NSX for salvage

Hey guys i'm kinda new, but i was looking to buy this nsx, but i'm not too sure if its worth the hassle of repairing it. The good points are that its only done 44k, is a 1997 P plate, colour is metallic purple(very rare over here) and bar the damage to the right hand side, in good condition. It should be sold for £35K over here, but its down at £12495 reduced from £19995. Has anyone here got any input as to whether its worth fixing this car up?

http://www.carwoodautosalvage.com/p_nissan_nsx____________________.HTM

A side impact is usually the hardest collision to repair, and it looks like the frame is twisted.

I'd stay far away from this one.

I feared that's what you'd say, but looking at it again, it appears as though the whole of the chassis has been twisted, i might go and have a look anyway, but i think its not worth the hassle after all, Thanks for your reply though.

One other thing, i've been wondering, are the rear quarters removeable, and if so, do they simply unbolt from an NSX?

Hit on the right but the deck lid and left door no longer appear to align. I'd guess it's hurt pretty bad. Generally there is a reason why someone isn't already rebuilding such a car, and that's typically because they’ve done the calculations and priced it to make more by selling it as-is. In other words, it's tough for the average person to beat the pros to a genuinely "good deal" on salvaged cars.

It's amazing how much those Nissan NSXs look like the Acura/Honda NSXs!

:rolleyes:

-Jim

That car will cost you so much to repair, if you want a cheap NSX, why don't you go for this one? The car is bent I think, if it looks like this on the photo, its gonna be worse in real life.

EBAY

only 16K quid.

I like the interior of the wrecked one, and the alloys, I might go and buy those : )
(Hope its not bent...)

Asuka

I agree with everything sjs said.

Bottom line: If you don't know how much it will cost to fix right, you shouldn't be buying it!

I guess some poor sucker will buy the bent one, after it's had some dodgy fix-up. These cars are so precise and if you ever drove one you will know that when the slightest thing that's a bit off, like tyre pressures, and it doesn't feel right. A bent frame is probably going to make it drive like a dog. Honda (NSX) dealers themselves can't straighten the frame, they have to go back to Honda HQ for big jobs.

44k miles is not 'not a lot'. There are cars with less than that for sale. You can expect to find NSXs with 25-40k miles even on the oldest. There's a 1992 for sale at the moment with 9500miles on it.

I think there is only one way to buy a NSX, and that's spend the cash and get a straight honest RHD one. They are out there and you won't be sorry if you do. The purple car in the picture has more than 'light damage' and 'a few scuffs'.

My first NSX was a builder. It was fun for the money I spent, but it had its share of problems The door never closed right, and it pulled a little, but for $16k US, it was fun. It was hard to sink money into it. I remeber writing the check for the timing belt replacement, I did not want to put any money into the baskeet case NSX.

After that one got destroyed (I was rear-ended at a stoplight) I saved for another year and bought a really nice one. The difference was huge! I am very careful with the new one and I never have to explain the gaps/problems etc.

I really would advise staying away from the framers, unless you can stomach driving a POS NSX. You will never get it back to factory spec, no matter how much money you throw at it.

Back