NSX, Carrera GT, F360, Vanquish at the Cali Speedway

T Bell said:
What was the occasion for the driving day? Why were you invited? It is amazing how "cool" most exotic owners are to "other" owners.

Well, I guess he just wanted to find out how his cars drive on a track, so he rented the track for the day. I guess he invited me because he knew that I'm totally nuts about his cars.

You should have seen the faces of the crew members from Stuttgart team when he offered them the key to the Carrera GT. They just couldn't believe someone actually let them drive the car on the track.

NetViper said:
Damn, the NSX is the oldest car there by a number of years, yet still looks awesome out there.

Looks like you had a great time! I am sooooo jealous!

A 15MPH difference between your NSX and a 360 is HUGE. Time for a CTSC!

The NSX definitely held its own out there.

The day could have been more complete if MB didn't delay the delivery of his blk/blk SLR. Oh well!

At this point, my first mod is the driver. I feel that the only thing slowing me down is my driving skill through road courses. I can drive the NSX as fast in the in-field as the F360. I'm totally ok getting passed on straights. :wink: So no FI for the time being. I'm resisting it.

That is an amazing event for a 'civilian' to be able to participate in! Thank you for sharing.

WOWWW.., the picture definitely puts the imaginery together with the excitement. I am glad you decided to put off the office meetings and head out to the track! Most people probably had experience of being fired.., ;) but who can say they drove CGT, 360 and Vanquish on the same day... ;) :D

EDIT: Oh, also the NSX!!!

Last edited:
There's a guy locally by me who's got an Enzo as well as, from what I hear, a slew of other exotics (other ferrari's and what else I dunno). I wish the fact that I helped spread bark at his brother's house 8 years ago in college would help me get in touch with him to suggest the same thing you did... :biggrin:
Alas, our paths have never crossed.... :frown:

Great pics. I like the NSX playing with the big dogs. Anyone notice the yellow Carrera GT in the picture has European plates in Miami???

len3.8 said:
With the Carrera GT, were those that drove it stalling it at all? I head the clutch is real sticky.
I have not heard one in real life, but you have echoed what others have said. Everyone seems to descibe the sound as out of this world or something similar.

The Carrera GT clutch is very easy to use, there are basically two ways to use it from a stop.

1. Let the clutch out with no gas, the computer automatically revs the engine up to about 1,800 rpm and the car takes off smoothly. This method works great for around town driving and allows you to take off on steep hills by keeping your right foot on the brake until the car starts to move.

2. Give the car about 2-3K rpms and let the clutch out. The engine is very responsive and it is easy to jump the rpm's way up. What happens at first to a lot of drivers is they give it a little gas and the car jumps up to 4K as they are letting the clutch out they loosen up on the throttle and the car stalls. This engine gains and looses revs so quickly it takes a while to hold a low rpm. It also doesn't have much moving mass so it isn't too forgiving if the rpm's are low.

I haven't tried any high rpm launches as I am still breaking in my car, but I feel the tires would be the limiting factor on anything above 3K.

The sound of the car is absolutely amazing, I can't wait to get through the break in period and really hear what it sounds like at red line.

Damn, Chris, you lucky $#!t. I've seen the Carrera GT in person (if I could afford one, I would make the effort to buy one), but have yet to see one in the wild...not even driving down the streets.

Wait...did you get to drive her on the track? Crazy! And here I am all excited because I got to drive my NSX to work today!

Carguy! said:
The sound of the car is absolutely amazing, I can't wait to get through the break in period and really hear what it sounds like at red line.

I've ran into CGTs on the streets twice, and the high pitch WALE (but very smooth) of the exhaust is out of this world! Have not heard of anything like it and it's absolutely the best sound ever, including Enzo, 360CS, Fcars with Tubi..etc. I'll even list my own Taitec, GM :(

So were all these cars owned by one guy? Just glancing at the replies it appears that the guy obviously can't drive them all at once so he has buddies come with? Am I correct?

dnyhof said:
So were all these cars owned by one guy? Just glancing at the replies it appears that the guy obviously can't drive them all at once so he has buddies come with? Am I correct?

Yes, a guy who loves cars and just happen to be able to afford them also.

dnyhof said:

Yes, he was driving every car in the morning. By noon, he was mainly just driving the CGT. The F360 was only being used by Jurgen doing lead and follow with him. The Vanquish was sitting most of the time.

Carguy!, you are one luck guy to be able to walk to your garage and see this piece of art sitting in it. If I knew that you can launch the car without throttle, I would have been styling last week. But wouldn't it mess up the way you'd drive a stick? Of course if I had a CGT, I'd be willing to stall all the manual cars in the world. :tongue:

CDub said:
Carguy!, you are one luck guy to be able to walk to your garage and see this piece of art sitting in it. If I knew that you can launch the car without throttle, I would have been styling last week. But wouldn't it mess up the way you'd drive a stick? Of course if I had a CGT, I'd be willing to stall all the manual cars in the world. :tongue:

I hadn't thought about that! I haven't driven any other stick shift cars since the CGT so I am not sure, I guess if I drive it enough I might have to transition back. I am willing to take the risk! My Caterham is a Quaffe sequential box so I don't normally use the clutch except at start with that one anyway.

You lucky bastard Ccup!!

I had a chance to hear CGT fired up at SEMA and the exhaust note pure heaven. I don't know about the wooden shift know though.

Carguy! said:
I hadn't thought about that! I haven't driven any other stick shift cars since the CGT so I am not sure, I guess if I drive it enough I might have to transition back. I am willing to take the risk! My Caterham is a Quaffe sequential box so I don't normally use the clutch except at start with that one anyway.

How often do you get drive the Caterham? Looks like an interesting one to drive.

Jay said:
How often do you get drive the Caterham? Looks like an interesting one to drive.

To bring this particular car over from England I had to clasify it as a race car, so I can't title in for the street. Because of this I have only had it out about three times at the track. This car was a prototype that Caterham developed but because of its classification for racing decided not to produce it. BTW this car entered two 24 hour races the first was a production under 2 liter class and it won the race by over 8 hours. The second was a production unlimited class and it also won that race beating everything from Porsche, Ferrari & Lamborghini.

I previously had an R500 and never quite got used to shifting with my left hand. I was fine on the street but when I took it to the track it took too much thought to really be smooth. The 21 GTO is much easier with the sequential box, but it is much noiser as it has straight cut gears. The good news is you never have to use the clutch except when taking off.

I thought the same thing.... but then when I walked out into a regular parking lot I was happy it still looked fricking sweet amongst the masses.

gobble said:
The NSX really looks dated sitting next to the F360. Kind of depressing.

I love the styling on the NSX, but i have to say that i 100% agree with you. I also think that the 360 is one of the most beatifull designed cars ever.

Nice post CDub, thankx.

Back