• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

nifty food ideas that we would like to share

Now I'm no cook,but there are two little things that I like to mix up or free style and thought it would be nifty if others post some of thier favorites. My two current favs are taking the low fat vanilla activia yogurt and mixing my own fresh fruit with it. The second is simply dumping a peach fruit cup with all the syrup into freshly brewed unsweetened ice tea,,,,,,,very refreshing.

this is a stoners thread. Munchie mixes.

I also do the yogurt with fresh fruit, but I add a little ice and blend it all together for a fresh smoothie drink.

I'll smoke one later tonight and see what else I can remember

Now I'm no cook,but there are two little things that I like to mix up or free style and thought it would be nifty if others post some of thier favorites. My two current favs are taking the low fat vanilla activia yogurt and mixing my own fresh fruit with it.
i use pavel's yogurt that i've drained through a coffee filter to give it a bit more texture, less fluid... can almost be like cheesecake in texture. if we don't happen to have fresh fruit available from our trees (a rare occurrence), i'll put a spoon of our low-sugar recipe homemade jams / jellies / marmalade... or a bit of honey from the hives (depending on the desired flavor, i'll use anywhere from light'n'thin to dark'n'thick honey.)

when available, i also like to whip up a nice abalone dinner... it takes me 30 minutes to whip it up, but it's good ;)

ROTISSERIE CHICKEN WITH ROASTED VEGETABLES

3/4 bunch asparagus (about 8 medium spears)

2 portobello mushroom caps, sliced 1/4" thick

1 medium onion, cut in 1/4"-thick rings

1/2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil

Salt and pepper

1 rotisserie chicken breast or leg (skin removed)

Preheat the oven to 400˚F. Remove the woody ends of the asparagus by gently bending each stalk until it breaks -- it'll naturally snap off at the right spot. In a baking dish, toss the vegetables with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 12 to 15 minutes, until the vegetables have developed a light brown crust. Serve half the vegetables with the chicken and a simple mixed-greens salad tossed with olive oil and vinegar. Reserve the other half of the vegetables for other meals this week.

430 calories, 36 grams (g) protein, 18 g carbohydrates, 25 g fat (7 g saturated), 5 g fiber

The next day's lunch

CHICKEN PORTOBELLO WRAP WITH BALSAMIC AIOLI

1 c chopped rotisserie chicken (left over from Sunday's dinner)

3 bell peppers

1 clove garlic, minced

1 Tbsp reduced-fat mayonnaise

1 tsp balsamic vinegar

1 whole-wheat tortilla

2 Tbsp shredded mozzarella cheese

1 small handful mixed greens

1 c leftover asparagus, mushrooms, and onions

To chop the chicken, remove the skin and use a fork to pull the meat from the bones. Then place the meat on your cutting board and cut it into bite-size pieces -- it should yield about 3 cups' worth. Use 1 cup for the wrap and save the other 2 cups for later in the week. Chop the peppers into 1/2" pieces. They should yield about 4 cups; use 1/2 cup today and save the rest in a plastic bag for dinner.

Mix the garlic, mayonnaise, and vinegar together to make the aioli. Brush the tortilla with the aioli, then put the cheese down the middle, followed by the greens, chicken, and vegetables. To make a tight wrap, fold the bottom of the tortilla up first, then roll it from the side.

400 calories, 43 g protein, 29 g carbohydrates, 15 g fat (4.5 g saturated), 5 g fiber

I make this cheese dip I cant stop eating. All you need is a 8 ounce stick Velveeta cheese and one can or Ro-Tel diced tomatoes and green chilles.Then melt them all together. I forget how many minutes to put it into the microwave. I just keep heating it up till its all melted. This dip is really chunky if your not into that use a 16 ounce stick of Velveeta cheese.

Last edited:
I make this cheese dip I cant stop eating. All you need is a 8 ounce stick Velveeta cheese and one can or Ro-Tel diced tomatoes and green chilles.Then melt them all together. I forget how many minutes to put it into the microwave. I just keep heating it up till its all melted. This dip is really chunky if your not into that use a 16 ounce stick of Velveeta cheese.

That's good stuff! If it's too runny, I put a little milk in it.

so where does a guy like you get a recipe like this, doug?

LOL:biggrin: Did you think that I just eat Ramen noodles Hal? Actually, I enjoy cooking and often my dates and I end up cooking a meal together. The recipe above came from Men's Health. It was an article about being able to go to grocery once and purchase food for the following week. Like above, the leftovers from the previous dinner would be used for the following lunch. Good tasting, healthy food.

Bon Appetite:biggrin:

Ummmmm yes. That's exactly what we all thought. :tongue:

That's because all of your taste is in your mouth Craig.:tongue:

Here is another healthy and tasty dinner and lunch using leftovers...

SHRIMP FAJITAS

1/4 c instant brown rice (measured dry)

1/2 can black beans, drained and heated

1/2 Tbsp canola or other cooking oil

1 medium onion, sliced

Bell peppers, chopped into 1/2" pieces (left over from Sunday's lunch)

2 cloves garlic, chopped

8 0z shrimp, defrosted

Cayenne pepper, crushed red pepper, or Tabasco to taste

1/2tsp cumin

Salt and pepper

1/2 avocado, thinly sliced

1 whole-wheat tortilla, warmed

Cook the brown rice according to the directions on the box, then add the black beans. Heat the oil in a large sauté pan or wok over high heat. Add the onion slices, the bell- pepper pieces saved from lunch, and the chopped garlic, and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, until the vegetables begin to brown. Mix in the shrimp and spices, and cook for another 3 minutes, until the shrimp are pink and firm. Serve half of the shrimp fajita mix with a small scoop of the rice and beans, the avocado slices, and the warm tortilla.

Reserve the rest of the rice and beans in a microwavable bowl or plastic container along with the leftover fajita mix, and use it for tomorrow's lunch.

602 calories, 42 g protein, 71 g carbohydrates, 22.5 g fat (3 g saturated), 15 g fiber

As you can tell, all of these recipts are really easy to make and only take a very little amount of time. They are healthy and tastey. Only problem is that the portions are REALLY large.

The next day's lunch

FIESTA RICE BOWL

Leftover rice, beans, and fajita mix (from Monday's dinner)

1/2 avocado, thinly sliced

Salsa (optional)

Heat the leftovers in a plastic container or a microwavable bowl for 60 seconds. Top with the avocado and salsa to taste, if desired.

650 calories, 37 g protein, 85 g carbohydrates, 20 g fat (3 g saturated), 16 g fiber

LOL:biggrin: Did you think that I just eat Ramen noodles Hal? Actually, I enjoy cooking and often my dates and I end up cooking a meal together. Bon Appetite:biggrin:
never occurred to me you'd stuff away ramen noodles, doug - i know too much of your history to think that :) just askin' - and thanks for the pointers.

hal

A VERY VERY good simple/quick Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe. These will STAY SOFT and OMG are they good. This ingredient list will make approx 1 dozen average size cookies. If you want more, increase the recipe amounts accordingly.

1 stick butter (1/2 cup), softened
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups flour
1 cup chocolate chips (I use milk chocolate, feel free to increase the amount of chocolate chips for your preference)

Heat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl with mixer on medium speed, beat butter, sugar and baking soda until creamy. Add egg and vanilla; beat until blended. With mixer on low speed, beat in flour until just blended. Stir in chocolate chips.

Bake 12 minutes; remove from oven but keep cookies on the cookie sheet for 3 minutes before removing to cooling rack.

Bourbon marinated chicken:

Drink one 8 oz. glass of bourbon. Call out for chicken. I like to get fried chicken, but you may have better results with barbecued or teriyaki.

P6QBD00Z.jpg

If you're throwing a party try these little bite size items.

Cut bagette slices and toast them in the oven with some salt and olive oil.
Spread with goat cheese and fig jam

If you want some mexican night try these.

Get chicken thighs "inexpensive". Pan sear them off.
Get celery, carrots, onion, a few hot peppers of your choice, and sweat them in a stock pot. Cover with water or chicken stock.

Put the chicken in the pot with the other items and slow simmer for an hour or two.

Pull the chicken out, Blend the other items together with some ketchup, siracha.

Pull the chicken apart leaving just the meat discarding the bones and skin. Mix the chicken and blended sauce together.

Put on sandwich, put on taco shell or anything you like. Use it as a dip or anything.

These are not recipes, but if you want a better layout just PM me or ask for more things.

Oh, garnish with some cheese of your choice, lime, and cilantro.

Stephen

Last edited:
Bored at work. Posting more

Tomato soup "puree"

Fresh tomatoes
Fresh Basil
Celery
Carrots
Onion

Sweat celery, carrots, onion in a pot, add chopped tomatoes, add water, add basil. Let simmer for 30 min or so. Put liquid and items into blender and blend. Garnish with parm if you want.

You can turn this into a gaspacho as well by adding vin and taking away some of the celery and onion and adding some cucumber, but just the insides scrapped out, not the skin. Serve that chilled.

Potato soup "winter time"

Yukon gold potatos
celery
carrots
onion
bacon
butter
cream

Peal and boil potatos. Save the water since it's starchy. Chop and cook bacon, keep bacon fat if you want, if not you don't have too. Sweat out carrots celery and onion into stock pot. Add potato water "you could also boil your potatos in chicken stock like I do for added flavor". Cook the veggies until soft, add potatos. Blend the liquid and items until smooth. Add bacon fat if you want at this point.

After blended in large pot add butter and cream. Don't do it before you blend or you'll have an air'er soup. Strain if your blender sucks or you under cooked your veggies. If you have a $400 vitaprep then don't worry about it.

Garnish with bacon that you saved and chives if you want.

Stephen

Here's an interesting one.. I got this from a buddy's cousin. He's black... and no joke, he calls it 'nigga pie'

def satisfies anyones' sweet tooth.

you need:

1- Brown Sugar/Cinnamon Poptart
2- Oreo Cookies
1 or 2 teaspoons of peanut butter

-microwave the poptart for 11 seconds
-while microwaving, open up oreos and spread some peanut butter in them. close them up. spread peanut butter on one oreo and place other oreo on top. should be attached by peanut butter.
-remove poptart from microwave.
-break it in half
-spread a little peanut butter on the frosted sides of the halves.
-place the halves around the oreo stack (like a sandwich), peanut butter sides in to avoid messy fingers
-enjoy!

no recommended if you're diabetic.

Mixed Green salad:

Mixed Greens
Balsamic "maybe an aged one"
Extra Virigin Olive Oil
Rasberries
Walnuts
Asian pear or Bosch Pear or anything other than that
Blue cheese

In a blender add rasberries and balsamic. Slowly blend in olive oil until combined and until ideal taste.

Slice pear, chop walnuts and crumble blue cheese. Mix everything together.

Stephen

(i'm chuckling to myself about ken and russ's posts...)

each year i make 1/3 gal (each) of fruit liqueur from our peach, apricot, pomegranate, pear or meyers lemon trees. pretty simple, really:

* cleaned fruit - meat only (pomegranate uses whole seeds)

* put as much fruit in qt canning jars, pour 80-100 proof in to jar

* put canning lids/rings on, tighten and put in cabinet for 6-12 months, turning over 1-2x monthly. (most recipes call for 4-6 weeks, i prefer much longer)

* remove lids, strain through cheesecloth into multi qt container

* blend simple sugar syrup (pretty good link here and liqueur to your preferred taste. NOTE: my experience is the longer the blend ages, the more mellow the fruit flavor will become... if you use too much syrup, your liqueur will take more sweet than sweet and fruity. (depending on the fruit / your tastes, you may want to add a bit of vanilla bean for a short period of time... works especially nice in the pear ;)

* jar the newly-blended liqueur and tuck away in a cool, dark area for another 6-12 months (i have limoncello from '05 that tastes pretty nice, though pomegranate / apricot, etc, tends to discolor after 6 months)

you may want to take a slight sip after it's been in storage a few months to see how it's maturing... after that, filter again (if it needs it) and

enjoy yourself.

Mixed Green salad:

Mixed Greens
Balsamic "maybe an aged one"
Extra Virigin Olive Oil
Rasberries
Walnuts
Asian pear or Bosch Pear or anything other than that
Blue cheese

In a blender add rasberries and balsamic. Slowly blend in olive oil until combined and until ideal taste.

Slice pear, chop walnuts and crumble blue cheese. Mix everything together.

Stephen
had something much like this, very good.

(i'm chuckling to myself about ken and russ's posts...)

each year i make 1/3 gal (each) of fruit liqueur from our peach, apricot, pomegranate, pear or meyers lemon trees. pretty simple, really:

* cleaned fruit - meat only (pomegranate uses whole seeds)

* put as much fruit in qt canning jars, pour 80-100 proof in to jar

* put canning lids/rings on, tighten and put in cabinet for 6-12 months, turning over 1-2x monthly. (most recipes call for 4-6 weeks, i prefer much longer)

* remove lids, strain through cheesecloth into multi qt container

* blend simple sugar syrup (pretty good link here and liqueur to your preferred taste. NOTE: my experience is the longer the blend ages, the more mellow the fruit flavor will become... if you use too much syrup, your liqueur will take more sweet than sweet and fruity. (depending on the fruit / your tastes, you may want to add a bit of vanilla bean for a short period of time... works especially nice in the pear ;)

* jar the newly-blended liqueur and tuck away in a cool, dark area for another 6-12 months (i have limoncello from '05 that tastes pretty nice, though pomegranate / apricot, etc, tends to discolor after 6 months)

you may want to take a slight sip after it's been in storage a few months to see how it's maturing... after that, filter again (if it needs it) and

enjoy yourself.

If you need some "sipping" help, let me know Hal.

Back