NSX Price Bloat

This is probably just becuase in my older family life I am now able to fully entertain the dream of finally getting an NSX.

But what's with the NA1 entry fees in the upper $20's.

I understand under 50K miles but I've been looking for a high mileage daily driver to purchase and the asking prices are too high.

I don't want to offend people by under bidding thier ask by 8-10K.

But for instance, this car here by byang
1991 Red/Black, 88K, JH4NA1153MT001018 asking $27K/bo

The car has seen some issues, is bone stock but generally just what I'm looking for. (prefer black though :) )
and the kbb puts it under $20K which is exactly what I think it should be going for and I'd be just a couple steps from calling the truck to pick it up if it was.

I know the feeling of some prime members that people being able to join the club for under 20K might not feel so good, but heck...

(just whining a little I guess, sry)

Just to clear things up, the price listed on KBB is inaccurate when pricing the NSX. Your better off looking at the pricing section in this forum for a more accurate price range for the NSX Http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/BuySell/pricing.htm) . Just to let you know, for even a high mileage NSX it will run in the 20's assuming that it doesn't have a salvage title.

Last edited:
As you will see mentioned in earlier threads discussing the price of the NSX, KBB isn't a useful guide when it comes to pricing the NSX.

You will be extremely lucky to find one priced according to blue book. If you do find one, it would probably be sold by the time you see it. ;) I think that the chances of being struck by lightning are much higher than being able to find an NSX at blue book.

Forget KBB. Their values on specialty cars doesn't represent "market" value. That car you listed is pretty fair price.

If you bid/offer someone who has their car anywhere near market value that much you will offend them for sure. 8-10k off on 30k is around 30% off. No way someone is going to take that. Even at a dealer you're lucky if you can get them down 5-10%.

If you want a good average mile NSX you will pay high 20's low 30s.

I recall one instance on here where someone found a low mile 91 on craigslist for 25k or so that was pretty mint. The guy looked at Blue book and priced it. I think the guy had a mob trying to buy the car.

This is probably just becuase in my older family life I am now able to fully entertain the dream of finally getting an NSX.

I understand under 50K miles but I've been looking for a high mileage daily driver to purchase and the asking prices are too high.

I don't want to offend people by under bidding thier ask by 8-10K.

But for instance, this car here by byang
1991 Red/Black, 88K, JH4NA1153MT001018 asking $27K/bo

The car has seen some issues, is bone stock but generally just what I'm looking for. (prefer black though :) )
and the kbb puts it under $20K which is exactly what I think it should be going for and I'd be just a couple steps from calling the truck to pick it up if it was.

I know the feeling of some prime members that people being able to join the club for under 20K might not feel so good, but heck...

(just whining a little I guess, sry)

KBB is wrong. Anything around $20k will be a salvaged POS.

Everyone on Prime will congratulate you if you can find a good NSX for under $20k. No one will "feel bad."

But you won't find one at that price.

When someone is looking for a car, the prices are always too high.

When they go to sell the car, then all of the sudden they want a premium.

:confused:

You got to pay to play. Other then that you are looking at a hand built aluminum super car that was produced in limited numbers and is now no longer in production. If you find any other cars that fall into the same category that go for KBB price or are even listed in KBB for that matter let me know. Personally I think the market has leveled off but prices will be going up in the future as the finite supply becomes even more so. With all due respect if you are not willing to pay the NA1 price of entry (average $30k) you should wait because you will be displeased with the associated service/maintenance cost.

We all probably had sticker shock when we first considered owning one. Think about it, the early cars sold for over 60K and some owners paid 10K over sticker. They have a timeless design and are extrememly reliable when maintained. I think the prices will only go up.

werd...

www.NADA.com

Low Retail: $23,850
Average Retail Value: $26,825
High Retail: $32,625

*service history, modifications/add-ons & mileage obviously will alter the aforementioned figures

I don't know of anyone who paid less than KBB. I paid about $2500 above KBB for mine. If someone paid less than KBB, please speak up.

Re: werd...

Thanks much everyone. I pretty much believed already what everyone has said but just wanted to make sure.

Thanks again, hopefully I'll join the club someday.

We all probably had sticker shock when we first considered owning one. Think about it, the early cars sold for over 60K and some owners paid 10K over sticker. They have a timeless design and are extrememly reliable when maintained. I think the prices will only go up.

Some owners paid $100K let alone $70K there was a lot of dealer gouging on these cars when they came out...but the as they say something is worth what someone is willing to pay.

For the example above I think its more than fair, price is now $26K as its up to date on maintenance and in good condition, but if the initial $26 scares you some of the maintenance might bother you as well, its not as cheap as every civic and integra, albeit its still reasonable for this caliber of car.

Since I've attracted some attention, there is a 92 Auto on cars.com for 24K but the details says "new transmission".

Is that normal? (snap ring maybe?)

Well at least you all have reaffirmed my long held belief that the NSX is one of the best cars every built. So no matter how long it takes me, when I do get one, it will be so sweet, even if it is beat up.

You guys have the nicest damn cars, makes it hard for us wannabes.

trans...

Since I've attracted some attention, there is a 92 Auto on cars.com for 24K but the details says "new transmission".

Is that normal? (snap ring maybe?)
Snap-ring is only on manual transmission of '91-'92 models that fall into the range.

If you want a manual transmission, be patient by all means. Don't settle for an automatic. And vice-versa!

G/luck... :cool:

Forget KBB. Their values on specialty cars doesn't represent "market" value. That car you listed is pretty fair price.

If you bid/offer someone who has their car anywhere near market value that much you will offend them for sure. 8-10k off on 30k is around 30% off. No way someone is going to take that. Even at a dealer you're lucky if you can get them down 5-10%.

If you want a good average mile NSX you will pay high 20's low 30s.

I recall one instance on here where someone found a low mile 91 on craigslist for 25k or so that was pretty mint. The guy looked at Blue book and priced it. I think the guy had a mob trying to buy the car.

haha i bought that car!!:tongue:
i bought that puppy in a heart beat. and it was on autotrader btw.

ahah, you guys are awesome. I'm Prime for life.

I've posted more background on my situation in my NSX:Wanted post.

Thanks again all.

And the guy with the triple black tinted widebody black rimmed piped NSX around the Reston Virginia area........
YOUR CAR ROCKS!!!!!!!

Last edited:
You can buy a clean title high mileage DD NSX for KBB or under :tongue:

I paid under 20k for a nice modded '91 that I wanted as a track toy/weekend worrier you just have to look around.

Now if you want a SHOW car W/ low miles than you're going to pay for it.

Sadly though, the banks will usually consult KBB for the value and if the car is priced higher than what that book says, you might have a hard time getting approved for a loan. But some other banks only look at NADA values which I think are a little more accurate and civilized.

Also, sadly enough, banks don't look at the fact that Acura NSX has the best resale value in USA.

Think about it, the early cars sold for over 60K and some owners paid 10K over sticker.

I have the window sticker for my 97. $89,000. With taxes and everything, thats just a hair under $100,000.

But to the OP, one thing you need to look at is, yes you can get a 1991 NSX for under $30,000, but if it doesn't have the timing belt changed, new clutch, etc, etc, you're going to end up spending a lot more money if you actually drive it. IMO, its a better idea to spend more money up front and get a good example instead of something that needs work.

I paid over kbb value for mines, about $2500 plus shipping to Hawaii. I seen a couple in Hawaii for sale and they were both $30k +. Hawaii nsxs were 91's and up and very low mileage. Can't go by kbb on these cars. Car is not only nice and unique, but it's a good investment! Really!:smile:

KBB don't work on certain cars, other wise, I would be a used sports car dealer and flip NSX, RX-7, Supras all day long and be driving an Enzo as daily beater.

Like a brand new Rolex Daytona that you can't even buy one even if you are willing to pay $2k over MSRP, somethings just don't go by the book.

I think you can get NA1s in $20k~$25k range. Patience is the key, steals are hard to come by, but not impossible. You always get what you paid for. The condition will not be pristine though, might have potential issues, potential major accident history. Buy the car and by the time you spent money to get it where you like it to be, you might as well paid more for a car in better shape in the beginning. $5~$10k is not worth saving for a condition difference IMHO, unless it is a car you don't really care for.

To me mileage/condition= +/- $5~$15k difference on a earlier car, on things I really care I will always by best condition possible at all cost. When you are picky, the $5~$15 suddenly become very insignificant.

I spent 3 years looking for one and ended up paying $34k for a GPW 92 @ 22k miles and I thought it was steal of century even to this date. Based on what I have seen in past 4 years. I can't imagine what will happen if I have to search for another GPW in same mileage same condition, I think I will just give up and go new GTR35 or another monster.

I been through the same process with daily driver S2K. Since it is daily driver, I thought cheap will do. I wanted to get one at $15k, went and look at many they all look like shit, cheap for a reason, so I suck it up and paid 50% more for best condition I can find, couldn't be happier, still underpaid ~$2k than most dealers ask for after extreme negotiation.

I think the prices are too low.

Back