NSX and bad backs

Anybody out there with NSX and back problems such as herniated discs? I'm just wondering if getting into a low car such as the NSX and its seating have made it worse or started problems?

If you have a bad back I would strongly advise against sitting in the NSX.

I had my back whipped around when I was involved in a roll over in an SUV. I believe the disc problem sounds much more severe. I recalled when I sat in the NSX it made the back worst.

I would advise sticking with cars that are more upright such as your M3 or something. Or maybe Porsche or something.

I'm not having problems like the ones you mentioned. I did however crush my 9th vertebrae in a car accident a couple of years ago. Sometimes, at the and of the day in the office, my back sometimes hurts a little.
At the same time, I can drive the NSX with OEM seats for hours and never have a problem with it. Before the accident, I had no problem driving 600 miles in one day. Haven't done that since but I still suspect it would not be a problem for me.
The OEM seats seem to be just perfect for me. Not too soft and not too hard either. And I am running the TEIN-RA suspension with is much stiffer than stock.
However, what works for me doesn't have to work for you. Seat and seat comfort a very personal thing.

Hi

I do not have a backproblem, but when I had my appendix removed I preferred driving the NSX.

The reason was that when I was exiting the NSX I did not have to use as much "stomach muscle power" to lift my feet out of the car and down to the ground because the NSX was as low as it is.

I have had some minor back problems in the past, and getting out and in of any vehichle have been hard. But when inside I have always preferred the NSX.

Regards

I broke my back in the accident pictured below about 2 years ago... I misjudged a jump and it sent me about 30ft in the air. I had a compression fracture in my lower back, a compression fracture in my thoracic vertebrae, and a herniated disc. I was in rehab for a year, and still see a chiropractor on a weekly basis. I can function normally on a day-to-day basis now, but no long walks, and if I'm driving long distance I have to get out and walk around about every 2 hours. Other than that, I have no problems with my back in regards to the NSX. I really don't even notice my back when getting in/out...

Pismo041.jpg

Pismo047.jpg

On occasion when my back goes "out", I have a problem getting in or out of the car, once however seated, I'm perfectly comfortable. I do avoid driving it then because it just hurts too much. Then, I'm much better off driving my SUV as I don't have any problems getting in or out, don't have to bend, or push up to exit. As others have stated, the OEM seats are amongst the most comfortable out there once you're in them.

Damn Bob, looks like you have a lot of fun out there in Cali. Next time I am out there we will have to get together and break some stuff, hopefully not bones.

I have a lower back pain once in awhile from those old days working on the ships, but I never had any back pain when driving my nsx, either the stock seats are so well design or my excitement took over:biggrin: . A few times my wife has slept in the nsx and mentioned that it was comfortable enough for a 30 min drive. Let's see if she will fall as sleep again after my bilstein shocks arrive this weekend:biggrin: :biggrin: . Actually I hope it won't be too bouncing either:rolleyes:.

I have a bad back as well. About two years ago i was a A.S.E certified mechanic and injured my back. i slipped L5 and caused nerve damage :frown: im now a proud owner of a 94 and don't have any problems with my back with the car. To be honest i think it depends what sort of back injury you have. Mine is my lower, so for me it is easier for me to sit then stand, for others it hurts to sit. Unfortunately, to each his own.

My 2cents :smile:

bill

Thanks for all your honest and non-biased responses. I had surgery for a herniated disc in 2001 which recurred in 2005, but no surgery was needed at that time. I'm usually 100% with the exception that I can't lift any heavy objects otherwise I get some foot numbness. I play most sports OK but am generally cautious.

The M3 has been amazingly fine for the back. Parents have a VR4, which may somewhat simulate the NSX. I'll check it out, but remember it wasn't so great when I was driving it around the time back when I had my surgery. In any case, if I do grab one I can test it out and if it doesn't work out, swallow the transactions costs and sell it shortly.

BTW, that dune buggy action looks crazy!

I have L3-4-5-S1 fused, minus 3 discs, with 3 Ti shims, 4 rods and 8 screws. I get in and out fine and no issues with driving. The only problem is trying to bend to grab the door handle if the door is wide open.

You may find that turning with the backs of your legs against the door sill and then sit in the seat sideways helps. You can then rotate your body into the car. I find it puts less strain on my lower back.

Plan to be on the track at Mid-Ohio April 13-15!

I have L3-4-5-S1 fused, minus 3 discs, with 3 Ti shims, 4 rods and 8 screws. I get in and out fine and no issues with driving. The only problem is trying to bend to grab the door handle if the door is wide open.

You may find that turning with the backs of your legs against the door sill and then sit in the seat sideways helps. You can then rotate your body into the car. I find it puts less strain on my lower back.

Plan to be on the track at Mid-Ohio April 13-15!

good God Alan. i hope things get better for your over time! i know my backpain kinda just leveled off....but it has been 2 years...you just get used to the pain and know what you can and cant do. as for you i hope you regain some of your mobility back and have fun with your Acura :)

bill

I think just being aware of the physical limitations we have is 75% of the solution. When I get in and out of our NSX I just get in and out carefully without trying to jump in and out like it's the beginning of a race. Consequently, no problems. Happy driving.

I guess i'm not the only one. I recently start to drive the NSX more and I hurt my back again. I also have Recaro SPG seats, which makes it really hard to get in and out. I guess it's about time I get some seat that is more street friendly. :frown:

i don't have any problems whe ni'm getting in/out.... but washing the front end of the car hurts my back..... the car is really low heh

My back is sometimes aching when I do long spirited drives with the NSX. I guess this has to do with the heavy steering wheel due to aftermarket wheels. I now drive 16/17 stock and the ache is gone.

My back has been bad all my life, and three years ago I had surgery for it. The NSX is one of the few places I can sit comfortably indefinitely. I've driven upwards to 800 miles in a day and arrived in perfect comfort. Any other car would put me in traction.

I have had back problems for many years, but this past eight months have been a nightmare. I was diagnosed with two herniated discs (L4/L5 and L5/S1). I also had two pinched nerves and leg strength loss and complete loss of my reflexes in my left leg. That being said, I didn't have much of a problem getting into my NSX (with stock seats). Once in, I did have some left leg pain, but it was tolerable. Actually, it was better in my NSX than in my daily driver (Cadillac STS) or my wife's car. I had surgery two months ago (micro discectomy) and things are much better.:smile: Now, the only thing is that I don't have my NSX. I decided to do a power makeover and I should be getting my car back within the week. I am getting a Lovefab turbo. :biggrin: I figure it is a blessing I have been without my car for two months while I have recuperated. I am raring to go!

I went to two different chiropractors prior to surgery. Both didn't help, in fact, they made my condition worse. I think they can help people with certain conditions, but they can't help everyone. Sometimes, sugery is the only option.

Back