New windows for my home..............FLOORED by the price!

Looks like I will have to talk to you before I replace the windows in my house. I bought my "new" home this past summer...that said it was built in 1950 and in a historic district, meaning the windows suck, you can feel the cold outside when you are next to them. Some of them are corner windows so I am assuming these are custom and expensive. I also believe based on the design they are structural to the house, so not sure how much that would be as a cost adder. Anyway as of right now will have to live with it as I am working on other things that need updateing right now..$$$ That said this has been an interesting thread, one of the reasons I like Prime.

Do you know if your house is ballon framed?

Noticed some fading on my floor and kitchen table. Window tint was much cheaper. Looked at new homes and they got cheap windows!!! Still getting quotes and pricing

uploadfromtaptalk1389803269530.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1389803245602.jpg

My wife and I went through a similar situation when replacing windows three years ago. We looked at every option out there. Check out Simonton Windows. very efficient windows, many styles to choose from and pricing was very good. www.simontonwindows.com best of luck

I would recommend looking into the Infinity line from Marvin Windows. Fiberglass- no rot ever. I don't like Anderson. Wood frames. Any condensation (like in winter) will lift the finish with time & then the wood starts to go. http://www.infinitywindows.com/default.aspx. I had 2 windows replaced & a Therma Tru fiberglass front door put in for ~1800 about 8 yrs ago. I don't see the point in wood. It will rot sooner or later. Go for low maintenance & pretty much indestructible.

I would recommend looking into the Infinity line from Marvin Windows. Fiberglass- no rot ever. I don't like Anderson. Wood frames. Any condensation (like in winter) will lift the finish with time & then the wood starts to go. http://www.infinitywindows.com/default.aspx. I had 2 windows replaced & a Therma Tru fiberglass front door put in for ~1800 about 8 yrs ago. I don't see the point in wood. It will rot sooner or later. Go for low maintenance & pretty much indestructible.

Went to the homeshow in Austin this weekend. I honestly was NOT impressed with the windows Marvin had compared to the Andersen A-series windows. They were just kind of ....ok. Not ruling them out completely though.

- - - Updated - - -

My wife and I went through a similar situation when replacing windows three years ago. We looked at every option out there. Check out Simonton Windows. very efficient windows, many styles to choose from and pricing was very good. www.simontonwindows.com best of luck

Thanks for the link!

- - - Updated - - -

Im thinking of going this route, my winters in Austin are not that long and the gas bill are at MAX 110.00 a month. Now the electric bill in the summer months, which span from May-Oct can hit $250 on the hottest month. I think im gonn battle the heat right and just get window tint. Upstairs in the summer can be brutal. I also bought a solar attic fan to help with the heat.

Here is the tint, i have them on the big window over the front door and it worked keeping the heat away form the upstairs thermostat.
http://www.sunsationalsolutions.com/about/

Went to the homeshow in Austin this weekend. I honestly was NOT impressed with the windows Marvin had compared to the Andersen A-series windows. They were just kind of ....ok. Not ruling them out completely though.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the link!

- - - Updated - - -

Im thinking of going this route, my winters in Austin are not that long and the gas bill are at MAX 110.00 a month. Now the electric bill in the summer months, which span from May-Oct can hit $250 on the hottest month. I think im gonn battle the heat right and just get window tint. Upstairs in the summer can be brutal. I also bought a solar attic fan to help with the heat.

Here is the tint, i have them on the big window over the front door and it worked keeping the heat away form the upstairs thermostat.
http://www.sunsationalsolutions.com/about/

That's cheap for heat. Up here I pay over a grand a month for heat just in the winter and electric is 400-600 a month in the winter, 250 in the summer. This is after I reduced the electric substantially by replacing all my bulbs with Cree LEDs. It was brutal cold here last month getting down into the negatives. The fuel oil truck was here twice dropping off 600 bucks of fuel each time, so last month was pretty high. Those Cree bulbs give off such nice light. I'd recommend them to anyone looking to change out bulbs, especially ones that are high up because they last like fifty years.

If you need anymore help getting a good deal on windows just let me know. I have access to most brands. I just want to be sure you get a good deal.

- - - Updated - - -

If by balloon framing (had to look it up) you mean the outside structure of the house, then no as the house is block with a crawl space. I am not sure about the inside walls though.

What makes you believe the windows are structural to the house? Sounds like your not ballon framed so that's good. Block is much harder to do window replacements unless you leave the existing frame of the window that's currently in place but you don't have to. If your in a historical district you may have to keep the current look of the windows you now have. Check with city hall before you drop money on windows that may not comply. Anderson has an historical series window but they are crazy expensive. There are ways to take your current windows apart and upgrade them to be efficient then reinstall them. I did this on a large building I bought, like 100 windows. It saved me a huge amount of money and they looked great after I stripped them and repainted. That was a scary job, like 60 feet off the ground in a cherry picker scary.

What makes you believe the windows are structural to the house? Sounds like your not ballon framed so that's good. Block is much harder to do window replacements unless you leave the existing frame of the window that's currently in place but you don't have to. If your in a historical district you may have to keep the current look of the windows you now have. Check with city hall before you drop money on windows that may not comply. Anderson has an historical series window but they are crazy expensive. There are ways to take your current windows apart and upgrade them to be efficient then reinstall them. I did this on a large building I bought, like 100 windows. It saved me a huge amount of money and they looked great after I stripped them and repainted. That was a scary job, like 60 feet off the ground in a cherry picker scary.

The home inspector mentioned that the corner steel windows on older homes were often structural (He wasn't positive on my house but mentioned that they could be).

As for the historic district, yes, believe I will be forced to maintain the look of the older windows. So not sure what that will cost, I would also consider other options, like the ones you mentioned above. Which may be more cost effective, just not sure to do specifically, besides some of the window films i have seen. When you changed the glass, what did you change the glass from to? maybe that's a good option as well for now, but not sure what all is involved. I could take a picture of the window if that helps.

After lots of debating. I decided the windows in my home were fine. I added all the other upgrades i wanted to do together and decided it might be time for another house. Thanks for all the replies, the hunt for windows opened my eyes to lots of different things and sales tactics! I looked at lots of new homes in the last few months and the windows they put in these newer homes are MUCH better than the ones in my home now. I saw homes from 299k-685k and NONE of them had the 80k windows from Anderson!

On a somewhat similar subject, what does it say when you have many double paned Windows with condensation between the panes? Obviously the seals are no good but I looked at a house today and out of 34 Windows probably 10 or 12 of them had condensation between the panes. Can you repair the seal or is it new window time? Or just live with it as is time.

Last edited:
Back