NSX, Carrera GT, F360, Vanquish at the Cali Speedway

Last Tuesday was an unforgetable one for me. I was invited to a very exclusive private event to drive all the above cars at the California Speedway. 7 of us had the track all to ourselves. 2 of us were pro racers. One is Geoff Escallete that raced the Porsche GT3 #6 in the JGTC GT300 class. The other one is a German Le Mans racer.

In the morning we started slowly maneuvering these cars through the cones. In the afternoon, we took on the oval and part of the in-field road course. A total dream came true.

Overall impression:
Carrera GT - most powerful and best handling of them all.
Ferrari 360 - most fun to drive with the F1 tranny.
Astin Mastin Vanquish - most comfortable and smooth F1 tranny, but it is more of a tourer than a sports car.

Top speed at the front straight:
Carrera GT - 175+mph in the hands of a pro
Porsche GT3 race car - 155+mph driven by a pro
Ferrari 360 - 145mph driven by me
NSX - 130mph driven by me

I'm sure the F360 and NSX could've been faster because I was exiting the last turn 10-20 miles slower and braking before turn 1 at least 5 to 8 car lengths earlier than the pros.

The Carrera GT is truly a super car with power, handling, braking, sound, and looks to complete the package. Its sound was just totally out of this world! The racing clutch was heavy, chattered a bit during idle and tricky to launch, but once you got moving, the engine sound and the smooth power made everything alright.

The F360 is the one that I felt most comfortable on the track. May be I just didn't feel like I was driving a house. It handled very similar to an NSX, just with more power. On the oval track, horse power is king.

The purpose of this post is just to share my excitement with the car enthusiasts in this forum and please don't turn this into a "which car is better" thread. After 5 pm, I was happy to be driving my NSX home even with a cracked DC header.

I'll have video clips as soon as I find a way to shrink the mpeg files into something a little more manageable. Suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_6161 s.JPG
    IMG_6161 s.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 1,043
I actually just saw a Carrera GT today at this local shop "Park Place motors" here in Bellevue, Wa. I went to check it out in person and it was truely an amazing car to look at. I wished I could have seen it driven... or gotten a ride in it.

Extensive Carbin Fiber through out. Checkout the pedals construction. It felts odd when the paddles are hinged at the bottom.

Attachments

• IMG_6173 s.JPG
    IMG_6173 s.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 972
You lucky s.o.b. :biggrin:
Who was the LeMans driver? Was it Rolland?
I sat in the Porsche GT3 at the JGTC GT live event, and talked to Geoff Escallete. He was a very nice guy, who went out of his way to answer all of our questions.

Please tell me the Nsx kicked everyone's butt around the track. :biggrin:

prova4re said:
You lucky s.o.b. :biggrin:
Who was the LeMans driver? Was it Rolland?
I sat in the Porsche GT3 at the JGTC GT live event, and talked to Geoff Escallete. He was a very nice guy, who went out of his way to answer all of our questions.

Please tell me the Nsx kicked everyone's butt around the track. :biggrin:

His first name is Jurgen. Don't know his last name though. You can see him in post #13.

Geoff is a great guy. He was just down to earth and you can talk to him like you would talk to some one at your regular NSX monthly meetings.

Well, can I not answer your last question? :redface: I just don't want to be the one that pounds the acorn into the ice (remember the "ice age" movie?). Let's just say that the NSX feels right at home there.

The shot of the day. I was being towed back at 5:10 pm when I ran out of gas in the road course area while everyone was sitting in the hot pit wondering what happened to me.

Not quite what I had in mind to end the day.

Attachments

• 02-15-05 075 s.JPG
    02-15-05 075 s.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 956
CDub said:
The shot of the day. I was being towed back at 5:10 pm when I ran out of gas in the road course area while everyone was sitting in the hot pit wondering what happened to me.

Not quite what I had in mind to end the day.

LOL!!!! I thought you wrecked it.

Cdub, Is that a Cayenne back in the corner? I like them. :biggrin: J/K

Man, I have to ditto Prova. You lucky S.O.B...
Thanks for sharing the pics.

With the Carrera GT, were those that drove it stalling it at all? I head the clutch is real sticky.
I have not heard one in real life, but you have echoed what others have said. Everyone seems to descibe the sound as out of this world or something similar.

That's a great way to spend a day.

Very cool Cdub...I had the chance to watch a owner take his Carrera GT to Road America last year and pound on it for two days. Many cars were there GT3's,360's,Z06's etc and nothing sounded sweeter or looked cooler than the GT flying around the track.

Last edited:
I have seen the same local silver one that Steve posted about @ RA, but last week topped it off!!! I was in South Beach again (yeah I know....4th time since x-mas....must be nice......beats the snow!!!!) I saw 3 silver Carrera GT's, and then saw 3 cars within the same block on Ocean Dr. A yellow! (yes I said yellow!!!) Carrera GT, then a Murci w/aftermarket wheels, and then an Enzo all parked @ the curb!!!! Hotel Victor was having some special grand opening, and I know P Diddy was having a party there on Friday, but I saw these cars Wed???? Pretty sweet.

What was the occasion for the driving day? Why were you invited? It is amazing how "cool" most exotic owners are to "other" owners. I used to be afraid to ask to sit in say a Viper or 911 at the track. Now I commonly get rides in everything. Even a F40!! I now need to get the balls to ask for a spin around the service roads with me in the drivers seat!

Great pics.

Attachments

• Feb19190.JPG
    Feb19190.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 864
  • Feb19191.JPG
    Feb19191.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 876
  • Feb19192.JPG
    Feb19192.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 864
  • Feb19194.JPG
    Feb19194.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 853
  • Feb19195.JPG
    Feb19195.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 854
Damn, the NSX is the oldest car there by a number of years, yet still looks awesome out there.

Looks like you had a great time! I am sooooo jealous!

A 15MPH difference between your NSX and a 360 is HUGE. Time for a CTSC!

T Bell said:
...I was in South Beach again (yeah I know....4th time since x-mas....must be nice......beats the snow!!!!) I saw 3 silver Carrera GT's, and then saw 3 cars within the same block on Ocean Dr. A yellow! (yes I said yellow!!!) Carrera GT, then a Murci w/aftermarket wheels, and then an Enzo all parked @ the curb!!!!...

It's amazing what people drive down here, and people drive exotics like they are Camry's comparred to other areas in the US. Everyday one my 2.7 mile drive to work I see no less than two 360's, a few RR's, a few Bentley's, and now I see the same Carrera GT. It's a rough life down here. :biggrin:

len3.8 said:
Cdub, Is that a Cayenne back in the corner? I like them. :biggrin: J/K ...

With the Carrera GT, were those that drove it stalling it at all? I head the clutch is real sticky.
I have not heard one in real life, but you have echoed what others have said. Everyone seems to descibe the sound as out of this world or something similar.

That's a great way to spend a day.

Yes, it is a Turbo Cayenne.

Yes, first timers were stalling it multiple times. If and when I have the video, you'll see how someone trying to launch the car from stand still. But once you are moving, it is nirvana, man.

Can someone help me shrink 3 files, 23MB (F360), 33MB (NSX) and 90MB (CarreraGT) and a place to post them?

Back