NSX market in Australia

laski, i cant believe you're prepared to sell your NSX - it's like selling one of your children. All the attention to detail you paid to your car. So sad. :(

Mike, I still love the car as much as my daugther but if I can get the price that I want maybe I'll sell it first otherwise I will keep it ........

i was hoping someone would give me some advice. i'll be test driving the car tomorrow and if all goes well I'll buy it, I'm just hoping that I'm not paying too much for an import. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am not too clued up on the NSX. Thanks

GTJIM - The price sounds reasonable to me for any NSX in good cosmetic & mechanical condition. Make sure you are happy with the de-tuned engine and inability to upgrade the power of the auto model. Import/Aust delivered makes no real difference with an auto. If you do want to mod/upgrade there is a black turbo manual widebody for sale last time I looked.

How did the test drive go?

thankyou so much ozziejohn for your reply. why can u not increase the power on the automatic? the drive was ok but not as fast as I was expecting. I will probably offer $45k and spend about $5k on engine if that is possible , what you reckon ? again thankyou for your reply. ps it looks awsome

thankyou so much ozziejohn for your reply. why can u not increase the power on the automatic? the drive was ok but not as fast as I was expecting. I will probably offer $45k and spend about $5k on engine if that is possible , what you reckon ? again thankyou for your reply. ps it looks awsome

What are you going to spend 5k on ?? If you upgrade from an buying an Auto to a Manual Its like adding a Supercharger to an auto , the difference is quite vast .
Only problem is a SC or turbo Auto NSX will break without strengthend gearbox over time , and is not as fun :biggrin:

You can do I/H/E to the Auto , but like me I don't think it will scratch your itch .

GTJIM - The auto NSX has a de-tuned engine because the transmission can't handle any more power. The auto is also slightly heavier (auto box, power steering), and has longer gear ratios because it is a 4 speed box compared to 5 or 6 in the manual.

Lastly on the gearing, manual box import NSXs will likely have Japanese "short" gears which offers slightly better acceleration compared to Aussie models.

Ricky (SweetChuck) is a clever bugger and swapped a manual engine & gearbox into his auto. Economically this is only feasible if you have a manual engine & gearbox lined up and can do the work yourself - as he did. Failing that, if you're a performance-oriented buyer, you're probably better off getting a manual NSX in the first place, and then over time spending some money adding power & shedding weight to keep it fresh. But unless you go supercharger/turbocharger, it still won't be blindingly fast - just quick.

I don't know if I agree with the detuned engine being put in the auto cos it cant handle it , as they only changed the exhaust cam profile (I believe) to match the predicted Auto torque requirements .
BTW to do a AT/MT conversion takes a lot more than a MT engine and Box .
And I do mean a lot :eek:

Thanks for the info John , I'm very pleased to know I have the Jap short gears now that the Yanks and Aus delivered seems to be lacking :tongue:
God I love this car !!!!!!!

A little off topic (market prices) but manual v AT; I can comment, having both. The manual is of course a lot crisper; you know you're driving, whereas the AT is much easier & relaxing to navigate traffic. The AT (99 with paddle shift) can be "driven" in a very satisfying way. Either way, the NSX is one of the best balanced cars ever made. If you want brute power, get a Corvette or the like. I understand there is a huge amount of work for the AT to manual conversion. Don't bother, look for a manual if that's what you want. Pay a little more for the right car rather than buying a cheaper AT thinking you'll save overall; You won't.
I think market prices are creeping up as people recognize the qualities of the NSX and it's relative rarity. Paying a little more than you plan to won't hurt, if you plan to keep the car for a while; "Price is forgotten long after quality is appreciated".:smile:

thanks for the info guys. i definately want an automatic, so i'll probably beef up the tranny when i do up the engine. well, if you guys reckon the pricing is ok for a 1990 model then i'll probably buy it. again thankyou very much for your advice.

This current thread might be of interest regarding beefing up the auto tranny:

http://nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102734

Obviously the NSX is also about driving position, looks, handling, sound etc - BUT you mention you want to add power - so it seems that straight line speed *is* important to you - so I just want to lay it out:

Auto NSXs are worth a lot less because they are slower than Camry, Commodore, Falcon, and you can't do much about it. The *only* advantage of the auto NSX is that it is slightly less taxing in city driving.

In 0-100km/h terms the manual NSX is quicker than all but the fire breathing V8s, and with ~$7,000 of mods can be at least on par with those. You get the much touted crisp gearbox, with only the fingertips being needed for gearchanges. You get to blip the throttle on downshifts. You get shorter gearing, and a direct drivetrain link between the engine and the road for immediate throttle response. You also have no power steering - and unless you are a valet driver, this is a wonderful thing.

On balance the Auto NSX is still a great car and if that is your choice, at least knowing the above it is an informed choice that you won't regret.

Post up some pics if you pull the trigger!

hey there guys. thanks for your help re some of my questions the other day. i am now a very proud owner of a hot nsx. i took it for a spin today and boy does this thing get up and go! i can only imagine how much more powerfull a manual is.

hey there guys. thanks for your help re some of my questions the other day. i am now a very proud owner of a hot nsx. i took it for a spin today and boy does this thing get up and go! i can only imagine how much more powerfull a manual is.

Congratulations! How about some pics? We never tire of NSX photos :smile:

maybe since discontinuing the NSX owners are thinking they have a classic on their hands.

most of the sellers are there waiting for their price to be met.

some of the prices are finally dropping a bit, its montly on the modded ones tho

91 wide body n boosted in qld for 58k
the red 91 with high km for 45k, im still thinking about offering this guy high 30's for this car. im just worried about the chassie. Does any one have the old reports done on this car????

If its just consmetic issues i think i should grab it n wide body the thing :)

Hi guys,
I want to quickly sell my 92' NSX priced to sell $50K manual 125K must be before sep 29 no rego on the car.
Thanx Nico

Back