North Hollywood

ANyone live in Studio City, North Hollywood, Van Nuys, Burbank, and Surrounding areas?

I am planning to move in this area for work.

Any insights about the region, and maybe advice about buying here?

Thanks in Advance!

I am out in those areas all the time scouting restaurant locations in Studio City and Sherman Oaks. The only decent places in your list are Studio City and parts Burbank. North Hollywood is next to Studio City but it's a crappy place in comparison. North Hollywood has an up and coming area of development called NoHo Arts district but the neighborhood is sketchy IMO. Studio City is a pricey place to live in comparison even though it's not much further away.

You might want to check out Sherman Oaks south of the 101 freeway. Zillow.com is a good place to get approximate prices of housing.

I am out in those areas all the time scouting restaurant locations in Studio City and Sherman Oaks. The only decent places in your list are Studio City and parts Burbank. North Hollywood is next to Studio City but it's a crappy place in comparison. North Hollywood has an up and coming area of development called NoHo Arts district but the neighborhood is sketchy IMO. Studio City is a pricey place to live in comparison even though it's not much further away.

You might want to check out Sherman Oaks south of the 101 freeway. Zillow.com is a good place to get approximate prices of housing.

Is this Jamie Kennedy? Have I been X'd!? :biggrin:

Great feedback MRap. After a lot of research and coincidence of me working in Studio City I will be buying my home there. This NoHo I have been seeing a lot of. I might check it out today, when you say sketchy its propably downtown sketch.

Keep the 411 coming, advice and 411 appreciated.

Is this Jamie Kennedy? Have I been X'd!? :biggrin:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mKsRhEFX8hA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mKsRhEFX8hA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Given my tolerance and comfort level with neighborhoods and safety, if I had to work in Studio City I would live there or in Sherman Oaks or Universal City. Try to stay south of the 101 freeway.

When I say North Hollywood is sketchy, remember that crazy shootout at the bank years ago? That was in North Hollywood. But I also had a $6000 stereo system ripped out of my car there. There aren't any nice places there I can think of.

Other cities to consider are Encino and Woodland Hills. Good luck!

It's further west in the valley a bit, but parts of Woodland Hills and West Hills are pretty nice. House prices in West Hills seem to be more reasonable than most of LA.

I've lived in many places in So Cal, but I haven't lived in the valley for long - I think it gets real hot in the summer.

-Josh

There are many perfectly nice (some very nice) neighborhoods within 15-20 minutes of Studio City. NoHo is (as has been said) the up & coming "trendy" place, but it's still scummy in places too.

Then there are the "bedroom communities" about half an hour away (counting traffic). They can be pretty Stepford, or pretty decent, depending.

Van Nuys, stay away if you want to live in a safe place. It is also one of the hottest places in the valley during the summer. There is a great Acura dealership there but you're better off living in Sherman Oaks. South of Burbank Blvd is Sherman Oaks but I still think you'll want to live south of the 101. Van Nuys is probably the most affordable option near the 405.

ANyone live in Studio City, North Hollywood, Van Nuys, Burbank, and Surrounding areas?

I am planning to move in this area for work.

Any insights about the region, and maybe advice about buying here?

Thanks in Advance!

Well, if I were you i'd expand your radius by a few more miles and consider the upper hills of Bel Air, or perhaps West Hollywood or Beverly Hills...... None of these cities are "that far" from the ones you mentioned, if anything they are a 5 minute (fun fun fun fun, in your NSX of course, :biggrin: ) drive up Beverly Glen, Coldwater Canyon, Benedict Canyon, etc....... totally worth it in my opinion. There are plenty of options up on Mulholland Dr. and from there you have access to almost all of west LA. Also the RE prices in these nicer areas aren't "that much" more than the ones in the areas you mentioned. You can score a 2 bed 2 bath condo in Bel Air for around $600k, or even a small home for $700-$900k, why buy elsewhere and have to worry about crime, shady neighbors, your own safety......... :confused: For me it's simply not worth the $200-$300 dollar a month savings. I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooooo comfortable in the area I live in that more often than not I leave my windows down, ipod/other misc. junk in the car, alarm disarmed, apartment doors unlocked all the time, etc...... Worth paying more for in my opinion, just like it was worth paying more for the NSX over other similar cars like a Vette.......

Van Nuys is one of those places that they describe as having "pockets of nice homes", meaning that your nice home might be within a couple blocks of a place you wouldn't want to walk through at night. No thanks.

Studio City, Glendale, Encino, Sherman Oaks, Valley Village, West Hills, parts of Burbank; all are either very nice, and/or, have very nice areas, both for homes and for conveniences. Some of them are problematic because of traffic, but everything is a compromise.

Yup, check this link out. I was going to buy, a home, but decided to wait until the market drops a little more. But for those who absolutely MUST buy in the near future, why pay $400k-$500k (condo) or $800k+ (a home) for something in the Valley when you can buy in Bel Air.

http://realtor.com/FindHome/HomeLis...&vtsort=&sorttype=&typ=1&typ=2&typ=4&x=57&y=7

The first condo for $550k is on Roscomare Rd. To get into this part of the neighborhood you take the Bellagio West Gate on Sunset, or the Mullholland/Roscomare gate. Condo's in the "gates" of Bel Air are very rare. There's only one little section on Roscomare Rd. where they exist (no more than 3-4 small complexes. After that you are surrounded by, well, lets not try to be modest, multimillion dollar mansions and whatnot. It surprises me that people will pay almost the same price to live in the valley when they can pay a tad bit more and live in one of the BEST neighborhoods in the United States. Don't argue with me on this one. Very nice in Sherman Oaks or Studio City is not the same....... No way. By the way I lived right down the street (less than 45 seconds) from that $550k condo in a $3.5 mil mansion. It's the neighborhood that makes it a great place to live. Also I was going to rent a condo in that same complex. They are very nice even though the building looks a little older, views of the hills, some have ocean views...... Someone who lives there owns a black NSX as well.

Great Feedback, Keep it coming fellas.

This is becoming a very exciting time for me, moving on the bigger and better things. I swear once I have my place and a NSX, my life will come full circle.

Thanks guys, keep the 411 coming.

Great Feedback, Keep it coming fellas.

This is becoming a very exciting time for me, moving on the bigger and better things. I swear once I have my place and a NSX, my life will come full circle.

Thanks guys, keep the 411 coming.

Nimble, were you looking to buy or rent? If you're going to be working in Studio City then West Hollywood or Beverly Hills isn't far. Just a drive over the hill as I mentioned earlier. You can rent a nice 1 bedroom in either of those 2 cities for under $1500 a month no problem, and even closer to $1100-$1300 if you look for a good deal, they're always out there.

Simo

Nimble, were you looking to buy or rent? If you're going to be working in Studio City then West Hollywood or Beverly Hills isn't far. Just a drive over the hill as I mentioned earlier. You can rent a nice 1 bedroom in either of those 2 cities for under $1500 a month no problem, and even closer to $1100-$1300 if you look for a good deal, they're always out there.

Simo

HEy Simo,

I looking to buy. I am not a big fan of leasing or renting. I am very open to the areas around WeHo. So let me know if you hear or see anything helpful to me.

Thanks Again Man, Great Help from a Great Forum.

West Hollywood can be pricey to buy into, but it's pretty nice.

Not in any way intended as any sort of criticism of the people there, but it is also very, very Gay. Not that straight people or families would feel unwelcome.

It is also about a fifteen to thirty minute drive to & from Studio city, depending on the time of day. OTOH, it has some of the best restaurants and stores in LA along Sunset Boulevard.

West Hollywood can be pricey to buy into, but it's pretty nice.

Not in any way intended as any sort of criticism of the people there, but it is also very, very Gay. Not that straight people or families would feel unwelcome.

It is also about a fifteen to thirty minute drive to & from Studio city, depending on the time of day. OTOH, it has some of the best restaurants and stores in LA along Sunset Boulevard.

As long as there are fine ladies and homes appreciating im gravy!

As long as there are fine ladies and homes appreciating im gravy!

I was just looking at a property in Sherman Oaks today on Ventura Blvd at La Reina. This car swung out from a parking meter and nearly hit me, I almost got pissed until I got a look at the driver. Unbelievable blonde driving a Benz apologizing with her hands... I forgave immediately...

I was just looking at a property in Sherman Oaks today on Ventura Blvd at La Reina. This car swung out from a parking meter and nearly hit me, I almost got pissed until I got a look at the driver. Unbelievable blonde driving a Benz apologizing with her hands... I forgave immediately...

Forgive but don't forget.:tongue:

I worked in Studio City for three years. Is is a nice place along with Sherman Oaks.

Back