New to the community

No need to apologize, you gave this info in your first post!

I know I'm getting old now. Well, all I can say is WHEW! on the TB! Geez, I thought we had a long term winner!!!:eek::eek::eek: I was into instant freak out. Sorry for the alarm. However, we didn't know about the service and thank goodness it has had that service - but I guess we are all wondering how long it took the previous owner to put 2000 miles on the car cause I believe it may still be the winner of the long term use of a timing belt.

For our 3.0 engines in models 91 -96 the interval of TB replacement is 6 years or 90k miles. Obviously it didn't qualify on miles but the years - oh my ....it had to be way over or stored for an incredibly long time. Doubt that it was stored....sooooo, good thing it was replaced before it broke - wonders never cease.

It's funny because I've been on this "should I change out the Timing belt" thread that is going along now - and you wouldn't believe the ass pounding I was getting for suggesting that someone would be ok if they didn't replace their TB that was just on the interval cut line with 19k miles for a couple of years. WOW.....wait till they see this one:biggrin:

Ok, Skitz, what else are you holding back on us...lol. Unreal dude, I was about to fall out of my chair. LOL.

Ok, no more just petering out the info - come clean you rascal...we want all the stats and records and interior shots and all that good stuff. I'll be back here later to check on further developments...:wink:

Here are several interior shots. Not the best but the best I can provide for now. The driver seat looks alot more worn in these pictures though.

Attachments

• PICT0013.jpg
    PICT0013.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 26
  • PICT0012.jpg
    PICT0012.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 24
  • PICT0014.jpg
    PICT0014.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 25
  • PICT0011.jpg
    PICT0011.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 24
Thanks for the info about the shop. I will check into it. Here are a few more pictures. Still trying to identify the exhaust. I also learned that a new clutch was installed when the TB was changed. I feel like an idiot for not catching this stuff before I purchased it.

Attachments

• PICT0061.jpg
    PICT0061.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 20
  • PICT0052.jpg
    PICT0052.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 21
  • PICT0050.jpg
    PICT0050.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 21
  • PICT0056.jpg
    PICT0056.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 22
  • PICT0058.jpg
    PICT0058.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 22
where at in florida? Im in tampa, and there is a shop called
Rennen Imports, they do all kinds of Ferrari's Porcshe, BMW, Lotus, and NSX's

they had this 2009 Lotus on the lift, and they put an S2000 engine in it, I asked the guy why he said they can tune it better and it will be more reliable and faster. Huh??? I know nothing about Lotus.

I though who would take out a lotus engine and put in a 4 Cyl honda.

yeah I love honda with all my fiber

but go track the car and open the hood and show all the guys your Honda with a lotus Kit. I still dont understand

maybe you guys can explain why would they do that? take a 2009 Lotus and put in a S2000 engine? help clear my mind of this

Last edited:
I am mostly around Gainesville but Orlando and Tampa from time to time. Though I am in and out of the country often. I know it was common for the earlier model Elise to get engine swaps. Honda engines and VW 1.8T were used often. I don't know if the Toyota supplied engines were lacking.

Yes they came with 4 cyl transvers mounted toyota engines run by Lotus engine management system. I ways saying perhaps the Toyota engine was lacking so it became popular to do the swap. But again I would like to say thanks for the great welcome to the NSX world. It is appreciated.

Hey Shawn,

You have part of your answer, the Lotus comes with a Toyota engine as Skitz says. But the Honda engine is a 2.4 litre - is bigger and develops more power - I doubt if it was more reliable but it could be - depends on how the guy is driving it. Since Lotus just uses their own engine management system it's no big deal I guess. The transmission is Toyota too. Just like in the new Evora - Toyota V6 and 6 speed. The 6 speed from what Car & Driver says sucks.

Back