Noise...is it tires or what?

I just got a 92 R/B. I drove 3 total before i finally got this one. On all of the cars i drove, i noticed what sounded like the tires "singing" and was louder during breaking. Does anyone view this as normal for the NXS? The noise is most noticable at about 40 to 0 mph during breaking.

I assumed that all 3 cars i drove made this noise, that it was normal. If its not the tires, could it be the break pads and or rotors? Oh yeah, the tires are Yokos with stock wheels.

10/4 UPDATE. Had the car checked at the Acura Dealer. The excessive noise i was hearing was "cupped" front tires. My advice to NSX seekers is.... if you think there is alot of excessive noise, just run your hands over the tread surface, if you feel raised edges in the tread pattern.... then it is cupped tires and are no good and need to be replaced

Soooo... are they bad?, the answer is yes, not only LOUD, but stability loss. Thats what happens when you can't rotate your tires.

PS - Mechanic said the clutch was in very good condition seeing that it had 94k miles on it.

[This message has been edited by bugsbunny (edited 03 October 2002).]

It depends on "how much" road noise you are experiencing..The NSX will have more road/tire noise than a normal passenger car, especially as the Yoko's get closer and closer to wearing out. A poor alignment can definitely cause an increase in road noise...Have you noticed any unusual tire wear?. As far as the brakes causing this noise..not likely, unless you only hear it under braking...If you want to listen to my '91, let me know...You're close by.

Did you check the 'brakepad wear indicators'?

The ones from on the front are more noticeble then the ones at the rear.

Mich

Originally posted by DutchBlackNsx:
Did you check the 'brakepad wear indicators'?

Click here if you're not sure how to check brake pad wear.

BTW, welcome to the forums and congratulations on your recent purchase. It's always nice to have another celebrity in our midst.
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 02 October 2002).]

Originally posted by DaveJP:
It depends on "how much" road noise you are experiencing..The NSX will have more road/tire noise than a normal passenger car, especially as the Yoko's get closer and

I think a look at another owner will help, also seeing that much more information face to face can be exchanged. Lets make sone time to get together. The noise is very notice on breaking, tires are in very good shape. Call me when you have a chance to meet and do a once over. I also think i want to get the SOS/HID. thanks Michael 942-3490

Also: The rotors are highly polished and prob should be resurfaced.

[This message has been edited by bugsbunny (edited 02 October 2002).]

Back