new to board

• Thread starter Thread starter RKS
  • Start date Start date

RKS

New to this board. I have a 91'blk with 16k miles. Mods are BBS RS2 rims, intake, DC headers, and taitec ll exhaust. Was going to modify the car with supercharger, suspensions,etc... but bought another car instead of mods-BMW 8 series.

If you have an 850, be prepared to be very disappointed with the performance. While it is fast for a sedan, it does not perform as well in the real world as it looks like it would on paper. With the big V12, it should haul, but even the heavily modified ones seem ponderous. Not trying to bash the car - they are one of the best looking bimmers and are very classy - but a modified NSX will be a LOT more fun to drive. Every one I know who bought an 850 sold it within two years.

Again, not trying to bash the car, but it is a pattern I have seen many times and one of the main reasons I bought an AMG instead of a V12 850.

Welcome to the cult, er I mean the board! Not everyone is into modyfying their cars, no shame there. Sounds like you have a nice couple of cars to choose from depeending what kind of mood you are in!
wink.gif

Welcome to the board. I also have a '91 with slightly higher miles than yours (like 100,000 more miles
biggrin.gif
). A few questions:
1. How long have you had your car?
2. What are your impressions?
3. Are you aware of the "snap ring" issue with the '91s?
4. Are you aware of the "power window" issue with the '91s?
5. Have you replaced the radiator hoses? (I know it only has 16k miles - but those hoses are 11 years old)
6. Along the same lines as question #5, has the timing belt/water pump been replaced?

On the home page for this website is a copy (in Adobe format) of the 1991 NSX service manual. Also there is an outstanding FAQ on this site.

Again welcome to the board. You will find this an invaluable resource, and as the Forums Nazi will no doubt tell you, the "search" function is your friend.

------------------
'91 Black/Black

Originally posted by Michigan NSX:
3. Are you aware of the "snap ring" issue with the '91s?

Remember, about 80 percent of the '91s are not affected by the snap ring issue. The ones that are, are readily identifiable based on the transmission serial number.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Remember, about 80 percent of the '91s are not affected by the snap ring issue. The ones that are, are readily identifiable based on the transmission serial number.

I know that, but I thought "the new guy" might not be aware of it. Just encouraging him to look into his car using this site as reference. (I know I almost did cartwheels when I found out my car was not in the range!)
biggrin.gif

------------------
'91 Black/Black

[This message has been edited by Michigan NSX (edited 08 May 2002).]

Thanks for the welcome. I had the car for approx. 2.5 years. Larry at nsx modified has already check out the car. I bought the BMW because I like the look of the car (I know its a heavy car).It is also a 91' 850i with only 13,600 miles and has been checked out by my mechanic (bmw guy). The market is very soft for these cars. Anyway,it makes me appreciate my NSX even more.

Originally posted by RKS:
It is also a 91' 850i with only 13,600 miles ...

You seem to have a knack for finding rare 11 year old automobiles with less than 17,000 miles on them?
cool.gif

------------------
'91 Black/Black

Back