NSX engine build or replacement

sorry for another dumb thread, but I am going to buy a 92 NSX I spoke about in a previous thread and the car has 149,000 miles. I am getting a great deal on it from a friend that has taken car of it. because the car has high miles in my opinion for something like this I am going to start prepping for an engine rebuild or replacement b/c obviously it wont last a whole lot longer (I plan for the worst). I have tried numerous jdm engine websites and none advertise jdm NSX engines. I have also looked on ebay but they dont seem to be around to often either..

1)what is a ballpark range that these engines with decent mileage go for?

2)another option is to get it and drive it for awhile and do a nice streetable build. what does something like this usually cost as far as parts go? (I have never priced out engine parts for this car and am not sure if there are many offered)

I know this is kind of a broad subject, but I am just looking at every angle before I buy this thing. I am extremely picky and thought 49,000 miles on my s2000 was high before I sold it. I know NSX's are a great car and you see them with high mileage all the time which is promising. Any help in this field is greatly appreciated..

thanks again, Zach

www.scienceofspeed.com might have some items you're looking for.

Stephen

sorry for another dumb thread, but I am going to buy a 92 NSX I spoke about in a previous thread and the car has 149,000 miles. I am getting a great deal on it from a friend that has taken car of it. because the car has high miles in my opinion for something like this I am going to start prepping for an engine rebuild or replacement b/c obviously it wont last a whole lot longer (I plan for the worst). I have tried numerous jdm engine websites and none advertise jdm NSX engines. I have also looked on ebay but they dont seem to be around to often either..

1)what is a ballpark range that these engines with decent mileage go for?

2)another option is to get it and drive it for awhile and do a nice streetable build. what does something like this usually cost as far as parts go? (I have never priced out engine parts for this car and am not sure if there are many offered)

I know this is kind of a broad subject, but I am just looking at every angle before I buy this thing. I am extremely picky and thought 49,000 miles on my s2000 was high before I sold it. I know NSX's are a great car and you see them with high mileage all the time which is promising. Any help in this field is greatly appreciated..

thanks again, Zach

thanks a bunch. I laughed at the car when I first heard the mileage, but Im going to get it for $18,500 with all new stuff wheels etc... I thought rather than spend 25 for one with 70k miles I might as well buy this one and take the opportunity and build it with the cash I would spend on a stock one, b/c thats what I was going to do eventually anyway.. Im checking that site out now.. thanks again

Wow! Thats an incredible price! clean title?, as far as the engine rebuild is concerned I would drive the car first before deciding to rebuild the engine simply because the NSX's engine is bulletproof assuming all the maintenance is up to date with it. As the saying goes "don't fix anything that isn't broken" :wink:

I'd get the proper maintenance and keep rollin till someting major happens. i've seen a few 200k and over nsx's here on prime. Remember spend a couple g's to everything checked out. There is every variation of nsx in st.louis, from NA to turbo. pretty knowledgable bunch.

Do a compression test. If the result is good, there is nothing to worry about, at least for the time being. Rebuilting a NSX engine is not cheap, but for many, do-able. Honda engines last for long time, it's the small stuff I'll be worry about, such as hoses, gaskets, seals, associated parts, etc. Those can be pricy as well.

Good luck

Vance

Its a honda engine. It still has plenty of life left in it.

There's been at least one 300,000 mile+ NSX posted here, still on original engine & tranny. If you haven't owned a NSX before I'd advise you to drive it for awhile before you seek more power - then you'll know exactly what you want, if you're finding it lacking!

If you have another car or don't drive a lot, it could be 10 years before you *need* to do major engine work. As Vance mentioned, might be better to spend some money on hoses, assuming compression is OK, and enjoy it.

Has the car got a service history? 150k miles is only no big deal if the car has been looked after.

$18,500 for a NSX.......bargain!! cheapest NSX in my country is US$37,000 :biggrin:

I wouldn't worry about a engine rebuild. You should still do a compression test though. I think MIKE5261 still holds the title for the highest mileage nsx with original engine at 355K miles

I wouldn't worry about a engine rebuild. You should still do a compression test though. I think MIKE5261 still holds the title for the highest mileage nsx with original engine at 355K miles

does a PPI include a compression test?

yea the car has a newer tranny due to being in snap ring range, a newer timing belt, new clutch/flywheel, new wheels/tires, good brakes,leak down and compression tested (220 all cylinders), freshly rebuilt cv boots, the paint and interior are great,the hoses radiator and altenator look great(garage kept it seems, clean title, 3 owners. I have a CRX swapped I drive daily with a b18 motor that is newer. I have owned every honda made including an s2000, and I figured the s2000 and nsx would run about the same so I am used to the power not that it isnt enough. that is great to know the NSX will run a long time on that motor if maintained properly.I didnt care much for the s2000 b/c at 40k miles the motor felt like a time bomb ready to go off in the high rpm range and it was already having problems with the vtec silenoid. the only reason I would build it or restore it is that I was afraid if something gave that it may risk ruining the block or head. I was planning on spending around $25,000 on one and I figured since I can get it so cheap I might as well reduild it while I have the money.. I am going to take everyones advice and get it checked out very well before I buy it and just drive it until it breaks. I have seen many nsx's with high miles which is warming inside, hah, so I feel even better with the purchase..

A new motor for the NSX runs around $15,000-$20,000 and used ones are usually around $6000-$10,000. Rebuilding the motor will depend on who's doing the job but keep in mind that not many mechanics have had NSX experience and for the best result I strongly suggest that you go to someone who has HAD NSX experience or else you may risk ruining an extremely costly engine.

Last edited:
Rebuilds can become very expensive...be very careful...I would spend the extra money and get one with less miles and a perfect maintainence history...just my 2 cents...

yea the car has a newer tranny due to being in snap ring range, a newer timing belt, new clutch/flywheel, new wheels/tires, good brakes,leak down and compression tested (220 all cylinders), freshly rebuilt cv boots, the paint and interior are great,the hoses radiator and altenator look great(garage kept it seems, clean title, 3 owners. I have a CRX swapped I drive daily with a b18 motor that is newer. I have owned every honda made including an s2000, and I figured the s2000 and nsx would run about the same so I am used to the power not that it isnt enough. that is great to know the NSX will run a long time on that motor if maintained properly.I didnt care much for the s2000 b/c at 40k miles the motor felt like a time bomb ready to go off in the high rpm range and it was already having problems with the vtec silenoid. the only reason I would build it or restore it is that I was afraid if something gave that it may risk ruining the block or head. I was planning on spending around $25,000 on one and I figured since I can get it so cheap I might as well reduild it while I have the money.. I am going to take everyones advice and get it checked out very well before I buy it and just drive it until it breaks. I have seen many nsx's with high miles which is warming inside, hah, so I feel even better with the purchase..

Now that you've added these details, I believe you can purchase with confidence. With a new timing belt/water pump, tranny, and clutch, it sounds like you won't need to spend much, if anything, on additional maintenance.

And the compression test resulted in 220 across the board? That sounds extremely high, especially for an engine with 149k miles. If you can verify the results, then I'd say you've found a spectacular bargain.

Rebuilds can become very expensive...be very careful...I would spend the extra money and get one with less miles and a perfect maintainence history...just my 2 cents...

the engine isn't the only thing that wears with miles.... actually, i'd replace a bunch of other things with that mileage before the engine.

if your friend is the owner and has taken care of it, you really have nothing to worry about. might as well put the money in the bank until something happens (why put miles on your rebuild when you can run it until it needs to be rebuilt???)

just put tape over the hundred thousands digit and pretend the 1 isn't there....you honestly will not be able to tell the difference

yea I he told me the compression was tested and he had the check the valves to se if they needed adjusted. they said the valves didnt need adjusted and the compression was the same as factory at 220 across the board. is that really the factory compression? he also just put new plugs and wires in it.. the only thing I didnt car for was the interior being ivory, but at least the dash and center console are black for an easy change.. (carpet and seats). what does a car in this condition usually go for?

what does a car in this condition usually go for?
Can't really tell without pics. 150k miles is nothing, it is like new motor, assuming exterior condition is C+~B. In my "opinion", worth about $22k low~$26k max.

Lets put it this way, if you post a link. Someone will buy your friend's car without thinking twice assuming no frame damage. I am also interested, I am not joking btw, I need another NSX as cheap as possible for my project, cash on hand. PM me the link if you decided not to buy it.

no problem.. I will. I am going to be honest though. I am 90% sure Im getting it.. I also wanted to say that the rear main seal was done with the tranny he told me today..

how good a friend is this?
honestly, for this price, i would expect something to be wrong

also, either he doesn't know what he's talking about, or something.... this car doesn't have "wires"... it has individual coil packs

lowest i'd expect to see this car for (if it is what you say it is) is ~22-23... and that's even a decent price.

again, you get what you pay for.

the compression was the same as factory at 220 across the board. is that really the factory compression?

199 psi is the factory spec. Not sure how many engines have the exact same compression "across the board" but with that many miles I would expect some variation, even if the gauge were off some. If you're happy with the car then its a good buy, but at least a couple things don't check out, so caveat emptor. The mileage alone is definitely no deal-breaker.

Looks like you've got a good deal on your hands...

I'd take it immediately to the Acura dealership and get the compression tested. If its looks to be stock parameters then buy it!!! Especially if you think the car has no major accident damage.

Jetpilot

Back