NSX Insurance

I'm only paying 568 @ Geico how come your paying 900? Probally because your in FL???

OMG..:eek: U guys have really good deal on insurance!
The best price i got for now (paying Geico) is $900/6 months. I tried other companies and i got quotes for $2300~$3000/ year. I'm so envy on u guys.

Holy soiled shorts Batman! :eek:

I had no idea insurance in NJ is so high. I'll be nicer to my boss from now on (he lives in NJ).

Kid, get married. Your rates drop when a wifey is on the policy (well, assuming she has a better driving record than you). :wink:

Insurance in NJ is crazy. I pay just under $5000 a year for my NSX and my S2000. The funniest part is, I get a free car and insurance at work:biggrin:

I pay $1080 per year through Geico for full coverage on two cars (not each, $1080 for both cars), a 1995 Mustang GT convertible and a 1994 Acura NSX coupe, coverage level 100k-300k-100k, $1000 deductible. Emergency road service is included in this price.

Anyone use American Collectors Insurance? USAA endorses them, but they are available to anyone.

I was just quoted $755/6 months with high limits, zero deductable and a set replacement value in case of total loss.

From past and present NSX insurance experience with both paying insurance and making a claim... I believe only evaluating yearly cost can be a BIG/COSTLY mistake with the NSX.

I'd focus less on yearly cost and more on the what if's. Often times it's better to pay more on the front end than on the back end. Here is what I mean.

I had a fender bender in my 91 NSX back in 2004. Total cost was around 20k for repairs. I paid 35k for the car in 2000 (low miles/lots of mods by teh right shop). I was hit right where it got one headlight, the hood, the fender, the front and lower bumper cover, the spoiler and slight damage to a quater panel... Looking at images the damage was very minimal. I paid my $1000 premium (had it high for low yearly payments which did pay off some as it saved enough in 2 years to make up for the one claim I had to make :)) and the work began... only I ended up paying about 12k out of pocket and the insurnace company did 8k of the damages so the NSX wouldn't be totaled from cosmetic damage only b/c book on it was 19k and at the time and I still owed more than book. They wanted to total it and hand me a check for 19k so I'd be buying an NSX that didn't exist, plus I'd be out buying anotehr NSX. Call me nuts but I wasn't going to let a little comsetic damage remove such a great NSX from the road... and I'd rather pay more and get my car back than be paying and not have one plus have to be paying to get another NSX. This paid off eventually b/c I documented all the damage with really good photos... kept all receipts and promotional info about the Ferrari body shop that worked on the X for me... I also had the entire car painted to match and could show that no expense was spared to get the car right SO I was able to sell the car for a premuim last year when I went to sell it verses doing it all wrong and only being able to get 19k for it.

Here is what I am currently going through... I just purchased a 98 NSX-T with SOS CF WIDE BODY KIT/COMPTECH SUPERCHARGER and many many more mods... book on it is 43k. Loan is 35k. State farm quoted me what seems to be a great deal at first... 1100 a year with it as a daily driver and less if i used it as a toy... I find many NSXers I've talked to recently stop there... being that I lived through the fender bender in my 91.... and paying 12k out of pocket was a real bite in the rear end... and knowing how much insurance companies undervalue what NSXes do sell for... I'd go a little further.

The deal State Farm offer me seemed like great covereage at a great cost... but knowing what I know now... it's good until you put them on the fence about covering the car in total loss area... after careful scrutiny and multiple opinions from state farm experts over the last few days... they informed me they'd give me NADA book value... which (depending on miles/condition) is like 35k-40k they say (I haven't checked)... so I'd basically be 20k in the hole if I were hit and it was totaled. Ask them what they'd give you for teh car today if it were totaled... you might be surprised!

So be really careful... from talking with NSXers over the past few weeks, with highly modded cars, who paid over book value, at 2 different BIG NSX events here in FL... I think some NSXers might be under insured. I found out last time the hard way and it's no fun. I've put about 20 hours into insurance calls/research over the last few days and keep hitting the same dead ends at all the insurance companies I talk with... even the enthuiast owned companies like Hagerty's... I'd really be looking at what the NSX sells for/what you are paying for your NSX.... what you'd owe if it were gone and they only handed you book value over yearly cost as you'd have to own it for a really long time with low annual premiums to make up the 20k you'd be stuck paying if you bought the nsx for over book value and they only handed you book(as most seem to sell for over book depending on year/miles/condition/mods/rare color combos/etc.) The NSX is in a strange spot right now b/c it is not a collectable yet as far as age/being an antique... so they still see it as depreciating... yet I'd own two and buy them all day long to sell if they sold for what insurnace companies say they sell for.

little late to post, but... i only pay $966 for:

2005 NSX
2006 V10 F250 Crew
2004 Haulmark enclosed trailer.

I forget the breakdown but $450/450/$66 is pretty close.... that is full coverage on all. :)

gotta love Central PA for the cheap insurance.

long post #33 above
It sounds like you are making the error that many owners of modded cars make - taking a car that, let's say, is worth $30K, and spending $20K on mods to it, and expecting the car to then be worth $50K. The simple fact is, it's not. Mods rarely add significant value to a car, and very often can reduce its market value from what it would be bone stock. Nothing against mods - get them and enjoy them, if you like. But do it based on the enjoyment you get from them, and don't expect them to be reflected in a huge increase in the car's market value (or in the settlement from the insurance company if the car is totalled).

Every NSX owner I know who has had a car totalled has received within a grand or two of what he considered the car's fair market value, and many have received what they consider to be an overly generous settlement. (A few have had to negotiate with their insurance company, but all were satisfied with the settlements they received.) Will that happen to you? Maybe not, if you have a highly modded car and think it's worth more than it actually is.

I'm ZERO dollars per month because the insurance is suspended (well, $20 for comprehensize) this is because I only drive the car once or twice a month and tell my insurance when I do..He said as long as I don't drive it more than a couple times a month, it's ok... though I'm pushing this privilege.

Reason I don't drive it more then that, b/c it's been raining forever in Seattle!!! Also, I'm so busy it's unbalievable..

I actually haven't activated the insurance yet, but I think it will be around $100 / month.

I'm ZERO dollars per month because the insurance is suspended (well, $20 for comprehensize) this is because I only drive the car once or twice a month and tell my insurance when I do..He said as long as I don't drive it more than a couple times a month, it's ok... though I'm pushing this privilege.
Reason I don't drive it more then that, b/c it's been raining forever in Seattle!!! Also, I'm so busy it's unbalievable..

I actually haven't activated the insurance yet, but I think it will be around $100 / month.

I guarantee you that if you crack it up while driving with only comprehensive (which = fire and theft pretty much) They will laugh at you when you try to claim any damage and laugh even harder when you tell them your agent said it was ok to drive it "a couple times a month".

Back