 to an Elise at all, but to say that the S2000 is more refined then the NSX is a misstatement. I agree that the Elise is raw and I can also say that the Elise is the most uncomfortable of the bunch since I can hardly get in and out of the drivers seat.

I went to check out the 91 NSX today with my parents and they aren't letting me purchase the NSX, they said it's worse than the S2000 and I might die if I get into an accident because it's so low etc etc :(

It's not like they are paying for the car but they help me with insurance and I can't pay for insurance myself because I'm still going to school and I can't work to pay for the car, insurance, and gas at the same time.

I geuss the NSX will have to wait until after I graduate, but at least I can look for a post 2002 when the time comes :biggrin: . Thanks for everyones help, I definately want to go to NSX meets though. :)

I went to check out the 91 NSX today with my parents and they aren't letting me purchase the NSX, they said it's worse than the S2000 and I might die if I get into an accident because it's so low etc etc :(

It's not like they are paying for the car but they help me with insurance and I can't pay for insurance myself because I'm still going to school and I can't work to pay for the car, insurance, and gas at the same time.

I geuss the NSX will have to wait until after I graduate, but at least I can look for a post 2002 when the time comes :biggrin: . Thanks for everyones help, I definately want to go to NSX meets though. :)

Bro, in an accident you might die in either the NSX or S2000, or in any car for that matter. Having said that, both cars are well engineered for safety.

My suggestion is for you to get the S2000

Back