Nsx or keep the G35

I love the nsx, could of gotten a gpw 93 5spd and would've done;

painted the NSX championship white (exterrior only, not a full paint job)
2002 conversion
2002 rear
Stacy's sides
NSX-R wheels
Tein coilovers

But instead i bought an ivory pearl 05 G35 and have bought a couple nismo parts. The thing is my friend just bought an nsx. Even though it's old no offense, but it's still sexy as hell. I seriously thinking of trading in the G35 for an NSX then mod it. But it's not that simple.

1.I'm a real estate broker, so i drive alot.
2. I hate driving a stick in cali, i still have an e36 M3 5spd which i'm letting my cousin drive for college. I Will not get an auto NSX
3. Is the NSX going to break down on me, seriously.
4. Lastly i'm only 22 and i heard that an NSX is very expensive to insure.

thanks in advance

Well, they are both nice cars. Get what you are ultimately passionate about. NSX means no warranty, and probably a higher 'disposables' cost (tires, mostly). Also, be aware that the mods you listed are NOT cheap. I think the fun factor is worth it, but I don't quite have your mod ambitions.

Lets's say you can find a nice coupe for ~$30k.

Add in mods you mentioned:
2002 conversion = ~$8600 in parts incl front, rear, sides (install extra)
NSX-R wheels = ~$4000 (tires extra ~$800)
Tein coilovers = ~$1500 for RAs (install extra ~$500)
You'll want an exhaust to for the new valence (~$1000)
Call that ~$20k total, including a quality install and paint job

Want any perf mods?
Headers = ~$1500
CTSC = $7k
Swaybars = $300
Etc.

Don't forget to budget for maintenance:
Timing Belt/WP ~$1200
New rear tires every 5-10K
New front tires every 10-20k
Clutch every ~50k ~$1500
A/c Breaks? $100-$2500
Stereo repair? $100-300
Window Regulator?

My numbers are not budget ready, but I posted this just to get you thinking about what you want and how badly. I love my car, and would get an NSX anyday over a G35. I find it very reliable, but I signed up for the above (albiet with a lot lighter mod appetite).

Not criticizing, just trying to act as a reality check.

Good luck in your search, and welcome to Prime.

Last edited:
NsXMas said:
if I were you I'd save the money and get a cheaper car, and use that money for setting up for the future.

There are a lot of important things to consider when you're that young.

I agreed. I always want a NSX since college but I knew there are many things I need to accomplish rather than cars. Being a spoiled kid (my first car is an E30 M3 in 1990), I wasted so much money on cars and I realized I could have used those money for a very nice house. You are still young, should focus on your career. Trade your G35 will lose you money, at least couple $k for sale tax you already paid. Just my $.02 :smile:

white94

Thanks for the prices on things, it's just that the aaawww factor and the fact that it's a collect's piece in the near future makes it so hard to decide. I was thinking 27K for the NSX and 10 in mods, conversion and all. One of my dad's properties happens to be an autobody shop, so i could do all the install and prep their with my dad (hobby/bonding together time), and have one of the guys paint it. I was thinking about 40K, which is the same as my G35 when i bought it. Maybe one day? I can have a car like you guys.

Real estate brokers need more than one extra seat in their car.
If I was in real estate I'd want a comfortable, luxury, upscale car with 4 doors that was large enough for 2-3 clients to sit in comfortably. The rear seats should offer a good outward view so the occupants can size up neighborhoods and properties.
NSX would be a distraction for a client.You want them impressed and comfortable to keep them focused on the property not the car.
Get a NSX as a second car and mod away if you like.
I would be extremely hesitant to buy property from a broker that showed up in a two seater sports car like the NSX as you described, and I LOVE the NSX.
Just my 2 cents.

The G35 is a terrific car, but I do not consider either it or the NSX to be the type of car a realtor should be driving considering clients would be in the back seat occcassionally.

Aside from that, if you don't already own a home, buy one! How can you be a realtor and see the way property appreciates and not know you need to get it on that money making deal?

Also, it is great that you are selling homes; are you a broker? Get some education, (formal) and get your broker's license.

At 22, you are young; you need to get a couple of things solidly in place and then maybe buy a used NSX for a toy when you are 25. The desire should be to live on your own, not depend upon the goodwill of others for things, and become self-reliant. Just my quick thoughts....

My 91 costs me $4 more a month to insure than my 04 Accord 6MT did. However, I'm 26, married, have a good driving record, and have a multiple line discount. I thought it would be less, but it's still very affordable for the vehicle you get.

dudes 22, sounds like he knows the game, dad owns properties, hes a re broker, I think he will be fine whatever choice he makes

call your insurance company if you want a quote on an NSX, then compare it to insurance you are paying on the G35..we can't really figure that part out here.

G35 has a largely bullet-proof 3.5L Nissan engine that is in basically ever car they make. It's defintely reliable.

Even though in limited production the C30A/C32B is arguably the most reliable low production engine around.

But service is going to cost you more. Basically it comes down to what you can afford, and if you can handle service costs. It's not cheap, but in comparison to other exotic types, it's miles ahead in reliability.

I really don't drive people around much, but do drive around to attain listings. As for homes they sell themselves, not the salesperson. And yes I do have my Broker's licenses, it's that i'm young and new to the game so it's not going smoothly as other established firms. And another note the housing market is slowly leaking and soon between 16-20 months real estate will become a buyer's market. If i had a parnter with lots of capital, there are locations where investment porperties have a 13-16% cap rate.

I had a G35 that i waited 4mths for delivery (Black, 6sp, brembos) really sweet useful and relatively fast car...
Sold it 2 years later for a decent return, as the 6sp no longer has the brembos...
Saved my nickels and just got an 05 NSX...my insurance went up $10/mnth
Nothing compares to an NSX...nothing...but again, it's all really what you want it for, I agree that you should have a 4 door work car and a project NSX.

Manh,

Like White94, I say forget the conversion. Find a nice 91-94 coupe, save your money for needed maintenance and go-fast mods, and enjoy. If you don't mind having a 2 seater and driving a stick all the time, the NSX should provide you with plenty of reliable fun.

Mike

I was waiting for the 05 model of the Z & G last year and came across the NSX from a friend. I felt lucky that I decided to wait or else I would not have got the NSX.

Z & G are very nice car, but it is far from the NSX in term of driving pleasure and appeals.

As for your business needs, I can't comment on it. But being 22, you have a lot of years ahead of you. Concentrate on making the $$$ now and you can have any cars you want later in life.

I had a G coupe from the day they hit the market. Sold it recently because I didn't need a car. Now thinking of getting a NSX.

They both are nice looking automobiles, so you'll get looks in either one. Both are around the same power, NSX is probably faster due to weight. If you get a G, you'll have a new car with cheaper maintenance and a warranty. The NSX is more rare, but more expensive to own and 'older' technology (no in-dash cd chnger, dimming mirror, etc.).

Get what's right for you, they both seem to be great cars.

my dad has hand fed a couple broker's their commission, but these were commercial properties though. To be honest i don't want any power mods just to have a everyday sick ass exotic car, that's why the conversion is more important than modding the engine. I guess i'll look for an NSX when i turn 25 and hopefully be established, to have it as a weekend car. Thank you guys for being so helpful, am i still welcome even though i don't have an NSX. Don't want to be called out for making a comment(what do you know you don't have an NSX) on the NSX, be it negative or positive.

On another note, those anyone have an NSX like i want. If so could you please post a picture, thanks.

Funny you should ask...my G35 coupe is up for sale right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4561978751

Two very different yet similar cars. I used to love the gearbox on the Infiniti, however, after driving the NSX, I prefer the Acura's. Brakes on the G are admittedly better. Handling; while the G is a force to be reckoned with, the NSX wins hands down. Also wins in dead on acceleration, however it feels lackluster in lower RPM's where the G35 shined. Stereo in the G is better even though they are both Bose. Just some of the first impressions I took note of.

As far as insurance, my rates jumped from 105/m to 190/m going from the G to the NSX. I'm also 23 so that may have something to do with it. :)

Can't say which car I truly enjoy more, but the fact is, I'm keeping the NSX and selling the G.

I too bought a 6 speed G coupe very early on.

Tell you what, the NSX is definitely faster than my G35. Gets WAY more looks in it which I don't particularly like. I'm always worried when I walk to the thing and there is a crowd of people around it.

However, I don't see the any real difference in maintenence going from either. Even the tires are similarly priced. Window sticker on the NSX says there is no scheduled maintenence till 105K. Aside from oil changes, windshield wipers and tires, what else is there?

But yes, I do think that for what it is, the Acura does employ some old school technology. (no bluetooth, no in dash cd, no monochrome mirrors, etc etc)

Both are great cars.

gfunk808 said:
I had a G coupe from the day they hit the market. Sold it recently because I didn't need a car. Now thinking of getting a NSX.

They both are nice looking automobiles, so you'll get looks in either one. Both are around the same power, NSX is probably faster due to weight. If you get a G, you'll have a new car with cheaper maintenance and a warranty. The NSX is more rare, but more expensive to own and 'older' technology (no in-dash cd chnger, dimming mirror, etc.).

Get what's right for you, they both seem to be great cars.

manh3 said:
And yes I do have my Broker's licenses, it's that i'm young and new to the game so it's not going smoothly as other established firms.

i thought you had to be an agent for atleast 2 years before you became a broker.. :confused: im not sure but my friends who have gotten their real estate licenses recently, keep bringing up "in two years when i get by brokers license im gonna do this and do that and buy this and buy that and blah blah blah."

back to your post tho.. i would stick with the g35. its a beautiful car and i wish i could have one. with the nsx, you'd wouldnt want to drive it everyday..wait..yes you would but you wouldnt..youd worry about it too much..is it okay in the parking lot..etc etc..
either way...enjoy!!

ERICKGS3 said:
i thought you had to be an agent for atleast 2 years before you became a broker.. :confused: im not sure but my friends who have gotten their real estate licenses recently, keep bringing up "in two years when i get by brokers license im gonna do this and do that and buy this and buy that and blah blah blah."

From DRE website:

Education in Lieu of Experience

An applicant with a four-year degree from a regionally accredited college is exempt from the two-year salesperson experience requirement. This may be verified by submitting either a copy of the diploma or transcript showing the degree earned. Regardless of the degree, the applicant must show evidence (transcripts) of having completed the eight statutorily-required courses at the time of filing the application. The eight courses may be part of the degree requirements or they may be completed separately from the degree course work.

Yeah, the Acura gearbox is going to have much smoother shifting than the Infiniti. I don't know that parts are more expensive, but I was thinking along the lines of total cost of ownership. If you have the car for X more years, you'll likely spend much more on the older Acura for maintenence. Both probably hold their value pretty well - but at the $30k+ price point, you have to be patient to find the right buyer.

Good luck selling the G, maybe we'll start a NSX/ex-G35 club.... ;-)

SilverStone05 said:
I too bought a 6 speed G coupe very early on.

Tell you what, the NSX is definitely faster than my G35. Gets WAY more looks in it which I don't particularly like. I'm always worried when I walk to the thing and there is a crowd of people around it.

However, I don't see the any real difference in maintenence going from either. Even the tires are similarly priced. Window sticker on the NSX says there is no scheduled maintenence till 105K. Aside from oil changes, windshield wipers and tires, what else is there?

But yes, I do think that for what it is, the Acura does employ some old school technology. (no bluetooth, no in dash cd, no monochrome mirrors, etc etc)

Both are great cars.

Back