• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Original Red Key

Not to hijack the thread, but I got the SOS key and cut it at Home Depot for free! DON'T go to Lowe's.... They can't cut a blank unless you buy it there.

Also be sure to get an experienced person to help you cut the key. The process is pretty brainless but I almost lost a $100 key because the Home Depot employee had never cut from a non-store-bought key before.

<iframe src="https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=E26CF4FE75C555D0&resid=E26CF4FE75C555D0%212206&authkey=AGhxF2JiBqyDYmQ" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" height="240" width="320"></iframe>
SOS Key

<iframe src="https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=E26CF4FE75C555D0&resid=E26CF4FE75C555D0%212209&authkey=ACwonlpX_1DMAqQ" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" height="320" width="240"></iframe>
Experienced HD Guy cutting the key

rebump from the dead... is there a way to get a valet key for my 95? Really don't want anyone driving it even at the dealership. thanks

rebump from the dead... is there a way to get a valet key for my 95? Really don't want anyone driving it even at the dealership. thanks

A valet key will not prevent people from driving your NSX. The valet key just prevents access to the glove box and trunk. I guess you can just a key cut (either regular or valet) and not programmed if you want a key that gets you access to the locks, but not start the car.

As for getting a valet key, it's just like making a new key. You order a new valet key and get it cut, and then it needs to be programmed for the car in order to start.

Just provide the dealer with your VIN and they can look up your key cut codes assigned to your VIN. You will have to provide proof that the car is yours generally. A valet key won't solve this concern.

If you really don't want someone to drive the car then you need to install a hidden kill switch. You would then need to decide what that kill switch does. Prevent all power to car or perhaps allow power but just not to the starter. Just realize that they are going to want to drive it out of convenience instead of pushing it around. Expect a phone call from them telling you that you have some kind of issue, the car won't start. Or worse they try diagnosing the issue and bill you for it. Then you have to tell them you have a kill switch and that defeats the whole purpose to begin with. Besides most dealership for insurance reasons won't let a customer just drive their car into their back lots etc. You are going to have to hand the keys off at the service drive up. Are you going to kill right there and make people push your car to the back lot? Seems kind of extreme, perhaps your best option is to find a new shop that you truly trust with your car.

A valet key will not prevent people from driving your NSX. The valet key just prevents access to the glove box and trunk. I guess you can just a key cut (either regular or valet) and not programmed if you want a key that gets you access to the locks, but not start the car.

As for getting a valet key, it's just like making a new key. You order a new valet key and get it cut, and then it needs to be programmed for the car in order to start.

I thought only 97+ cars had the immobilizer chips in the keys. Hence the valet key or normal key don't get programmed. They just get cut to either be normal or valet key.

Back