NSX A vs. Carrera 2/4

hi everybody,

I have a question for yall! What would you do? I have the option of getting a silver '93 NSX with 87000km on it. 2 owners. Pretty good condition. However it is an automatic and I would rather have a manual. The problem is that in Europe NSX are really hard to get, they are usually red, abused and "extremely crazy" priced. I could also get a '92 Porsche Carrera 964 2. Black and manual. Don't get me wrong, both cars are fun. I would just like to hear what the "nsx-community" thinks. What would you get? And no I cant wait for an nsx with manual to appear. I have to make a decission now.

Thanks

greetings from Switzerland

Mike

'99 Accord V6 Coupe
'98 CRX Motegi

Well, if you ask me I wouldn't buy a 13 yr old P-car. That said, an automatic wouldn't my choice either but is better in this decision. 93 NSX > 92 Carrera

I personally wouldn't even consider that Porsche - I just think that model is extremely ugly. In your case if you don't have a preference on which car looks better then I'd still go with the NSX :bigsmile:. While the Porsche would be arguably faster, the reliability of the NSX will be unarguably better. :biggrin:

Check UK car sites...

There are a few LHD 5spd, 6spd NSX's in the UK, check the NSX Club of Britain site: www.NSXCB.co.uk

Place a "Want To Buy" listing, if you wish. It's a great community, always willing to help. Often owners are considering selling, but don't list their cars.

Also check the UK version of the Auto-trader. Often many of the Honda dealerships have NSX's from owners on consignment, up for sale.

Don't settle of an automatic NSX if you really have a preference for a manual. It won't live upto your expectations, needs, and satisfaction. The automatic is a superb handling car, great looks, reliability, and more than adequate performance for many. The manual provides more driver interaction, connection to the car, and a slight edge in certain performance parameters.

If the aforementioned Porsche is a model that you particularly like alot, then don't hesitate to pursue that as well. That's the essence of cars, everyone has different tastes & preferences!

Viel gluck!

Yeah, I woulnt touch an automatic if that is not your choice. Its not like your choosing a color that is not your top pick; an automatic and 5sp or 6sp are meaningfully different driving experiences.

I would get the Porsche...

Manual and Auto makes a HUGE difference in driving feel... and it sounds like the NSX is too pricy in your region without offering too many choices... Early 90's porsches are beautiful cars and are great fun to drive.... They also have a much richer heritage... NSX is like an upgraded Integra...

shutyerpiehole

jonomo said:
... NSX is like an upgraded Integra...

Grrr...!?!
slap.gif

jonomo said:
I would get the Porsche

NSX is like an upgraded Integra...

It's like saying... Porsche is a super slick, ultra fast VW Bug....

Well, I do like the Porsche, but I own a NSX; in your case, a further detail invistigation into the service history of both cars will be wise, and have a tech look at both of them. In the US. NSX is cheaper to service than a Porsche, but same thing cannot be said in Europe... Manual or not, if you like the way it drives, why not?

jonomo said:
.... They also have a much richer heritage... NSX is like an upgraded Integra...

so if the nsx is an upgraded integra, it would be fair to say that a Porsche is an upgraded vw bug, a ferrari and upgraded fiat, and lamborghini and updated farm tractor. As a matter fact, Lambo has no racing heritage, yet i'm pretty sure you wouldn't refrain from taking a gallardo over a 964 with the same price. With the unintelligent comment you made, you probably don't own an nsx, nor have even driven one. Keep stupid comments like this to yourself.

Thanks for your input. Now I am waiting for the details of the last services. I feel really positive about the dealership which put it up for sale. Although I like the manual better, I am not desperate for it. As it is, the car would cost me less than a '00 S2000 and still less than the before mentioned 964.
I have tried to figure out if there are any differences in the 3.0l engines between manual and automatic. I only found out that the the redline on an automatic is 7500 and not 8000. Are there mechanical differences? And is the power measured on the wheels, or does the engine itself make less horsepower than on the manual. Also the automatic seems awfully quick (for what it is) Motor trend measured 5.8 from 0-60 mph. Does anyone know the 0-200km/h times of both manual and automatic?

Thanks, Mike

Don't get me wrong.. I think the NSX is a great car.. looks good, fun to drive, reliable, and easy to maintain.. I can clearly see why it draws such passion from people who like to drive it....

However, the NSX is just the next progression in a line of cars... and the car right below it is the Integra and RSX... there's no inbetween car right??? there's no $50k car thats inbetween the Integra and NSX... just a bunch of luxury sedans... so in a way its just the next progression of the Acura line... Integra.. a bunch of sedans.. then the NSX... but the Integra and NSX were the only 2 sports cars in their line up back then...

Also, Porsche as a sports car manufacturer has been around WAY longer than Honda.. thats just fact... hence.. it has a richer heritage... not saying one car is better than another... some people like the way the porsche looks, and others prefer the NSX.. thats all fine and handy...

As for race heritage.. Honda has a very successful history in racing F-1 and such... and i'm sure much of that technology is transfered to their cars... however, porsche, ferrari, and even corvette has a much richer road racing history... when's the last time you saw NSX in GT3? I don't think i ever have... you usually see porsche, corvette, or ferrari....

NSX = Mid engine Integra RR... hehe J/k ya'll....

jonomo said:
However, the NSX is just the next progression in a line of cars... and the car right below it is the Integra and RSX... there's no inbetween car right??? there's no $50k car thats inbetween the Integra and NSX...

The S2000 is .......

jonomo said:
when's the last time you saw NSX in GT3? I don't think i ever have... you usually see porsche, corvette, or ferrari....

What the hell are you talking about?

dont settle for the automatic if you want the manaul. You'll be kicking yourself from the first day to the last day of ownership :D

Oooh i love the S2000 :smile: going to put one in my garage soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonomo
when's the last time you saw NSX in GT3? I don't think i ever have... you usually see porsche, corvette, or ferrari....

What the hell are you talking about?

I believed he's talking about the actual racing class used in Lemans or other FIA racing class.. but does it called GT2??

but to answer question of Honda Racing Heritage, it's probably only have little success in Europe, but I don't see there's any absentee in any continents of Racings. Especially in Japan, Honda and Nissan still remain the company which actively engage in racing, yet bringing the experience and to the feel of their cars.... (ok, I'm still kind of missing the double wish bone design on ALL HONDAs)

Since you are in England, how hard could you import a JDM nsx?? and since you didn't really mention the price, but you said other nsx are all being rediculously priced... Would you be able to swap transmission and still having better deal than buying an unknown history manual nsx?? Procar is in Germany, or even SOS could ship you the transmission, couldn't they?

jonomo said:

Manual and Auto makes a HUGE difference in driving feel... and it sounds like the NSX is too pricy in your region without offering too many choices... Early 90's porsches are beautiful cars and are great fun to drive.... They also have a much richer heritage... NSX is like an upgraded Integra...

haha if by upgraded integra you mean
hand built aluminum vehicle with titanium rods and aluminum suspension tuned by aryton senna.... then i guess upgraded seems like an operative term
i smell someone trolling, flame on!!!!

i guess the Mclaren is also just an upgraded benz.....
or the Lamborgini Gallardo is just an upgraded VW 1.8T......

history... when's the last time you saw NSX in GT3? I don't think i ever have... you usually see porsche, corvette, or ferrari....

haha surely you jest... it must be amateur hour for Gran Tourismo player, how can you miss the 3 or so S class nsx's on the selection screen, "what you talking bout willis....."

damn... someone just got 'served'.....

alas my irony was lost in translation....

mikkicus said:
hi everybody,

I have a question for yall! What would you do? I have the option of getting a silver '93 NSX with 87000km on it. 2 owners. Pretty good condition. However it is an automatic and I would rather have a manual. The problem is that in Europe NSX are really hard to get, they are usually red, abused and "extremely crazy" priced. I could also get a '92 Porsche Carrera 964 2. Black and manual. Don't get me wrong, both cars are fun. I would just like to hear what the "nsx-community" thinks. What would you get? And no I cant wait for an nsx with manual to appear. I have to make a decission now.

Thanks

greetings from Switzerland

Mike

'99 Accord V6 Coupe
'98 CRX Motegi

Easy answer. Fly to the UK to buy mine and you can have an ear to ear grin driving it all the way back to Switz! :biggrin:

jonomo said:
From another thread:
so now.. i wanna buy a nice sports car to drive.. but I don't wanna go ape crazy and spend a ton of money on a car that i'm gonna worry about all the time.. and I wanna spend around 30K...

A few options come to mind...
1. Boxster
2. Audi TT
3. S2000
4. NSX...
5. SLK

From this thread:
Don't get me wrong.. I think the NSX is a great car.. looks good, fun to drive, reliable, and easy to maintain.. I can clearly see why it draws such passion from people who like to drive it....

jonomo = wanna be sports car owner...he he..not kidding ya'll

The only thing you'd see of my NSX, is the taillights as it passes you! Have fun choking on the exhaust fumes! :tongue: Now why don't you go pick up the Auto Week next to your toilet and go back to dreaming about cars you can't afford! Leave the sports car advice to people who actually own them!!! Bye bye faker!!!! :tongue:

fakers.gif

Back