No more BMW Z8 or M5

BMW has announced that it will cease production of two of its top-end models at the end of June. The cars concerned are the high-performance M5 sedan and the Z8 luxury sports car, the Munich company’s most expensive model. The main reason for the demise the of two prestige products is the fact that the new 5-Series, previewed in TCC last month, will not use the 5.0-liter V-8 that powers these cars, and there is no reasonable alternative power unit in the current range. A secondary reason for killing off the Z8 is that it has been neither an image-builder nor a commercial success.

That is a charge which cannot be aimed at the M5, which has established a legendary reputation among high-performance luxury sedans, creating a benchmark against which competing models from such marques as Jaguar, Audi, and Mercedes must measure themselves. In terms of power, handling and sheer performance, the M5 still sets the standard, while at the same time offering top levels of comfort and equipment to its occupants. The new 5-Series will spawn an ‘M’ version in time, but it will be a year or two before it comes to market.

The Z8, first shown as a concept at the 1997 Tokyo auto show, went into production in 2000 but has never been accepted as a true sports model capable of hacking it at the very top end of the market. With styling influenced by the elegant 507 model of the 1950s, it failed to capture the imagination of well-heeled customers, despite BMW’s expenditure of a great deal of promotional money on having it featured as James Bond’s car in the film The World is Not Enough. Fewer than 6000 Z8s have been sold worldwide, but the M5 has been a better performer. Around 20,500 of the current E39 series cars have been sold since it was introduced in 1995.

BMW were only going to build x number of Z8s and then stop.
They stopped building Z8s around Xmas and now are only building Alpina Z8s.The M5 has to stop because June is the last month for the regular 5 series. Then they build the new 5 series.

Totally normal and I wouldn't be surprised if the last NSX ever rolls off the floor in June also.

Tom Larkins said:
Are there not a few Z8's that had sunk in a transport ship in the North Sea a few months ago. What happened to them, Are they still in the ship?

No there were only a few BMWs on that ship and none were Z8s.
Most of the cars lost were Swedish. I think there was one M3.

Tony Montoya said:
BMW were only going to build x number of Z8s and then stop.
They stopped building Z8s around Xmas and now are only building Alpina Z8s.The M5 has to stop because June is the last month for the regular 5 series. Then they build the new 5 series.

Totally normal .

Absolutely correct.

Dan H said:
I heard rumors that the new M5 will have a V10??:confused:

No rumor, BMW has stated this for some time. A na V8 just wouldn't cut it against the competition which are all using fi.

I just got my Motor Trend and I find it shocking that the 5000+ pd CL55 is able to go 180mph and do a 12.5 1/4.

Funny... they must have sold the rest of those BMW's to James bond, who wrecks one every mission (or 8-12 cars per movie he does! :D)

Goldeneye - Z3
Tomorrow Never Dies - M5
The World Is Not Enough - Z8

i never liked the Z's anyhow...

<B>bayareansx1999
the HP war is sure getting outta control </B>

That's a good pun! too many HP... losing control... get it? :rolleyes:

I think this HP war is bitter sweet because it's all being poured into big, boring, land barge sedans.

It's bizzare that, right now, BMW, Audi, Volvo, Jaguar and Mercedes all produce huge automatic sedans that are much quicker than an auto NSX, Corvette or Porsche 911NA and are edging right up against the *6-speed* versions of these classic sports cars.

It's getting to the point that unless you have either a Viper, Z06 or 911TT, you are going to get schooled on the highway by 4 door soccer mom mobiles... Sure they can't hang in the twisties, but imagine not being able to pass a 4-door 5000lb sedan in an NSX, Corvette or Porsche 911????

The Corvette C6, the Porsche 997 and the next-gen NSX (if it becomes a reality) are going to have to be sub-4 0-60 and high 11's in the 1/4 to be taken seriously.

NetViper said:
Bond drove a 750 in Tommorow Never Dies.. not an M5..

sorry... i just checked, you are correct. He drives a 750-iL

M5...750...BMW's... all the same to me. :p

<B>spookyp
I think this HP war is bitter sweet because it's all being poured into big, boring, land barge sedans.</B>

LOL... ironically funny, but absolutely true!!!

sabashioyaki said:
No rumor, BMW has stated this for some time. A na V8 just wouldn't cut it against the competition which are all using fi.

I just got my Motor Trend and I find it shocking that the 5000+ pd CL55 is able to go 180mph and do a 12.5 1/4.

Info on the new 5-series including the V10-powered M5: http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content...=carnews&loc_code=index&content_code=09295784

In the 90s (I think), they finally added tilt/telescopic steering wheel, and cupholders. Now FI... The article mentions BMW is also offering a twin-turbo I6 in the new 5-series.

Twin-Turbos?

i can almost say that there's definitely going to be a new M5....500hp V10.

why do i know? a meeting today told me.....that's all i'm releasing cuz too much early info can kill me...literally.

Tony Montoya said:
How can a 5.5L V-10 have 500HP when the current 5.4L V-12 only has 320HP?

I believe the CL55 and the SL55 both have supercharged V8s making 493 hp and over 500 ftlbs of torque!!!

I think the CL600 has an NA V12 also making close to 500 hp.

One could say that these are the reasons BMW is considering a 500hp V10 for the next M5...

8000RPM said:
I believe the CL55 and the SL55 both have supercharged V8s making 493 hp and over 500 ftlbs of torque!!!

I think the CL600 has an NA V12 also making close to 500 hp.

One could say that these are the reasons BMW is considering a 500hp V10 for the next M5...

All the Merc 600s (CL, S, SL) now use a slightly detuned twin turbo V12 from the Maybach. Over 500hp and over 600tq. Treyor (sp?), the Viper guy, did a 12.4 1/4 in his stock S600 at Sacramento Raceway.

I think its safe to say the Z8 will be missed by few. However, the current M5 and last generation for that matter, I believe to be gorgeous cars. The new 5 series has already been called "too Pontiacish" in design, therefore, the current M5 may be the last of the beautifully styled high powered sedans we'll see from them. I hope I'm wrong though. If I was 40 something and didn't have issues with forking over $75K for a car I know is going to be worth $40K in a few years I would strongly consider having a current M5 in the driveway. Ever wonder if the RS6, Jag Type-R, etc would even exist if it wasn't for the M5 (standard). The same thing is happening at Cadillac and Infinity, that is trying to catch up to the M3(again, the standard).
-John

Last edited:
Back