NSX Prices - New Generation Affect?

Hello all, I'm a prospective NSX buyer--like many other owners and wannabees, I'm totally obsessed with it. It's inexplicable. I even had a dream about one 2 nights ago.

I currently have a 2001 M3 but am salivating at the opportunity to get my hands on an NSX. I've been checking out this forum on many issues such as headroom (I'm 6'3"), etc. and have yet to ever test drive one and see if it works for me. I wanted to buy one in the next 6 months, but have learned that I'll need to put my money into a "kid car" (considering SUVs, Volvo S60R) instead so I'll have to put the Acura plans on ice for a year or 2.

My question to this highly-knowledgeable and likeable group is: when the new NSX (whenver its coming out) is released, do you guys expect prices of the existing fleet to drop significantly? I'm wanting a low mileage 02-05 era car (if I can fit into the Targa top) ideally. Any and all advice on planning for this dream purchase would be appreciated.

I have thought about this a bit and tried to guess the psychology of the market if and when the next-gen NSX appears.

I think the following will happen:

1. Some current NSX owners, those willing to spend >$80K will sell their existing NSXs and buy the new one. These people will be first in line at the Acura dealer for the new NSX.
2. The new NSX will create market excitement, steal some sales from C6, Porsche, Fcar etc, and generally draw attention to the NSX. The wonderful qualities of the NA1 and NA2 will be written about again and the NSX will not be the sleeper car it is now.
3. Because of #2, there will be new buyers looking for the cars sold by #1 and the existing used cars.
4. So for at least the first several years after the new NSX comes out the market for used NSXs will be active. Prices should be stable or possibly up. I just don't see how a new, very expensive, NSX produced in limited quantity, will drive prices of used NSXs down.

I assume of course that the new NSX is fabulous with a lightweight chassis, V10, 4 sec 0-60 or better, etc.

Thanks for the analysis. It seems like in the end, the best time to buy is when I can and not attempt to "time the market". I just wonder if buying/owning a first generation NSX when the 2nd one is out will feel deflating? Hopefully not given how hot the NSX is but that probably varies from individual to individual.

Don't let the height issue stop you from considering an NSX, Michael Jordan and Dominique Wilkins drive them.

"It seems like in the end, the best time to buy is when I can and not attempt to "time the market"."

Agree, there will never be a better selection of 91-2005 NSX's than today.
Sooner the better I say.

If the new car isn't mid-engine & alum. I would expect a possible bump in our cars price.

As much hoopla is surrounding the new car, I cant help but think it will not have the mystique of being more or less hand made, built form Honda's top employees at its own unique facility.

I honestly believe there will never be another car produced like the NSX.:biggrin: In my mind, it was an anomaly in modern sports car manufacture.

(BTW, I'm 6'3" 225 no problem's)

well said hofffam, I agree totally. The new NSX will steal the show at its release and that should create strong interest in the current NSX's that are for sale - due to the comparisons with the original, etc. The funny thing is the way the automotive world will have to re-create the word "perfect automobile" since that title is held by the current version....

Last edited:
It's encouraging to hear that height shouldn't be an issue. I'm not planning on tracking it, so wearing a helmet won't come into play. Even then, it seems like previous threads have solutions such as seat adjustments, etc. I've also driven a VR4 which is probably pretty similar in size and fitting in wasn't really an issue. A couple more inches wouldn't have hurt...but hopefully when I get the NSX, I really won't be using it for road trips anyways.

Welcome. The new generation NSX should have little effect if any on the current NSX.

There has never been another car like the NSX and probably never will. It's extremely limited production, flawless design and incredible quality control make it one of be best choices for car lovers bar none.

I agree. The NSX already has it's place in history. A car like it may never be built again. The low production numbers insure that it will be a highly sought after car forever.

The NSX is as close to art as an automobile can be. Hard to imagine a car with more quality than it.

A new NSX won't be a significant factor as it will be an entirely new, different car if it's ever built--which it might not be. Auto manufacturers aren't in the business of losing money. It's not everyday--or every decade--that a company like Honda decides to gift us such an amazing product.

I think it will affect pricing if it will be a very similar car with a V10 or if everyone sells their NSX for the new one.

I don't think it should affect pricing if it looks and totally different such as front engine and etc.

Even if it is very similar with a V10 and more performance - it isn't remotely possible for every NSX owner to sell theirs to buy new.

1. The majority of NSXs running today are 91-94. I suppose most were bought used at less than $40K (?). The new NSX will surely be close to $100K. How many of us can afford that? I can't. Some on Prime can since they have Fcars or multiple sports cars, but the majority can't. How many can sell at $25K and spend $75K more to buy the new one?

2. How many new NSX will be available? 500? Probably not anywhere near enough to meet demand (if the car is as good as expected).

Just a guess (again) but it seems like the the NSX owner most likely to sell theirs to buy the new one owns a 2002+ car because it has a chance to get $60K+ and make the step to a $100K car easier.

If the new NSX is as good as hoped, it might cause a surge in sales of used Fcars, Pcars, and Bcars.

I think it will affect pricing if it will be a very similar car with a V10 or if everyone sells their NSX for the new one.

I don't think it should affect pricing if it looks and totally different such as front engine and etc.

It won't be a similar car if it has a V-10, etc. That's like saying the C6 ZO6 affects C4 pricing.

Also if it's front engined it won't be an NSX successor and therefore it most certainly will have no effect on NSX value.

Based on this article it looks like the concept car IS the next NSX. It is not mid-engine. Little else known about it other than the V10.

This article predicts when it is shown in Tokyo in October of this year it will be closer to production. As is - it might disappoint existing NSX owners who want it to be a better version of what we have now. This new car looks like an entirely new vehicle. Might be world class, but not a NSX in spirit.

Based on this article it looks like the concept car IS the next NSX. It is not mid-engine. Little else known about it other than the V10.

This article predicts when it is shown in Tokyo in October of this year it will be closer to production. As is - it might disappoint existing NSX owners who want it to be a better version of what we have now. This new car looks like an entirely new vehicle. Might be world class, but not a NSX in spirit.

Another ridiculous exploitatious article that only cites the NSX to sell rags and get people to click links. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: That car is in no way a "successor" or a natural evolution of the NSX. Period. A GT-style front engined car has about as much in common with an NSX as the 599GTB has with the F430. There's a reason there's demand for Ferrari to make both--they are diametrically opposed.

Just because Honda sticks a big engine in the front of an aggressive-looking car does not an NSX make. :rolleyes: A great car, perhaps, but not an NSX II.

:mad: What are they talking about. The HSC is awesome! Just need some final touches to make it perfect.

:confused: Yeah, no kidding. What a joke. Are they out to lunch? Is there anyone that didn't think the HSC wasn't (and still is) awesome? The whole world jumped on that car, sticking it in video games, posters, pics, etc.

Maybe it's a conspiracy and Honda is just trying to make us forget about the HSC and convince us it was really crap.

Did you guys miss something?

http://autos.aol.com/article/detroit-auto-show/_a/next-nsx/20070102142509990001

the company unveiled the Advanced Sports Car Concept (ASCC), which for all intents and purposes will serve as the foundation for the successor to the NSX. But unlike the heralded mid-engine sports car, the ASCC will have its engine located in front of the cabin. But that's not to say that the future exotic won't carry the spirit of the NSX. If you look closely, you'll notice subtle cues that have carried over from its predecessor, including the long one-piece taillight and all-black canopy. The front even hints of a pop-up headlight design that was used on the first-generation NSX.

Glad I bought the exact one I wanted when I heard they were stopping production almost 2 yrs ago.
Its not about how much $$$ you have. But rather what you want.

This new car is the new platform.
No thank you.
I am planning my 2nd NSX purchase. But am in no hurry. Could be a couple yrs down the road. But, at least I know what I like.:smile:
See my prev. post prior to the unveiling...........

The New ASCC is growing on me.

I feel the Front Engine Configuration will have good balance especially with the SH AWD.

I too feel that it should be Mid Engine, But I have a feeling that it will less Cost Effective to do FR and Not hand made (Is this true? I read a Post that the ASCC, will not be hand made).

But back to the topic. I feel the ASCC will not affect the NSX price's as we think. What will affect the prices will be the quality of the NSX for sale or purchase. Since the car is limited and considered a Collector Car now, the quality and limited numbers will be the ultimate factor on the pricing of the NSX.

My 2 Cents.

:biggrin:

Looking for a Bone Stock NSX Manual Blk on Blk.:biggrin:

Suddenly I feel the need to pick up a 2nd one...just in case something happens to the 1st.
:smile:

If the concept they are showing is anything close to the new car, it is not an NSX to me and I will not be trading mine for it. I am really glad I bought one of the last ones made. The new car will not diminish the NSXs value in any way IMHO......Steve

"It seems like in the end, the best time to buy is when I can and not attempt to "time the market"."

Agree, there will never be a better selection of 91-2005 NSX's than today.

Please don't say that, as some of us youngin (namely me) are scrambling through post secondary education to get a job that will procure an NSX, and won't be in the market for a number of years :tongue:

Please don't say that, as some of us youngin (namely me) are scrambling through post secondary education to get a job that will procure an NSX, and won't be in the market for a number of years :tongue:

I think it is undeniably true that the selection of used NSX is the best it can be right now. Every year there will be a few retired due to age or crashes. Look at how few Zanardis remain. I wonder what the annual loss of NSXs has been. 25 per year? 50 per year?

It is impressive how many 91s there are - that's a 16 yr. old car! But many are gone. I didn't verify this - but I think the number of NSX sold declined every year after 91.

Rather than gauge the value of the NSX against a possible successor, imagine what 20-30K (imaginery bottom values) will get you in the current used or new car market. I've always used this as a measure. You can find a nice 91/92 NSX with <45K miles for 30-35K and it will hold that value. Repairs are minimal and there is not as much electronic gagetry to mess with.

Regards,

Danny

Last edited:
- it isn't remotely possible for every NSX owner to sell theirs to buy new.

1. The majority of NSXs running today are 91-94. I suppose most were bought used at less than $40K (?). The new NSX will surely be close to $100K. How many can sell at $25K and spend $75K more to buy the new one?

2. How many new NSX will be available? 500? Probably not anywhere near enough to meet demand (if the car is as good as expected).

Just a guess (again) but it seems like the the NSX owner most likely to sell theirs to buy the new one owns a 2002+ car because it has a chance to get $60K+ and make the step to a $100K car easier.

Also don't forget about " Supply & Demand".
My 91 had an MSRP of 61K with a Market Value Adjustment of 30K. Total asking price was 91K. Of course that was back in 91. The new ones are gonna have the same thing happen. Look at spending closer to 150K to actually get your hands on the New Honda when it comes out.

Back