New product idea, really need help

Russ is right about discussing this. DON'T DO IT. Either get your IP in place first, or have people sign a Non Disclosure Agreement prior to discussing it. The former is more likely if you think you can get a utility patent and intend to license this. The latter is more likely if you intend to develop this idea in parallel with the legal process.

If you wish, I can help you get it designed, quoted, manufactured and possibly marketed (depending on the segment). I do this for a living (you have seen my work under the DeWalt, Ridgid, and Snap-On brands among others). If not, I am still happy to help you understand the lay of the land. Pm me if you want to exchange contact info and discuss this further.

Assuming the product segment does not conflict with something I am already working on, I am willing to sign an NDA and help you out with this. I would need to understand the situation a little better, but I can very likely assist directly and/or refer you to the right contacts.

Last edited:
Steve, is your solution for both sheets or just the fitted sheet?

Just the fitted sheet. I actually taught myself how to sew and made fitted sheets that won't come off, as well they can be put on the bed in about a quarter of the time it takes to put regular sheets on.

we should get together my ideas are more complex than
a smoke detector 90 feet in the air with a long wire to a reachable battery idea LOL

do your ideas pop in your head and you cant sleep at night till you write them down to put your mind at ease?

when I look at anything I see numbers and graphs start poping out at me like a bad dream. daily.... I havent slept in years because fo this.

my mind is always thinking about numbers its weird

a disorder I may have? the next Einstein I doubt it LOL

my ideas are more complex than
a smoke detector 90 feet in the air with a long wire to a reachable battery idea LOL

Well if that is your idea of what my idea is then your idea is not so complex:tongue:

However simplicity is what sells ideas to the masses anyways.

Well if that is your idea of what my idea is then your idea is not so complex:tongue:

However simplicity is what sells ideas to the masses anyways.

Steve I need this invention for changing batteries on smoke detectors on high ceilings. Lightbulbs too if you care to share. :biggrin:

In my opinion, unless it's a ground breaking, extremely novel idea that the world is going to copy, I wouldn't bother with the expense or hassle of patenting it. Particularly if you can't afford to defend it in court at a later time.

If you're talking about selling something in the thousands of units, it's definitely not worth patenting. If it was hundreds of thousands, or millions of units, it would be a different thing.

Our company does quite a bit of R&D. We file several hundred patents a year, and I myself have several under my belt. Out of the thousands of patents that we own, there's only a handful that I know of that we've used in court to assert our rights. In some cases, they are significant (one patent resulted in a $300M settlement), but for the most part it's a defensive portfolio.

The other thing to keep in mind is that if there are other products on the market that do something similar (but perhaps not in the same novel fashion), it will make it harder to prove your case.

Whatever your idea is, your are going to need a website for it. :biggrin:

You can build me a rocket ship but if I don't know how to use it....... I think the big and recurring money would be in running and maintaining sites especially brand new ones that may take off and be worth a friggen ton of money and you now own a percentage.

I only have " the poor man patent "

draw out your idea and mail it to yourself. to you from you.
and never open it just file it away. it shows about when you came up with the idea by the stamp the post office uses. its a sealed item from the USPS.
thats all I have done so I have a huge 3-ring binder filled to the brim with stuff I have come up with since i was 10 years old

Well I know one thing you can do right now is mail your design to yourself. Thus creating a date on which you created the design for future reference in case somebody tries to claim your idea.

This is a complete MYTH.
http://uspatentresource.com/patent-it-yourself.htm
http://www.inventionpatent.net/patent/poor-man's-patent.html

inventionpatent.net said:
This is not true at all, and can in fact hurt your later patent rights.

Sending a a certified letter sent to yourself or someone else can legally only prove one thing- that you sent a letter to yourself or someone else. It does not prove what is inside the envelope itself, and will not stand up in any court or before the USPTO.

Steve I need this invention for changing batteries on smoke detectors on high ceilings. Lightbulbs too if you care to share. :biggrin:

Step 1: mount an eye-ring on your ceiling
Step 2: put a rope through it
Step 3: attach to smoke detector to rope
Step 4: pull rope, smoke detector goes up to ceiling
Step 5: tie off rope
:biggrin:

Or do it the redneck way. attach smoke detector to ceiling with duct tape folded over to make double sided tape. By the time the duct tape falls off and smoker drops to the floor it's time to change the battery.
:biggrin:

Edward, btw I use one of those telescoping thingies that hold a light bulb and they actually work great. Problem is incandescent lights are being phased out by the US Govt sticking their nose in.... Even though this pic shows a CFL, IMO they are too fragile to work with something like this.

5121TRGKDDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

C&CCFLBulb10052548_x.jpg

Back