NSX Hugo Window Regulator Instruction Clarification

NSX Hugo Window Regulator Instruction Clarification

These are notes I compiled while installing the Hugo kits in my regulators, please add corrections if anything seems incorrect.

The Hugo Window Kit has been sold by various NSX Prime members, currently @whrdnsx is shipping them from Australia. The instructions are good if you already understand the process, but some clarification could benefit first-time users. Consider this an accompaniment rather than a replacement to the instructions. My notes follow them Step by Step.

It is also helpful to watch the YouTube videos, search for “NSX Window Regulator”, there are several.

Please note that the spring has a lot of tension and will need to be handled cautiously to keep it from jumping out of its housing, which could be hazardous.

Step 1.

Regulator removal is detailed pretty well in pages 20-6,7 and Step 21 on page 20-10 of the Service Manual, except leave the glass in its up, closed position. Note that you are only removing the inner door cover and the regulator, not the window tracks. To secure the glass in the open position, there is a small ledge on the rear of the door where you can jam a small piece of 2 x 4 and other spacers you have available to prop it up. (I tried two kinds of tape using the instructions and the window fell both times but did not break.) It can be seen in the following picture inside the hole in the sound deadening mat placed by a prior owner (which has a gooey adhesive, so using this material is not recommended)

IMG_2633.jpg

Step 2.

Pry back the regulator cover tabs with a large flat screwdriver, turn over and gently remove the cover. Also remove the O-ring and set aside to prevent damage.

Step 3.

Retrieve the white plastic disc that will be stuck to the inside of the cover, place it over the spring and lift up the spring and its housing. Using the white plastic disc prevents direct contact with the spring and holds it in the housing securely to keep from unfurling. The toothed gear wheel and rubber spider drive can then be removed.

IMG_2614.jpg

Step 4.

Before proceeding with Step 4, please see notes for Step 10 below, and consider pre-tensioning the springs at this time.

When manually lowering the regulator, press down on the white spindle with a 17mm socket to keep it intact. Observe how the wire rolls onto and off of the white core assembly. (This picture shows the wire protruding incorrectly, to be addressed below, this should not be seen at this point in the process, the picture is only meant to show placement of the 17mm socket for this step.)

IMG_2623.jpg

Step 5.

After removing the two remaining core parts, I cannot see any need to totally “Remove both cables from the motor gear case.” Instead, it seems all work can be completed by just keeping slight tension on the cables inside the housing when needed to keep them from tangling.

Step 6.

The roller kit had a good fit and the roller tab between the washer and roller melds well on the regulator slot, install it with the center wire retaining tab pointed downwards. This is also the time to install the new track guides. The white plastic guide on top of the track is removed by lifting its tab on the back of the track and sliding it up. This allows the runner assembly to slide up off the track and allows the track guides to be removed (squeeze them to the center with pliers and remove) and the new ones to be installed (use pliers to gently squeeze them in place). Greasing the regulator track is important, as is cleaning and greasing the tracks remaining in the door. I used Gumout Carburetor Cleaner and patches of paper towel to clean all three tracks. The tracks in the door can be cleaned and greased in place with patience and stretching your arms through the access holes, including removing the speaker for another access hole. My lubricant was a 50/50 mixture of Honda Urea Grease and Quicksilver 802859Q1 2-4-C Marine Grease with Teflon, both available from Amazon. The urea grease alone seemed too thick and prone to hardening, but this is a personal preference.

Steps 7, 8, 9.

My axles did not have significant wear.

Step 10.

Before proceeding I recommend pre-tensioning the springs. (I even recommend doing this before starting Step 4 because the springs will already be tensioned and make tensioning easier.) The following crucial steps will be much easier, especially if you are working without an assistant. Pull both of the black rubber bellows up a few inches to expose the springs. Wrap a small tie wrap around each of the cable housings about ½” from their ends, capturing a larger tie wrap and cinch the small tie wrap. The larger tie wrap then goes around the regulator motor housing bolt, the ones loosened when the regulator was removed from the door. Tension the spring down carefully, making sure the cable housing and the spring and its white guide remain straight, then take the slack out of the larger tie wrap to secure everything in place. Make sure the small tie wrap does not slide down on the cable outer housing and pinch the cable. Both springs will compress fully. This is more simply shown in the following picture:

IMG_2615.jpg

This is a good time to grease the bare shaft.

Then proceed with instructions to wind cable onto lower core part.

11. This step is easier with pre-compressed springs, but assure that the lower core cable wrapping remains taunt to keep cable in its grooves. A small C Clamp as pictured in the original instructions can be used, or just hold with finger and proceed to Step 12 if the springs are pre-tensioned.

12. This is the step needs to be done correctly and deserves extra attention. The object is to get the cable on the upper core part to lay into the upper groove of the lower core and pass into the recess of the lower core. The recess of the lower core can be seen at the 11:00 position, just to the right of the tab, in this picture:

IMG_2624.jpg

Believe me, it is easy to get this wrong. The lower core has to be held taunt while the upper core wire is wound about 1/3 turn in its upper groove, passed into the slot shown in the picture above and also keeping the wire in the slot of the upper core. It’s not impossible, but it may take a few attempts. Once you have the wire in place, then hold the lower core taunt (clockwise for driver’s side, counterclockwise for passenger) and turn the upper core counterclockwise (counterclockwise for passenger) to tighten the wires. You will hear clicks and the goal is to get it as hand tight as possible. A screwdriver can be used to lever the upper core around, but with too much force it is possible to get the wires so tight that they bind, so the goal is a strong hand tight.

13. Use a light pressure on a 17mm socket placed over the core parts and manually raise the runner to the top. Observe the wires as they wind on and off the spindle to make sure they are not binding. Make sure the runner goes fully up and down without problem. It is best to make the runner go up and down a few times to observe for any problems. A couple of things to correct if observed include the wire coming out of its track on the upper white plastic piece

IMG_2639.jpg

Or if you see the wire protruding from the spindle

IMG_2623.jpg

Or if the wire seems to be riding above the black housing and binding on the white plastic tab

IMG_2621.jpg

Install the spider drive and toothed gear wheel, pushing it down fully in place, then the spring and housing can be installed and tension applied. The driver’s side, which is pictured in the directions will get pretension with 1½ turns clockwise and the passenger side will tension counterclockwise. The spring fits into the slot on the shaft, but may need to be bent to stay there when pretensioning. I had to bend mine to get it to stay, which is tricky and may take several attempts and may require bending a full circle of the spring to maintain placement in the slot. This would have been easier if Honda had used some sort of retainer. Afterwards, I wondered if putting a small scrap of metal in the shaft slot would have helped retain the spring tab in place.

Replace the white disc, O-ring and cover, bending the cover tabs back into place with channel-lock pliers spanned across both of them.

TESTING

I strongly recommend testing the operation of the assembled regulator by plugging it back into the door connector, then plugging in the switch. Holding the regulator and door panel while operating the regular with the door switch can be a handful, but it can be done to observe the operation and correct any problems. Take time and operate the regulator a few times listening and watching for any problems. Also note that the driver’s switch has to be connected for the passenger switch to work. I recommend carefully removing the cover once more and assuring the spring tab remained in place during this testing. Replace cover and install regulator.

Regulator Installation-Reverse of removal, the bottom of the regulator track is moved toward the front of the door and the track inserted, followed by the motor. Lower regulator about halfway until the bar that attaches to the window lines up with the hole just ahead of the large access hole, which leaves both bolt attachments visible and accessible. The chocks holding up the window installed in Step 1 can be removed and the window lowered manually to install the two bolts attaching the regulator to the window.

Test the window operation by cycling a few times before installing the door panel. The window should operate well with a fully charged battery and the engine off, but some have recommended running the engine for this test.

Your solution with the zip ties is an improvement over Hugo's C-clamp with its end removed (which requires a 3rd hand), but there is a still easier way (the way I'm sure Honda put it together.) I think the lips on the main black casting are for external spring compressors, which I designed and posted for 3D print. Several others have printed and used them as well. These just clip on and off less than a second. See the picture and printing instructions here:

Last edited:
@WildTurkey, I agree these clips would be more straightforward for those that can access them. My zip tie method was inspired by them, for those of us who have not caught up with the 3D Print era.

A note to be careful with videos. I remember watching one before that wasn't great and could get a beginner into trouble. By coincidence, I prepared some comments when @Chris_Lum was anticipating making a regulator-fixit video. Of course his vid would have been exceptional had he done it, but I think he has more pressing topics.

Here are the comments I made previously, to add to your comments above.
  1. Hugo’s pulley is on the cable that pulls the window down, not up, but less back-resistance when pulling the window up is a good thing too, and what probably most of the mechanism for the improvement.
  2. Hugo could use more details on how to get the interior panel off, as well as removing/peeling back the sealing plastic with its delightfully sticky mastic +/- replacing some of the mastic? My 2001 plastic seal was cracked & torn in several locations so I replaced it, but the plastic in my 1995 was in great shape 4 years ago so I left it. (I wonder if it was replaced by a previous owner when they replaced the speaker amps.)
  3. If you need to replace the sticky mastic, I prefer 3M window weld round ribbon sealer.
  4. Some of the regulator bolts are in grooves for adjusting window alignment, so circle the bolt locations for the regulator at the top where it attaches to the inner door panel, as well the bolts where it holds the window. (You have to lower the window electrically to do this, after the inner panel is removed, so you could change the order from Hugo’s video.)
    1. Window down to make the “door panel” removal easier. (legend on p 20-6 of 1997 SM)
    2. Remove Inner trim panel per SM, disconnecting all switches from the harness. 7 screws. There may be some broken tabs?
    3. Remove the “Inner molding” at the bottom of the window opening that is connected with the 4 plastic clips, IF you want to use Hugo’s method for removing the regulator with the window at the very top of its travel. (Use a trim removal tool to release the clips.) I’m not sure this needs to come out if you are removing the regulator with the window partly down like I detail later, but it needs to come out to remove the 2 window bolts with the window at the top as Hugo shows. You can decide how you want to do it. It’s definitely easier to remove the regulator from inside the door with the window all the way up, but it’s a real pain reinstalling the 2 bolts that hold the glass, getting your fingers in there, and being sure the bolts are in the same location in the grooves as before.
    4. Remove window switch from panel and reconnect to the door harness (optional, but makes it easier since you don’t have to maneuver the panel to make small electrical movements.)
    5. Remove (or peel back/partially remove) the “plastic cover” (p 20-6) rain seal/sheeting. Note that this is called a “seal” in the parts diagram, eg. 72321-SL0-000 (JDM driver’s side)
    6. Raise/lower window to the point where you can circle the bolt locations (or at least one) on the slider where it attaches to the window.’
    7. Line up the window vertically with the hole in the inner door panel so you can access the forward window bolt. The back bolt will be easily visible in the large opening, but the other is only accessible either from the top as Hugo shows, or through a hole about 1/3 of the way down? (pic on page 20-11) Remove the forward bolt.
    8. Raise the window a bit, but not so much that you can’t access the back window bolt.
    9. Tape the window there with a large horizontal strip on the outside, half on the window & half on the “outer molding”. I've done 5 of these now and never had a problem with regular packing tape holding the window in place.
    10. Remove the back window bolt, previously circled.
    11. Disconnect the regulator assembly from the inner metal panel of the door (4 bolts, top bolts circled) and remove the regulator assembly. Note there is a cable guide that you can see on the diagram on 20-6 that pokes back through the interior metal panel of the door which may be unseen because the tab is behind the electrical harness.
    12. Remove (slide them up the cable) the rubber covers on the springs where the cables come out of the motor mechanism, so you can see the cables and how compressed the springs are; make a note of this.
    13. Temporarily reconnect the window regulator to the electrical harness and power the slider up to the top but then back it off a tick so that the springs are equally compressed. The internal preload spring will now be as relaxed as possible for removal.
  5. Proceed with the rest of the repair, noting the other suggestions below.
  6. The door panel often has cracked tabs. MITA makes much stronger replacements. Not a bad price, but shipping from Japan... If only 2 or 3 tabs are gone, I’ve posted 3D printed tab replacements that are at least 10 times as strong as OEM. People can also reinforce the remaining tabs with a 2 mm layer of epoxy, on the interior face of the tabs, not the exterior. Epoxy on the exterior surface will affect the fitting of the panel on the door.
  7. Why Hugo takes the regulator out with the window at the top: It’s not just that the regulator is easier to pull out without the window in the way. Although you can undo (and more importantly, reinstall) the bolts more easily if you lower the window to the point that lines up with the holes as noted above, the regulator preload spring will be much more “wound” and be much harder to re-tension, so you'd need to keep track of the pre-tension while disassembling and reassemble the same. So if you take out the regulator at a midpoint like I discussed earlier, you MUST bring it up to the "top" with the motor before disassembly as noted above. (Just plug it back into the harness temporarily.) Then the spring only has 1-1.5 turns of preload. Of course, you’ll need to reconnect the regulator and power it down to the correct location for reinstallation after the pulley is installed.
  8. 3D print spring tension clips I posted in the 3D print subforum on Prime, to avoid that crazy clamp technique by Hugo.
  9. When rewinding the cable on to the lower drum, roll up the drum and put the cable on without a twist, as opposed to holding the drum and winding the cable, which puts a twist on the cable while winding it. I don’t know how to explain this better, but touch base if it’s not clear.
  10. During reassembly, it's important to bring the slide all the way "up" before reinserting the gear in the regulator, then adding the spring with 1.5 turns of pre-tension. If you just put it anywhere, the pretension only 1.5 turns, you'll run out of spring pre-tension and break the spring when you put the window up.
  11. Personally, I wonder if we should be adding more pre-tension to the spring. I put 1.5 turns of pre-tension and then lowered the mechanism all the way using the motor, with the assembly still open, holding the spring in with my finger to see how much of the spring was used up. There was still lots of room on the spring. While more preload would make it harder to move the window down, the motor had absolutely no difficulty pulling the slider down, even without the weight of the window which would assist it when it is carrying the window, so it will have no trouble pulling the window down, and a bit more preload might assist pulling the window up, which is where people seem to have the problem. I wound up chickening out and just doing the 1.5 turns recommended by Hugo & the window works well.
  12. Cleaning the other slides that the window slides on? This isn’t easy. The specific urea grease from Honda seems to work well, if you can clean up some of the old grease. (This is much easier with the window at the top, so do this after the regulator assembly is reinstalled so you can move the window out of the way.) I’m really not sure what to do about the old grease. One of my friends had dirty mess in there (I suspect someone was in earlier and just slathered grease everywhere, trying to fix a slow window, but my 2001 was pretty clean and moved pretty smoothly so I just left it.
  13. I think Honda’s Urea grease is excellent for the slides, but regular grease seems to be what is inside the regulator assembly. I used the urea grease on my 1995 slides, 4 years ago, & the windows were great at least after 4 years anyway. Prime has some other ideas as well: https://www.nsxprime.com/threads/thinking-on-window-rail-grease.215408/#post-2061963
  14. Note: put a little urea grease on that large round rod that the part that holds the window slides on laterally while the window is going up and down or you can get a terrible "clunking" when raising the window at about 2/3 the way up. Can't remember who posted on this in the past, perhaps @Old Guy ?
  15. I can’t figure out why the harness wires going to the motor are such small gauge. The motor must draw significant current. What’s perplexing is that the wires are large from the motor to the connector, but small after the connector going back into the harness? I think this is part of the problem & I bet the voltage drop is significant when the motor is lifting the window, which will increase the current, dropping the voltage. I wish I'd made some measurements when I had it apart.
  16. Advice to raise the window(s) only when the engine is running; the alternator provides higher voltage than the battery, decreasing the strain on the motor. I actually noticed an improvement switching to an AGM battery, improved even more with a LiFePO4, but I'm not sure how much of that was Placebo.
Hope that helps,

Last edited:
Back