• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Original Red Key

Ric

Experienced Member
Hello,
I am missing the original red key and when I asked an Acura dealership to order a new one, here is what he replied:

"The red key is from the immobilizer unit. This is the key they use to program the keys for your car and the only way to get a new key is to purchase the immobilizer unit. The unit costs $364.68 plus tax and would need to be special ordered which would take two days. The part would need to be prepaid. I don’t know how to install it. It’s something that will probably need to be done by the service dept. and they would charge $228.00 labor or if you have a mechanic maybe they could do it. I will need the registration or title and a driver’s license to cut the key. "

does that sound right to you guys? if I have to install a new immobilizer, is the old immobilizer is still in my car? what does the red key really do?

Thanks.

I found this quote from other thread:

The red key is the immobilizer key, that you use to program the system with. NEVER try to start the vehicle with the red key, or you've just wiped some pricey electronics.

so the car can't be started with the red key? then what's the red key for?

Last edited:
If you ever loose your regular keys you use the red key to program a new regular key.

i am moving mine to a safer location now.... just hope i dont forget where that is..

If you ever loose your regular keys you use the red key to program a new regular key.

so if I order a new red key with the new immobilizer unit, do I have to replace or reprogram my existing black keys?

does my current black key have a chip in it? if yes, does it mean that nobody can start the car without my black key?

so if I order a new red key with the new immobilizer unit, do I have to replace or reprogram my existing black keys?

does my current black key have a chip in it? if yes, does it mean that nobody can start the car without my black key?

If you order a new red key with the new immobilizer unit you will have to get your keys reprogrammed.

Your black key responds to your immobilizer so if someone borrows your black key and makes a copy of it he will then be able to open your door but he will not be able to start the engine. The car would be acting like it has a bad starter.

Can the owner use the red key to reprogram the system, or is dealer participation/special hardware required in addition to the red key?

If you order a new red key with the new immobilizer unit you will have to get your keys reprogrammed.

Your black key responds to your immobilizer so if someone borrows your black key and makes a copy of it he will then be able to open your door but he will not be able to start the engine. The car would be acting like it has a bad starter.

thanks. looks like I don't need to order the red key for now as there is no need for it.

I just looked at my black keys, and it doesn't look like it has a chip in it since the key is pretty thin. do you think the black key has any chip in it?

Last edited:
thanks. looks like I don't need to order the red key for now as there is no need for it.

I just looked at my black keys, and it doesn't look like it has a chip in it since the key is pretty thin. do you think the black key has any chip in it?

Your black key has a chip in it and if you ever have to start your car without having a proper key that is programmed there is another way of bypassing the immobilizer.

there is some mis information in this thread.

1) if someone takes your black key and copies it, it will in fact start your car. (assuming the imobilizer is programed from your black key. (some acura dealer have equipment to copy the imobilizer program from just the key)

2)the red key is needed only if you want the dealer to program a new key using your car and the honda diagnositic equipment connected to your car. (this is the expensive way to program a new key)

there is some mis information in this thread.

1) if someone takes your black key and copies it, it will in fact start your car. (assuming the imobilizer is programed from your black key. (some acura dealer have equipment to copy the imobilizer program from just the key)

Yes, but when i said "copy" I meant go to ace hardware and just get a plain metal key, not a copy at the dealer.

seems to me the red key doesn't really do anything. I am not ordering it. Glad I asked here first. I almost went to the dealer this afternoon and order it.
would cost me $364 for the immobolizer unit plus $228 instl labor plus the cost to reprogram my tow other black keys.

Exactly. Think -

Early NSX's had no OEM immobilizer. No red key!?!?

Later NSX's did.

Mechanical key cut = enter vehicle.

Transponder (later NSX's, with of course proper key cut) = ignition.

Lotsa variables and factors in to play. Transponder is in the key head (later NSX's) and largely un-noticed to average owner.

Red key (later NSX's) = something each potential NSX purchaser should absolutely strive to obtain from original/subsequent owner/seller.

Original transponder programmed key + vehicle = duplicate an original key (both mechanical key cut + transponder learn function).

Red key (later NSX's) = last ditch resort to avoid major PITA. Never insert in to ignition.

.02 $ and as Dennis Miller always says, "just my opinion and I could be wrong."

This should help out. Updated this post to state what's shown below is effective for the 1997+ models.

NSXredkey1.jpg

NSXredkey2.jpg

Last edited:
I am happy I have two sets, one grey one and one red one.

thank you all the previous owners for keeping the stuff together :biggrin:

Hello,
I am missing the original red key and when I asked an Acura dealership to order a new one, here is what he replied:

"The red key is from the immobilizer unit. This is the key they use to program the keys for your car and the only way to get a new key is to purchase the immobilizer unit. The unit costs $364.68 plus tax and would need to be special ordered which would take two days. The part would need to be prepaid. I don’t know how to install it. It’s something that will probably need to be done by the service dept. and they would charge $228.00 labor or if you have a mechanic maybe they could do it. I will need the registration or title and a driver’s license to cut the key. "

does that sound right to you guys? if I have to install a new immobilizer, is the old immobilizer is still in my car? what does the red key really do?

Thanks.

I found this quote from other thread:

so the car can't be started with the red key? then what's the red key for?

If you have a good black key, just take it to a reputable locksmith and they can make an exact copy for $30. Acura told me they needed the red key or else it would cost $1200 to install a new immobilizer system. Took it to the locksmith and $30 for a new working key.

Wow, this is the first time I've ever heard of this mysterious 'red key' thing. I guess since mine is a 92 I've not ever needed to know about it.
What year did they start doing this?

wow, this is the first time i've ever heard of this mysterious 'red key' thing. I guess since mine is a 92 i've not ever needed to know about it.
What year did they start doing this?

If you have a good black key, just take it to a reputable locksmith and they can make an exact copy for $30. Acura told me they needed the red key or else it would cost $1200 to install a new immobilizer system. Took it to the locksmith and $30 for a new working key.

$1200? Mama Mia!! Charles from Acura of lynnwood in Seattle said the dealer there can sell it for much much cheaper than that.

Ric... what year is your car? You may not even need the red key... for example if it's a '91 then there's no need for one nor is there one available...

NM... just read your profile... a 2000... then, yes you are missing the key...

Last edited:
Bringing this thread from the dead. With my VIN provided to the dealer, is it possible to obtain a new red key? When I purchased my car it didn't come with it from the prior owner. I do have the two originals and valet key, just wondered if it was possible to obtain the red one from an outside source such as the dealer.

Back