NSX Owner: Caretaker or End User?

I have owned a red 91 NSX for four months. It is 100% original and in pristine condition with 28,500 miles. The paint and interior still look new. My sense is a true collectors car may have 5,000 miles or less. I would like to add on bigger rims and rubber and store the originals. I am torn if I should consider any further add ons (exhaust, air intake, etc.), or keep as is.
Thoughts...

With bigger rims and tires, you have to lower the car to make it look good, so suspension mod like coilovers is a must. Exhaust and intake mods are fine and will not hurt the resale value, as long as you don't go crazy and do a 02 conversion or 6sp transmission swap or anything like that. Mod the car conservatively and enjoy it.

With bigger rims and tires, you have to lower the car to make it look good, so suspension mod like coilovers is a must. Exhaust and intake mods are fine and will not hurt the resale value, as long as you don't go crazy and do a 02 conversion or 6sp transmission swap or anything like that. Mod the car conservatively and enjoy it.

...and if you decide to do the 02 conversion or 6 speed, keep the original parts so you can go backwards if desired in the future. Aside from the notch you have to do for the headlights, everything else can be reversed in full.

Once you start to mod it's hard to stop. Rims and tires lead to wanting to lower the car. Then end up wanting intake, headers, and exhaust. After while the sound of the exhaust isn't good enough so end up getting test pipes/resonator test pipes. Also BBK then after a while you get bored and start finding little things to do to the car just to have something to do etc..LOL

With you having a pristine condition with 28,500 miles and you just got it too. Leave it as is and just drive away. I don't think you are ready to go that route yet. I could be wrong maybe you are ready, Idk :biggrin:

I'm telling all this is because I went through it. Plan was to leave the NSX as is and just drive it and have fun when we bought it. I don't know what happen but I end up modding the car and I haven't stop ever since I got it. Let me tell you upgrade parts for the NSX ain't cheap either. I was lucky and got some great deals on most of my upgrades. I'm not all that crazy about horsepower. That would take it to a whole another level :biggrin:

But I'm pretty much done with my NSX. I think it's time to enjoy it now. Just a few nic nac things i still working on but nothing to crazy.

GL :smile:

The op is concerned about changing the wheels, a very basic mod that many car enthusiasts do, that he had to make a thread asking people for advice. I don't think 02 conversion or 6sp swap are on his mind at all :)

...and if you decide to do the 02 conversion or 6 speed, keep the original parts so you can go backwards if desired in the future. Aside from the notch you have to do for the headlights, everything else can be reversed in full.

I forgot to mention I did pretty much most of the work on the NSX myself here in my garage. That save me alot of money, ALOT :biggrin:

The op is concerned about changing the wheels, a very basic mod that many car enthusiasts do, that he had to make a thread asking people for advice. I don't think 02 conversion or 6sp swap are on his mind at all :)

I don't think so either. That's just to much for a pristine condition NSX :smile:

I personally need to put my own touch, wich is wheels, suspension to get the wheels to fit right and that lowered look and intake headers and exhaust to wake up the engine sound.
Others will upgrade the stereo some focus on performance, etc.
I would recomend you do the same make youre car look, sound and perform as you would like, unless you are planing to use it as an investment and re-sell as a collectors vehicle.
Enjoy the car(stock), enjoy the car as you picture it, with a big smile that just wont go away(with modifications as you see it):biggrin:

If you love the car and have the funds...buy another less pristine nsx and mod it as you wish.....the perfect all original car will always apeal to the most buyers and command the highest resale.btw how many miles are on it?

If you want to mod it, mod it. Don't worry about saving it for the next owner. But if you want to sell it bone stock some day, save the stock parts so that you can return it to stock easily.

With bigger rims and tires, you have to lower the car to make it look good, so suspension mod like coilovers is a must.
Absolutely NOT true. That's one of the silliest things I've read here lately.

Do whatever you want. If you want bigger rims, get bigger rims. If you want to lower the car or do other suspension mods, do them. But you can do either one without having to do the other.

Well if you add bigger rims with low profile tires and leave it at stock height without lowering , it actually will look silly

Well if you add bigger rims with low profile tires and leave it at stock height without lowering , it actually will look silly

Baloney (see my avatar).

Every once in a while, NSXprime gets a flurry of posts so ridiculous they strain credulity... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
yes sir. whatever you said. hope you feel superior now:rolleyes:

If you reread my post, I didn't say the op have to lower the car when buying bigger rims/tires. He can leave the stock height with bigger rims and it will run just fine. I said to make it look good (imo), the car needs to be lower(so that it doesn't have big wheel gap like the SUV). I like the lower look. What's wrong with that? How many owners here have bigger rims/tires without lowering their cars?

You're welcome to your opinion.

Every once in a while, NSXprime gets a flurry of posts so ridiculous they strain credulity... :rolleyes:

Honestly, all bolt on mods won't effect value of the car if you retain stock parts.
You could but the car back in stock form for resale and sell all the performance parts separately.

Generally that is the best option as it generates the most money.
I'd say general rule of thumb is that you can expect 1/3 of the investment in parts to come back in resale used (minus labor)

Mine is 100% stock with exception of changed out wheels and upgraded exhaust. Makes the car look, perform, and sound like the exotic sports car that it is. Not lowered or anything else changed, car has 28k miles.. If anyone ever wanted to take it back to 100% stock, wheels and exhaust changes would not deter most buyers.

Attachments

• IMG_1827.jpg
    IMG_1827.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 91
OP, all the mods you listed are reversible so you can always revert back to stock if you decide to sell it. I say go ahead and mod your car. 25 years from now, don't say "I should've modded my NSX and enjoyed it".

Last edited:
You hear it a lot on collector car shows but its true, a car is original only once.

The car you have is special because it's a rare original example of the car that changed sports cars forever and, as built, it has the touch of Ayrton Senna on it.

You've got something rare and special there, leave it alone.

Last edited:
In my experience. I heavily modified every mustang fastback I owned, way back in 70s & 80s. Anything stock had to go. Paint, carpet, seats ,wheels, engine, headers, blah,blah blah. That certainly made them different than any one elses. Now, I leave everything 100% stock. all my motorcycles, all my cars. I want that factory fresh feeling. All systems work together as designed, also stock is pretty rare. "LOOK, its an unmolested virgin, amazing, sweet" So, choose what YOU like, and do it.

Modding a car is fun and part of the ownership experience for some (like me). We all buy cars for our own purpose. If you want to modify it but maintain its potential future collectible status, just do minor things that's reversible. Simple.

I love forums because they allow a variety of opinions and ideas. I won't judge people based on their opinions, but I will scoff at those who say you *must* do something. Its just a car folks, and life is short. Go and play with it!

As for ride height and bigger wheels, here's an example of what not lowering your NSX will look like. If you dig it as it appears in pic #1, go for it, just change the wheels.
15899067_large.jpg

15899066_large.jpg

Back