• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX 2.0 loses its top, becomes a targa top in photoshop

Looks like people have already photoshopped it as a Targa top. What do you think?

Years down the road, if a targa top became an available option, would you opt for it? And down the road, what if it only came as a Targa? Would that influence your decision to purchase? One of the reasons I bought my 92 NSX and not a later year NSX was because I wanted a hard top.

Forgive me if this has been posted already. I looked through the last 15 or 20 new NSX 2.0 threads and didn't see this mentioned.

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/01/acura-nsx-loses-top-becomes-targa-in.html

Acura%2BNSX%2BTarga2.jpg

Compared to:
Honda-NSX-Targa.jpg

Attachments

• Honda-NSX-Targa.jpg
    Honda-NSX-Targa.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 614
Looks great.

I'd have to say the main reason I bought a later NSX instead of an earlier one the first time around was because of the lift roof. it's a whole different experience without the roof. the engine noise is amplified, the wind is all around you, the stars right over your head, simply magic...

p.s. and these days cars (i.e. McLaren MP4, 458, etc.) have the same structural rigidity with or without the roof.

If that becomes a reality it is a deal maker for me. In all of my cars I either love to have a sunroof or targa top. I'm not a big fan of "convertibles".

NSX 2.0 with a Targa top gets a HUGE thumbs up from me!!

If that becomes a reality it is a deal maker for me. In all of my cars I either love to have a sunroof or targa top. I'm not a big fan of "convertibles".

nor I, but I do love a targa top. :smile:

Simply untrue. The hardtop coupes, any hardtop coupes, always have better structural rigidity than the open roof counterparts. Steve

not in the case of the latest crop of modern supercars. but specifically in the case of the MP4, check your facts again Steve. the hardtop convertible has "precisely 0 percent loss of structural rigidity"...

not in the case of the latest crop of modern supercars. but specifically in the case of the MP4, check your facts again Steve. the hardtop convertible has "precisely 0 percent loss of structural rigidity"...

It is a common sense in physics/mechanical engineering that there is NO way that you would not lose any torsional rigidity when you go from a hardtop to an open top counterpart. That is not even debatable. One might argue that the MP4 spider is so beefed up that the chassis remain very rigid but it is IMPOSSIBLE anyone can claim that there is "precisely 0 percent loss of structural rigidity" by any means. Your so called "facts" is nothing but a sales pitch to mislead gullible people. I am sure the MP4 spider is stiff as hell compare to other open tops but simple physics disproves that claim. Well, you just have to believe what you choose. I do like the MP4 spider though.
Steve

I have massive amounts of common and uncommon sense, so you can leave that right out of the equation mate. if McLaren or any other Supercar/Formula 1 car maker says they can build their car with zero loss of structural rigidity, with or without a roof, i'll just have to take their word on it. because while I do have a very good understanding of motor vehicle engineering and manufacturing, I don't know as much as McLaren does. nor am I a conspiracy theorist...

The MP4-12C/650S Spider models are just as stiff as their Coupe counterparts due to the proprietary Mono-Cell CF tub used in both. There is no added stiffening/torsional support added to Spider variants. And any nominal weight-difference between the Spider and Coupe is due to the former's mechanical-roof mechanism.

The McLaren P13 platform was a game-changer... much like the NS-X project twenty-five years ago! :D

I like the chop shop pics.....

This is indeed a nice looking chop but if you look closely, how it is shown is currently not possible.

Look at the original (middle) and reference the window/door break panel line just above the door handle.

Follow that line all the way up to the roof. It is at this juncture that NSX 2.0's signature flying buttress begins to pull away from the body (green circle).

In X-tomi's rendering, while it provides a great idea of what the targa could look like from the side, in real life the buttresses can't get shortened that far back (red circle) to accommodate the auto top-down mechanism and no longer have a solid mating point back on to the frame (green circle). There's nothing but air there which is a problem, that and the fact that the car doesn't tend to work that well without a steering wheel either :D). How far back he cut to really open it up proportionally may not be realistic unless Honda changes the buttress angles on a Targa.

I suspect x-tomi realized this when rendering it if he's pretty familiar with the 3D aspects of that area but that's the beauty of 2-D design...make it look cool and let Honda figure it out ;)

targa_issue.png

All u really have to do is look to the avengers to get an idea... lol jk b4 anyone yells at me....

But yes they are correct about not losing rigidity in open air variants bc of the tub. Yes in, actual theory, it wont be as stiff, but we're talking very small percentages. They dont use much on roof panels at all to keep the CG low, so losing these already light roof panels wont add up to much loss in rigidity

This is indeed a nice looking chop but if you look closely, how it is shown is currently not possible.

Look at the original (middle) and reference the window/door break panel line just above the door handle.

Follow that line all the way up to the roof. It is at this juncture that NSX 2.0's signature flying buttress begins to pull away from the body (green circle).

In X-tomi's rendering, while it provides a great idea of what the targa could look like from the side, in real life the buttresses can't get shortened that far back (red circle) to accommodate the auto top-down mechanism and no longer have a solid mating point back on to the frame (green circle). There's nothing but air there which is a problem, that and the fact that the car doesn't tend to work that well without a steering wheel either :D). How far back he cut to really open it up proportionally may not be realistic unless Honda changes the buttress angles on a Targa.

I suspect x-tomi realized this when rendering it if he's pretty familiar with the 3D aspects of that area but that's the beauty of 2-D design...make it look cool and let Honda figure it out ;)

targa_issue.png

I actually would like it BETTER if the targa was cut out at the GREEN circle more.... I liked how the orignal was more of a large, complete sun roof...rather than a spyder

It was neat looking. much like the Supra was with the sport roof

I strongly agree with both of you. I hate convertibles, but the Targa retains the slicktop coupe look.

I think Honda designed the car like the 12C this time and it will probably have minimal structural rigidity loss. There were talks about convertible as soon as the 2012 concept debuted.

Back