NSX natural weak points?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7aMQVMgJPc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU88kPtOfyk

I don't know what that Ferrari owner did to make his F355 sound like a riced out civic, but he is doing it wrong. Or maybe your ears are broken? :tongue:

I would guess even most Ferrari owners would say the F355 was one of the best sounds to come out of Maranello.

Why oh why did you have to post those!!!! I had *finally* convinced myself after 1000 Cars and Coffee discussions that a move to a F355 would be financially catastrophic and borderline insane... Then you go find two videos I had missed that just wiped out all of that rational thinking in a two minute explosion of sound :D

Somehow, the Civic fart can clips dont leave me craving one of those ;)

I've heard *many* Ferraris as have most enthusiasts. I think if you did a survey you'd find 90%+ people lust for the sound of a Ferrari. I think you'd also find that many agree that the F355 is an absolute *high bar* among modern Ferraris in terms of aural sensation.

I have *never* heard, even from folks who prefer, say, the lumpy cam burble of a big block, *anyone* compare a F355 to a riced out Civic.

You may *literally* be the only person on earth who has ever uttered that opinion and Im *not* exaggerating. Are you sure its an *actual* F355 and not some POS kit? I'd bet money either you're way off or that is *not* a real Ferrari.

Pure Italian Sexy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdq00yG-bA0&feature=related

Totally random clip... F1? yes "fart can"? No

Pure POS Ricer Sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGZksIKNuXI

F1? no "fart can"? Yes

The one at work doesn't sound like that, if you're not convinced I can snap a picture for you, maybe that will work better for you rather than words.

As for the sound, it doesn't sound like any of those "F1" sound clips above. It literally sounds like a riced out civic. I don't know what your sample population is and I don't care to know, all I know is this PARTICULAR F355 sounds like a riced out civic to ME. But do continue to tell me that my hearing is off please, b/c you clearly know my auditory senses better than me. :rolleyes:

If you are near my age,49 ..then those older Ferrari hold that special something that you dreamed about then and now can own...its not anything specific its the whole asthetic/smell/sounds so different then the domestic cars of the era...so I get it.....I just decided that Honda's take on that formula is so much more user friendly and robust.

if you are near my age, 24 .. then the NSX holds that special something for me.

I'd encourage you to skip the Zanardi search...
those on Prime that have the good ones, very likely are not letting them go anytime soon unless you drop a heavy bag of cash on their toes, grab the keys, and run fast before they change their mind

there are many NSX options out there if you look everyday and read everything you can on Prime, the wiki, the random genius posts, elsewhere, etc

You have 4 year ranges to target:

91-94 Coupes - 3.0L and 5 speed
95-96 the first Targas - 3.0L and 5 speed (1 coupe in 96')
97-01 the next Targas and rare coupes - 3.2L and 6 speed
02-05 the fixed headlights, Targas - 3.2L and 6 speed

The production thread is a good start to know what (might) exists:
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Production_Numbers

If you want a post 94' coupe or Zanardi, be prepared to search very hard and offer gobs of cash to someone with one that isn't ragged out, modded, etc. There simply wasn't that many to start with...

Last edited:
if you are near my age, 24 .. then the NSX holds that special something for me.

makes perfect sense,,and we see the younger buyers stepping up...sometimes prematurely from the financial aspects, but dream cars often defy logic:wink:

You guys are making this easy. Thanks to everyone for being so inviting and forthcoming with information. I will give the Zanardi search a couple months and see what I find, but should something of interest present itself I may just take the plunge.

Welcome to Prime Ferraripilot! Its great that you are willing to step outside the F-car realm and consider the NSX as a stable mate. In my opinion I think life is best served with a varied car collection and you are certainly on your way...I used to think only owning the NSX was a must but I'm still looking out for that 993 TT to add to my garage.

With regards to Zanardi's you may be waiting a long time as others have said. There were only 50 made, quite a few with challenging histories, and some faithful owners here on Prime that won't sell. You could be lucky but I believe you'll be waiting a long while (1 year plus...).

There are 97-01 coupes around and I think 48 of them were made. They offer the 3.2L engine, 6-speed and coupe rigidity so perhaps search for those but rare as well (special order from Acura at the time of sale).

Good luck!

Last edited:
makes perfect sense,,and we see the younger buyers stepping up...sometimes prematurely from the financial aspects, but dream cars often defy logic:wink:

In 10-15 years these 20 somethings will be 30 and 40 somethings, and I can tell you to MANY of them the NSX is a VERY special car. Which means at auctions this car is going to start hitting some numbers.

Regarding whoever posted that an NSX with ITBs makes a nice sound, agreed, they are nice but a flat plane Ferrari V8 takes the cake not to mention a flat 12 really takes the cake. Strangely, the NSX motor sounds very close to a Maserati Merak engine. For those of you who might be curious, do a search for a Ligier JS2 on youtube as they used a racing version of the Merak engine and they sound very close to an NSX motor. The Maser motor used in the racing car was a 4v 3L unit with gear driven cams, 90 degree V6 (odd right), and nearly 400bhp. It ran at Lemans and won its class twice beating many turbo Porsche 911s etc.

This is my carb 308 on the dyno 'before' the rebuild (haven't done an 'after', sorry) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufdjd-JMFP8 . This is one of the stronger stock 308s in the world as it made 200 at the wheels (most make around 185-190). Now she makes 260 at the wheels and weighs 2770lbs.

They sound nice, but she needs an NSX parked between her and the other. And then preferrably a early Porsche 911RSR copy of some sort to further balance things out.

the ferrari sounds are kinda all over the map,esp the 12 cylinder cars ,for instance an 80's vintage 512 BBi sounds nothing like an F50.A 328 sounds nothing like a 355.:confused:

Take a look at the red '91 that just popped up in the for sale section. Low miles and mostly stock. 28k. :cool:

I have never seen this car and im not affiliatied so buyer beware as they say.

Can we smack the guy who said the 355, the most beautiful road car noise ever, sounds like a civic w a fart can exhaust? =D

Back