NSX mechanical, chassis and DIY wishlist for Honda

Lud

Legendary Member
PrimeAdmin
Thanks to the success of the Interior and Accessory wishlist thread, the same person as Honda has asked me to start a Mechanical, Chassis and Do-It-Yourself wishlist thread.

Example of what this thread is about: "Put the oil dip stick and gas cap on the same side so it's easier to check the oil when you fill up with gas" --or-- "The wheels are too easy to curb; have them stick out less" --or-- "Make the cooling system easier to bleed."

Example of what this thread is NOT about: "Make sure the next NSX can kick the Ferrari 360 Modena's butt!" --or-- "Use carbon brakes" --or-- "replace the cassette player with an MP3 player". Any such messages will be deleted.

PLEASE:

1. Indicate the model and model year NSX you own.

2. Be specific and suggest the way in which something should be improved.

3. Please stick to mechanical and chassis ergonomic type issues and DO NOT list things like "more power" or "light weight" or other big-picture or powertrain wishlist items; they will be removed from this thread. Do not list accessory items; that was another thread.

4. This is not a discussion thread; comment on what YOU would like -- do not debate other people's wishlist items. If you want to discuss or debate anything brought up here, that is fine, but please start a new thread.

The reason for all the rules: This thread will be monitored by someone at Honda who is interested in owner feedback on this specific issue, so please stay focused.

Even if you have discussed an item previously, please list it again here so that person can find all the suggestions in one place. Also, please list any changes you would like to see even if someone else already listed them. That way Honda will know more than one person would like to see that change.

We're always wishing Honda would listen to us... Well here is yet another opportunity! Thanks!

NSX OWNERS ONLY, PLEASE!

I'll be first

Quick change brake pads (pin removal type).

Alex 1992 NSX 5spd Stock

-I would like an easier way to check for the brake pads remaining (some type of monitoring system from inside the car).
-I would love a tire pressure & temperature monitoring system.
-I would like to have easier access to change the spark plugs
-I would be very interested in central lug wheels (for easy change) and this way not everybody would be interested in stealing them as they would only go onto my car (like the Enzo)
-It would be nice to be able to have larger degrees of freedom when adjusting my driving position while wearing a helmet. At the track, I like to sit closer to the steering wheel than when driving on the road. The use of a helmet however prehempts this as I'm 1.81m and my helmet touches the headliner.
-I would like to be able to have a street setting which would raise the nose of the car a few inches higher and a track/highway setting that would lower it back to where it is now. There are just too many driveways, parking entrances that the front nose is scraping against.
-It is not very simple to change lightbulbs, especially in the front and especially in the headlights. My BMW is a 20 second job by comparison.

thank you for making a great car even better

Last edited:
Put the oil filter in a location where it can be removed/changed from the top of the engine bay similar to other cars like the Toyota Camry or BMW.

92 5-Speed

One thing I really like about my '91 is that you can check the thickness of the brake pad material by looking through the spokes of the wheels and actually see the edge of the outside pad to check it - without removing the wheel. This is not true of the redesigned front caliper of the '97 and later, because the view of the brake pad is blocked. I would hope to see this ability return.

Another thing I really like is the fact that there are three jacking points on each side of the car, and the fact that you can use the middle one to jack up the side of the car once and swap both tires on that side at the same time. I hope this continues to be true.

Not sure if it falls in this category, but...

How about making the battery easier to replace?

('91 NSX, 5-speed)

'91 coupe 5-speed.

Two things: while I love the driving position, I sometimes feel like my hands are in my lap or the wheel, when angled to have limited tilt, sits low, about 4 inches low. If I raise it, the tilt factor comes in. I like my wheel almost staight up and down. The other factor would be having a more fierce sounding exhaust note, in league with the F-cars. Even the 350Z SOUNDS cool.

1992 Right hand drive NSX coupe.

Service indicator, for variable interval servicing. Maybe nice for cars that don't get driven much.

Service manual included with every car. Well it did ask for DIY issues!

With regard to Ken's jacking points. A centre rear point and front centre point are also useful additions. My old MR2 had them.

Stop using nasty plastic clips that break off when removing parts of the interior. At some point panels get removed, or carpet pulled up. The plastic clips then bend or break when trying to put it back together. The clips are so tight, that panels can crack just trying to get them off.

Wider adjustment ranges for the wheel alignment. To eliminate probs when lowering etc.

Improve the handling, but also eliminate the need for such drastic alignment settings for toe etc.

Elimate the clunking noise from the clutch/gearbox at low speed. Maybe it has on the current ones, I don't know.

A more effective handbrake. It's just passing our annual road tests now.

Include a proper oil cooler.

Adjustable anti-roll bars, maybe adjustable damping as standard.

first post

1991 red NSX with black interior

Two chassis options:

chassis A for two seater coupe

chassis B for three seater coupe; à la Mc Laren F1 pleeease!

I have two kids and I want to please them at the same time.

keep the ability to boost car either from engine bay or from the front ( at the battery location )

I also like a wide and low chassis so as it is going to be with the HSC, I want my new NSX lower and wider.

I am looking to buy a Diablo in the near future, so Honda, give me some trouble and give us a new NSX as gorgeous as the original one! Then you'll get my money!

2 or 3 model options like in Japan.

- NSX-T for luxury and casual track enthusiasts.

- NSX-S sports model basically the similar to Type-R model with all possible structural regidity in place but without any of the super fancy Type-R components.

- NSX-R for all out weight reduction with the option of keeping the radio and A/C.

Make Type-R parts available if users would like to modify their NSX-S to some Type-R parts. Make various key components easy to replace and upgrade over time. Brake quality must be improved greatly from current NSX. Brakes must be comparable to Porsche GT3, also have an option for ceramic brakes for NSX-S and NSX-R models.

Steering wheels must be lighter and also consider a different turn ratio and diameter for the Type-S or Type-R models.

Type-S/R models should have stiffer linear rate springs/dampers.

I'm sure I got a lot more, those for now.

91 coupe 3.0
I would like larger access holes in the rear interior wall for adding wires for diy.2 now but 4 would be awesome,and a common ground point in two interior locals with perhaps a distribution block ground setup for add ons.

added or upgraded aux power slots in kick panel fuse box(drivers left foot area 4 now but go to 8 and abiltity to handle a larger load, the aux slots should be factory fused to a 40 amp load so you need not inline your xtras

Type S Recaro seats option

In cab :
fuel pressure gauge
2 EGT gauges one for each bank
Oil temp gauge all standard NOT an option

cluster: digital injector duty cycle feedback and warning light.

ECU to module for activating and deactivating switch or relay at predetermined RPM points. points adjustable via a knob with safety switch or hard coded proms located in zif sockets (dreaming here but I want it)

standard larger brakes

option for a 2 way LSD as opposed to the 1.5 current unit

NO TCS
ABS as an option
2 bungs for oe headers 18 mm close to moter one for each bank located where the headers go 3 to 1

Last edited:
Make the clutch/fly wheel easier to replace so there is less labor hours required :D

I do wonder though being that the hsc is a close prototype of the next nsx, how much changes can acutually be done to it. Some of the recommendations from the interior to the exterior would require extensive remodeling of the hsc interior and exterior.

I've owned a 96 NSX for a little over two years. No major maintenance (DIY or otherwise), so I don't have a lot of hands on experience. I did install headers myself last year.

Three jacking points per side are very nice. A central rear jacking point would be a good improvement.

Brake pad inspection without removing wheels is important to me.

Self adjusting valves if they don't have a negative impact on engine performance/longevity.

Oil changes are pretty easy. Filter access could be a little better, but it's not bad.

I'd be willing to try a timing belt/water pump replacement myself if access to the engine was better. I doubt you can do much without compromising the weight and packaging of the car.

A maintenance reminder/log would be nice, but only if I can reset/update it myself without a visit to the dealer.

My wipers don't work quite as well as some other cars. It's probably inherent with the large curved windshield, but there might be some room for improvement here.

A fun option for the hardcore DIY/track crowd would be onboard air jacks. If liability is too much trouble, just include the mounting points on the chassis and let the aftermarket supply the jacks.

Overall the current design is great.

1995 red/tan 5 speed
1992 white/stripped track only five speed

My first request is better underbody air management.

Adjustable suspension, both height and damp/rebound. A feature to raise the front would be nice for driveways and trailer ramps.

Quick change brake pads.

Six speed transmission with dual plate clutch with hydraulic throw out bearing as in Tilton or Centerforce racing setup.

Slightly tighter steering ratio, or even better a tighter one for street and the same as now for the "sports" or track model.

None, and I mean absolutely none electrical "help" (X by wire) with steering, suspension, braking, gas, etc. as the new BMW and Mercedes are headed. Nothing to disjoint the car and the "feel" from the driver. And yes, that means going back to a true throttle cable.:D

Shorter clutch pedal travel.

Better design of the rear of the brake discs/upper and lower A arms/hubs to allow more air movement, or even better to allow ducting of air to cool the discs better.

Two piece rotors with floating hardware for the hats.

Monobloc calipers.

I will post more as I think of them.

Throttle and brake pedals should be closer together for easier heel-toe downshifting.

ncdogdoc said:
1995 red/tan 5 speed
1992 white/stripped track only five speed

My first request is better underbody air management.

Adjustable suspension, both height and damp/rebound. A feature to raise the front would be nice for driveways and trailer ramps.

Quick change brake pads.

Six speed transmission with dual plate clutch with hydraulic throw out bearing as in Tilton or Centerforce racing setup.

Slightly tighter steering ratio, or even better a tighter one for street and the same as now for the "sports" or track model.

None, and I mean absolutely none electrical "help" (X by wire) with steering, suspension, braking, gas, etc. as the new BMW and Mercedes are headed. Nothing to disjoint the car and the "feel" from the driver. And yes, that means going back to a true throttle cable.:D

Shorter clutch pedal travel.

Better design of the rear of the brake discs/upper and lower A arms/hubs to allow more air movement, or even better to allow ducting of air to cool the discs better.

Two piece rotors with floating hardware for the hats.

Monobloc calipers.

I will post more as I think of them.

These are my thoughts exactly, adding the following PLEASE:
get rid of the power steering
bring back the black top coupe, or at least the special order option
Put speedbleeders on at the factory
Brakes with better initial 'bite'
Dry sump lubrication
Real or no spare
Dash visible tire pressure
More complete toolkit, or at least a removable 'case' that we can buy/place or own tools in. Perhaps foam lined? Put it where the spare tire is?
No plastic coolant or windshield wiper fluid tanks - they leak afer 10 years!
Auto climate controls are nice, but perhaps a less problematic contro unit.
Bose sucks. They are problematic, not easy to replace and sound poor. Not a good combination.
Dump the prop rods (hood/bonnet). Its not that big of a deal, but more access = better.
Power antennas break, perhaps in window units?
LED lighting lasts longer = no replacement bulbs.

Mine is a '99 I bought new in 12/99

the notchy shift from first to second has bothered me since the beginning

cannot use a torque wrench to torque the oil filter because there is no room

move the oil filter to the top of the engine as in my wife's Mercedes

I would like the brake pedal to feel stronger and more immediate

I love the feel of the clutch pedal

keep the jack lifting points it has now and add a center front and center rear points

Good luck in making a better NSX - the current one seems perfect to me.

First off - thank you for listening and thank you for making such a great car!

I have owned my 91' since 97' and have done a lot of my own maintenance. I also have experienced the car many times on the race track.

Thoughts I would like to see explored:

- easier coolant change (if possible with mid engine/front radiator car)
- active shocks (similar to the magnetic system on the new c5/c6 corvette)
- Better oil filter placement
- Transmission drain plug at the bottom of the case capable of draining all of the MTF
- More information in the service manual for common tasks (for example - try to change the springs with the information in the manual)
- Paddle shift manumatic as an option (some people really love to shift)
- Easier to change the ABS fluid (no special tools needed)

1991 5-speed

- The 90 degree V6 has a harmonic vibration at 1500 rpm and 3000 rpm. Tune it out without adding power robbing counter balance shafts. How about 60 degree V6 instead.

- If Honda is considering V8 application, please use 180 degree crankshaft, not 360 degree crank. 360 crank is off firing and exhausts sounds are more in character with American muscle cars. 360 cranks also add weight due to counter weights on the crank. 180 crank is even firing, sounds more exotic, and does not require counter weights. The 2nd order vibrations from the 180 crank is acceptable for a sports car application

- Valve adjustments are a back killing exercise. Make the access easier by larger opening or go to a 60 degree cylinder bank angle.

- As the engine gains more miles, the valve train tends to get more noisy. And it is not attributed to out of spec valve clearance. This is an inherit trait of many Honda auto engines. Can this be re-designed.

- Put the trunk in the front or add storage area under the front hood.

1993 NSX

"I would like to have easier access to change the spark plugs" yes, maybe an access panel from the trunk into the engine compartment for easy rear head service..

Adjustible sway bars and ride height.

More room for larger rims and tire widths.

Collant bottles that dont break.

Easier access to the fuel filter and oil filter.

No TCS.

No drive by wire.

Better instrumentation. More acurate fuel press and oil press, oil temp and water temp.

Better stock exhaust note and no intake muffler.

Optional All wheel drive would be nice like Porsche has.

Sterring wheel controls for the radio.(mute, volume up/down, next track for cd)

1994 NSX Brooklands Green

1) Structural integrity in the cockpit equivalent to a built-in rollbar
for track purposes

2) Seats with an appropriate opening in the upper back for the
shoulder strapes of a 5 point safety harness, like BMW

3) No heavy power seats, just simple mechanical seats with
large bolsters like light weight Recaro Sport

4) I agree with many of the comments above, including:
a) more Ferrari-like exhaust note
b) no drive by wire
c) no power steering
d) bigger brakes with pads visible,
e) the R model available in the USA
f) continue to minimize the weight with perhaps some
carbon fiber components
g) no increase in overall dimentions
h) 1/2 inch lower chassis per Zanardi and type R
i) decrease the gap between the wheel top and metal wheel
j) keep the unsprung weight low

Thank you for listening.

Last edited:
95 nsx T

1. bring the type R model-lightweight and fast

2. adjustable ride height suspension, like coilovers or cockpit adjustable

thanks

a few more suggestions

1993 5-speed coupe

############

I'd like to see...

- optional "height adjustable" suspension -- similar to the ones on later-model Lamborghinis : easier to clear driveways and speedbumps, allows lower ride height;
- big brake option, including one with ceramic rotors;
- not really a suspension idea, but -- a true "dry sump" system, that allows more flexibility with engine mounts, and minimizes the oil starvation problem;
- optional race-derived (JGTC) suspension including horizontal pushrods (ala Porsche Carrera GT)

Oh, and match the Lambo Gallardo and Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale in "usable track performance". :D

Back