New TL is absolutely incredible

I just picked up a new TL over the weekend and just want to say....if anyone is considering a mid-size luxury car definitely drive the TL!! The car has enough gadgets to keep anyone satisfied for a long while, it's super comfortable, great looks, and it's fast!! We're still breaking it in but you can tell this car has serious power. The 6spd is super crisp, and the car is very tight. I only have 2 complaints. The clutch is too vague, making it hard to feel when it's engaging. Also, the car (because it's front wheel drive) has TONS of torque steer. If you are not pointing straight and you punch it the car tries to pull the wheel fiercely out of your hand. If I'm not mistaken I think the TL has the most HP for a front wheel drive car, anyone think of another??

Anyway, the car rocks!!! And so does Acura of Bridgewater, Mike Lasko (owns a NSX, sometimes on Prime) is one of the sales managers there, he and the salesman Ted Giordano seriously hooked me up :):)

I checked them out at the last club meeting at Weir Canyon Acura. They are sweet, the nav system looks great. I have not ridden in one that is broken in for real testing :D Enjoy

jadkar said:
... If I'm not mistaken I think the TL has the most HP for a front wheel drive car, anyone think of another??...

Only one comes to mind. The 1969 Toronado which had an optional W-34 package with 400HP @ 4800RPM. :D

Anyway, congrats on the new TL. I've sat in one a few times at the dealership and would like to get one when the time comes for me to purchase a sedan. As for the torque steer, when I had my SHO it also pulled crazy from side to side and chirped the front wheels during the 1-2 and 2-3 shift. IT's something you'll get used to over time and it's not that bad once you learn how the throttle responds at certian RPM's.

I bet within 2 years they adopt a version of the MDX all wheel drive system to the new TL. Then you will have an Audi quattro screemer at a bargain price.

Congrats!
It's an excellent car.
I had an opportunity to have the car for a week, and it was a blast to drive and be in.

Where do you keep all those cars???:eek: :eek:

It's a shame about the torque steer. :(

The 4WD would make a huge difference.

-Jim

WillErickson said:
The last generation Cadillac STS had 300 hp from the Northstar V8.

I have a 97 Cadi STS with the Northstar. The thing handles like a PIG. My Odyssey mini van would kick it's butt on the track but in a straight line - watch out - pretty quick. Torque steer galore!

I test drove the new TL last time I took my 02' TLS in for an oil change...it's definitely a very nice car, but you're right about the clutch feel. I stalled it the first time I took out for a spin. I think the gas pedal is also too sensitive. You tap it, and the RPMs go up too quickly.

-Awais

Jimbo said:
It's a shame about the torque steer. :(

The 4WD would make a huge difference.

-Jim

I would agree with that. I think in a year they will introduce the 4wd system from the RL on the TL and it will be sweet. Of course, I am sure it will weigh a good bit extra (300lbs?). So straight line acceleration might actually be a little slower.. It would be worth it though for no TQ steer.

I had two TLs as loaners when my NSX was in having the timing belt done and then the clutch.

The first was loaded with NAV and XM and a gorgeous color combo (silver / black). Loved the car, hated the torque steer. ofcourse as a loaner they gave me an auto and I was surprised at how responsive the autostick was, but I would definitely buy the six-speed if I was getting one.

The second was somewhat stripped, no NAV (left the dash looking cheap) and an aweful color combo (tan/tan).

Great car, but sincerely wish it was rear-wheel drive.

NeSX said:

Great car, but sincerely wish it was rear-wheel drive.

Amen to that.

I've driven both the auto and manual and while I think Honda is making an excellent product with tons of value, I won't buy one. I don't think I'll ever go back to FWD cars and while I'm stoked that Honda is making distinct and handsome cars again (I loathe the old TL and the current RL for being so boring that they put me to sleep looking at them), I guarantee that torque steer would piss me off every day I drove the car.

But that's just me.

It is actually a really wierd sensation to have counter steer through the combination of torque steer and spinning front tires... kind of novel.

I don't consider the torque steer to be a major detraction from the overall package of the TL. I just hit 10k miles on my 04/6MT/Nav.

I wanted a better winter car for my daily driver. If I need RWD, I take my old 270 hp. manual transmission Acura instead of my new one.

If it was going to be my only car, that TL would have been an E39 M5 instead.

Karen and I finally got out and took some photos of her new ride.

The whole album is here......

http://glasssphere.homeip.net/MyPhotos/Automobiles/2004 Acura TL/index.html

May_Sunday_Andover0002.jpg

May_Sunday_Andover0032.jpg

May_Sunday_Andover0048.jpg

May_Sunday_Andover0057.jpg

May_Sunday_Andover0097.jpg

May_Sunday_Andover0105.jpg

I bought a Sigma 15-30mm lens about a month ago for my trip to the auto show. This lens is incredilbe!! I'm still learning how to use it and the camera correctly but the wide angle is great especially considering the price. When I mounted it on Karens "film" SLR the results were unreal!!

yes the 04's are pretty sweet. my buddy just bought one a few months ago. but with any car, the first year of a new generation car is due for some changes, and through the grape vine this is what the 05's are going to have equipped. i bet the 04 guys are kinda pissed if they hear about this.

Here are all the upgrades for the 2005 Acura TL:

1. Onstar
2. SH-AWD
3. Run Flat Tires
4. Tire Pressure Monitoring System
5. Fold down Rear Seats
6. MP3 play/display ID capability
7. Ipod Ready Alpine interface (on-screen stereo unit controls ipod) with cabling/charging in lower console
8. SACD capability
9. NAVI with traffic alerts a la 2005 RL.
10. HUD for Navi
11. Night vision HUD
12. Active/Responsive Headlights, as in the BMW 530
13. External keypad
14. Rear window auto shade and rear side pull-up manual shades as in the old 740 (or sienna minivan!)
15. More tire choices (wider, larger) at minimal cost to include 18” wheels
16. Integrated Key/remote with folding key, as in the Volvo or VW (or SAAB).
17. Apparently better leather, better padding with no ‘butt print’ that lingers
18. Fully automatically adjustable passenger seat
19. Ventilated seats with cooling
20. Heated steering wheel and seats
21. Daytime running lights
22. Real Fog Lights (not integrated)
23. Auto on/off headlights (but I think they’re already programmable in the TL)
24. External Trunk button to open trunk from outside ( BMW 6 series used emblem touch as trunk opener)
25. Turn signals in mirrors
26. Dimming external mirrors (like Z4)
27. side LED blinks with turn signal ( thought this was required in Europe?)
28. Lights that light up curb when apply turn signal
29. “Moleskin = felt” in the windows for tinting instead of hard plastic “wiper” in door well.
30. Navi with instant mpg and large compass display and better trip computer
31. No dimming internal mirror (manual option)
32. extra little change holders, since there are slots for them in the side pouches
33. Play DVD in Navi when parked
34. back up camera instead of just ‘beep’
35. Better rubber that doesn’t develop “flat spots” when in the cold overnight with better wet grip
36. Dual sun visors on driver and passenger sides (easy and cheap option)
37. DVD ent center in rear with LCD’s that have covers in headrest with controls and loading in the rear.
38. Hybrid Motor for better fuel economy

unc0808 said:
yes the 04's are pretty sweet. my buddy just bought one a few months ago. but with any car, the first year of a new generation car is due for some changes, and through the grape vine this is what the 05's are going to have equipped. i bet the 04 guys are kinda pissed if they hear about this.

Here are all the upgrades for the 2005 Acura TL:

Either you are joking, or have misinterpreted a WISH LIST for an official statement about changes to the 2005s.

Few, if any, of the changes you have listed will occur for 2005, AFAIK.

If you believe all that, I have a bridge to sell you. Here is a picture of it from high atop my Mountain, which is also for sale.....

May_Saturday_Bear-Mt0102.jpg

Seriously, We are talkign about a company that's pretty slow to move (for the most part) They would NEVER make that many changes that fast. Plus, they would never put that many goodies in a TL, especially when they are trying to push the new RL next year. Common sense dude, some things may come about. I would say if your lucky maybe 5-10% of what you listed. I think that grape vine may have started during 5th period study hall:):)

yeah, i had a 99 tl, but the torque oversteer wasnt awfully bad, as the car wasnt that powerful anyway. The03 volvo s60, however, was HORRIBLE. I had the t5 option, great car, surprisingly fast, but the torque steer was irritating beyond belief. Volvo solved that problem with the s60r. Acura really needs awd in the newer tls.

i dont make this stuff up. i got it off my acura cl site.
You are missing my point. I don't for one second doubt you. I doubt your source. Anyway it doesn't matter, this isn't gonna be the last Acura I buy. When the newest and greatest model comes out, I probably buy that one :D:D

unc0808 said:
i dont make this stuff up. i got it off my acura cl site. i will find it though.

You will probably find a link to www.acura-tl.com and this thread, which details the WISH LIST for the 2005s (and is quite clear that is is NOT accurate, but rather the opinions of a few forum members):

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80562&page=1&pp=25

There was an earlier thread (that I can't find at the moment) that asked people to list all of the things people would LIKE to see on the 2005 TL. That thread is where the above list originated from.

No one has ever claimed these will be actual changes to the 2005 TL, AFAIK.

Common sense tells you there is no way Acura would make such radical changes to a car in its 2nd year of production, particularly when they are selling at a brisk pace.

Car and Driver TV reviewed the TL last night. Damn.. they toasted it. They are a lot more brutal on TV than they are in the magazine. I guess Larry Webster is trying to be cool... but he will never be a Clarkson or Needle.

Anyway, they said until the car is either RWD or AWD, they wouldn't touch it.

I have to disagree. It is a sedan. It is not meant to blow through the twisties at 90 MPH. Most people would probably rarely notice the torque steer in a daily commute.

Back