New TL is absolutely incredible

NetViper said:
Car and Driver TV reviewed the TL last night. Damn.. they toasted it. They are a lot more brutal on TV than they are in the magazine. I guess Larry Webster is trying to be cool... but he will never be a Clarkson or Needle.

Anyway, they said until the car is either RWD or AWD, they wouldn't touch it.

I have to disagree. It is a sedan. It is not meant to blow through the twisties at 90 MPH. Most people would probably rarely notice the torque steer in a daily commute.

Car and Driver has been a vocal critic of the new TL, primarily on anti-FWD grounds.

It is a somewhat unfair criticism of the TL. Yes, FWD has its compromises, but the TL makes no illusions about its FWD nature nor do most of its buyers.

Understood as a sedan, to say nothing about being all-weather capable (a plus to some, including me), the FWD torque steer is not a significant issue.

test drive an s60r (volvo). Another fast sedan, without the torque steer problem. the new tl could really stand an awd option. Considering most tls are daily drivers, i cant see rear wheel drive--but i suspect awd option would capture much larger market share.

I watched the showing of the NY autosalon and they showed an AWD RL and said to look out for the drivetrain to be passed down the line.
ny2004pic1.jpg

2005 Acura RL - This conservative so-called concept is a near-production RL luxury sedan, featuring an amazing 300hp 3.5L VTEC V6 mated to a 5-speed automanual and all-wheel-drive

I scrolled past the RL picture quickly without reading the text, and I thought it was an Accord. Therein lies the problem Acura has with most of their line - it's so bland. Even the MDX is nearly invisible. So they are engineered well and are extremely reliable - all that means is that I get to be bored for a longer period of time if I buy one.

I have owned an Integra GSR sedan and a 2003 TL-S - both were fine cars, but the styling could be a cure for insomnia. Look around at what other companies are doing (Nissan/Infiniti in particular), and you see cutting edge performance and beautiful styling. You certainly can't say that about Acura.

I fully expect to be toasted by the blindingly loyal Acuraphiles - bring it! :D

How much are they discounting the new TL w/Navigation. Local car prostitute told me $2500 and thats it. Would you guys that own them let me know. My wife wants one and shes due for a new ride.

Thanks

Back