• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

No power with key in on position. Car died at speed-everything turned off...ideas?

Today after a 60 minute highway drive (the car was running perfect) upon exiting NJTP the car stalled from idle at a red light a few minutes later. It started up without a problem and I drove it a few more minutes and parked it.<O:p></O:p>
An hour later, the car would not start. It would turn over as usual and just stall again. It finally started and the EPS light stayed on and the car run a little ruff. It didn’t seem like it would idle so I kept the revs up and I made a bee line for home and when I was almost there, I lost all power. The engine died, no dash lights, no speedo, no tach etc. Attached is a picture where I coasted to a stop and from where I towed it home.<O:p></O:p>
When I turn the key on, nothing in the dash lights up. When I turn the key further to start the car (with the clutch petal not pushed in) all the power accessories worked and the dash lights up.<O:p></O:p>
When I try to start the car with the clutch petal pushed in, again all the accessories work, the dash lights up, the starter spins and the car sounds as if it will start!<O:p></O:p>
However, when I release the key and it go back to the on position the car dies and all the accessories and dash lights go out.<O:p></O:p>
I checked all the fuses.<O:p></O:p>
Do you think that these problems are EPS unit related? Any other ideas?<O:p></O:p>
Kindest regards, and thx!<O:p></O:p>

Attachments

• RNSXT 95.jpg
    RNSXT 95.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 492
ignition switch 100%

- - - Updated - - -

Ign switch or Main relay both item are cheap most of us have them as spares in the trunk just incase you should buy 2 of each keep one set in trunk and replace them

Last edited:
Thank you for your speedy response and expertise. I have the ’95 service manual and have locate the ignition switch test/replacement section. Unfortunately, I have been unable to locate the “main relay”. I see the fuses for the PGM-FI main relay etc but not the specific relay. Can you point me in the right direction?<o:p></o:p>
Many thx!<o:p></o:p>
Rich<o:p></o:p>

I would agree with the ignition switch. It's really the electrical portion of the ignition switch behind the mechanical switch itself. Both my previous NSX's had this problem and I replaced them both myself. A trick is if you were to hold the key half way between the "ON" and "START" position without starting the car you will have power. Once you let the key fall back to the "ON" position the power will be lost. It's an easy job just a little cramped space to work with.

If it were the Main Relay you would be able to crank the car and it wouldn't start. You would also have power in the "ON" position.

I would agree with the ignition switch. It's really the electrical portion of the ignition switch behind the mechanical switch itself. Both my previous NSX's had this problem and I replaced them both myself. A trick is if you were to hold the key half way between the "ON" and "START" position without starting the car you will have power. Once you let the key fall back to the "ON" position the power will be lost. It's an easy job just a little cramped space to work with.

If it were the Main Relay you would be able to crank the car and it wouldn't start. You would also have power in the "ON" position.

Thx ChrisK, yes it's more than a little cramped down there, I recently replaced the clutch master cylinder. Taking the driver seat out helps!
BTW- I located the main relay...behind the passenger seat on the rear bulkhead.
I priced out both parts, approx $105 total at Acura Parts Now.com.
Probably put them in this weekend watching the Monaco F1 race.
Thx again!

What you're describing is similar to what happened to me & i would agree it's your ignition switch.
Like others say, get the main relay too & replace it, the soldering on the board is prone to cracking & can fail on you when you least expect it.

From your number of posts, you may be new to Prime and may not have found the NSX Wiki yet which can be found on the red action bar at the top of most pages. It contains a lot of useful information organized by category .. for instance, there's a section on Repairing your NSX which has further links for common problems .. and has specific pages for the ignition switch and main relay problems... including part numbers and where to find them. IIRC, there were two part numbers for the relay and you might want to check. Both can be repaired .. but since you've already ordered both, you might want to just install the new ones and repair the old ones to keep around as spares.

Repalced both the ignition switch and main relay. Back on the the road!
Thanks to all.
Enjoy the long Memorial Day weekend, be safe this!

Talk about an eager driver wanting to get back on the road. For peace of mind, you should keep a spare main relay in the car "just in case".

So this happened to me today, and my main relay is less than two years old. I guess it must be the ignition switch then?

Something similar happened to me the other day. Drove down from LA to OC and parked the car. Went inside for 5 minutes and came back out and it wouldn't start, like the battery was almost dead. Then nothing, no engine turnover, no alarm, no dash lights. Called AAA and we popped the hood. He grabbed the Positive battery terminal and it was tight. Grabbed and twisted the negative terminal and everything came back on!

Turned out to be a slightly old, corroded or poor connecting negative battery terminal. Wire brushed it all and replaced the wire terminal and I was off without any other issues.

Ign switch or Main relay both item are cheap most of us have them as spares in the trunk just incase you should buy 2 of each keep one set in trunk and replace them

Carrying spares in the trunk seems a bit excessive, especially since the ignition switch is such a bitch to replace due to the cramped access. I cannot imagine trying to change the ignition switch along the side of the road, especially at night! If you're that paranoid you're probably better off changing and/or inspecting each every 10 years. On the main relay you can pull the box apart and inspect the solder joints on the board using a magnifier glass. On the circuit board you can often see multiple solder joints that are beginning to crack due to the many years of constant vibration.

Last edited:
Carrying spares in the trunk seems a bit excessive, especially since the ignition switch is such a bitch to replace due to the cramped access. I cannot imagine trying to change the ignition switch along the side of the road, especially at night! If you're that paranoid you're probably better off changing and/or inspecting each every 10 years. On the main relay you can pull the box apart and inspect the solder joints on the board using a magnifier glass. On the circuit board you can often see multiple solder joints that are beginning to crack due to the many years of constant vibration.

a bit excessive you say LOL if you ign switch goes out on the side of the road you only need to unplug the bottom of it plug in your spare turn to start car, with key still in your orginal one that you swap during the day the next morning.

as for you knowledge of main relays you right but on the side of the road at night I doubt your gonna have a solder gun to fix it.

so excessive naaa

- - - Updated - - -

also people call me at night sometimes and atleast I have the spares to test on the side off the road at night

Back