New Owner of '92 Coupe in SoCal

Congrats on the car. That's the great thing about the NSX, lots of people took great care of them, so even after 20 years they are super clean.

So you have an NSX, S2000, and Evo... pretty well rounded garage. What's next? :wink:

Congrats on the car. That's the great thing about the NSX, lots of people took great care of them, so even after 20 years they are super clean.

So you have an NSX, S2000, and Evo... pretty well rounded garage. What's next? :wink:

Hopefully an open wheel formula car to race with SCCA, HSR West, etc. Formula Continental or Formula Mazda maybe.

Looks great! I work in El Segundo and generally drive mine on Fridays. . maybe I'll see you around!

I left my wallet in El Segundo.:wink:

Car is being serviced. New timing belt, valve adjustment, clutch master cylinder, engine seals, repair oil pan (someone tried to jack up by that once upon a time), fluids, adjust clutch pedal (engages too close to top of travel), etc. Got it to pass smog by cleaning out the EGR (recirculating exhaust). Picking up a set of shaved Toyo RA-1 for track duty this weekend. Should run even better when I get it back next week. But I will be leaving my wallet with the mechanic. :redface:

:smile::smile::smile:

Car is being serviced. New timing belt, valve adjustment, clutch master cylinder, engine seals, repair oil pan (someone tried to jack up by that once upon a time), fluids, adjust clutch pedal (engages too close to top of travel), etc. Got it to pass smog by cleaning out the EGR (recirculating exhaust). Picking up a set of shaved Toyo RA-1 for track duty this weekend. Should run even better when I get it back next week. But I will be leaving my wallet with the mechanic. :redface:

I would be very careful about adjusting a clutch pedal - there is not one of our top mechanics, like Larry Bastanza or Barney or Eiffel, that would recommend that - the clutch upon new installation engages out at the top - that is normal for a good clutch. You can wiki that and you'll see what I mean.

Good luck with everything but that though, I know you will love your experience.

Who did you bring it to for the work?

Who did you bring it to for the work?

The race car mechanic who works on my track-day S2000. He has lots of experience with NSX, and obviously knows more than that certain mechanic in South Orange County (who shall remain nameless), who checked the car out and only told me that the compression was very good and that it needed a timing belt, but left everything else out.

You have an amazing set of simple cars worthy of the track. You can take any of those 3 out to the track and perform well I'm sure. Props to you for staying true to racing engineering.

You have an amazing set of simple cars worthy of the track. You can take any of those 3 out to the track and perform well I'm sure. Props to you for staying true to racing engineering.

The '06 Evo IX MR is my daily driver and I don't track it. I used to have an '04 Evo VIII RS that I built into a heavily modified and caged track car (but not fully prepped race car). At one point, it had 439 rwhp, and 383 awtq. I kept blowing up motors, gearboxes and turbos, and finally gave up and sold it as a rolling chassis.

I got the car back yesterday after my mechanic replaced the timing belt and engine seals, adjusted the valves, changed fluids, etc. etc. The car is such an incredible joy to drive. I took it to work today (40 mile commute each way), and just arrived at the office with a $h!t eating grin on my face. :biggrin:

I bought a set of R-comp tires and I am going to Las Vegas with some life-long friends this weekend, and will be taking the car on the track for the first time this Saturday at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway -- Outside Roadcourse. Can't wait! :cool:

I bought a set of R-comp tires and I am going to Las Vegas with some life-long friends this weekend, and will be taking the car on the track for the first time this Saturday at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway -- Outside Roadcourse. Can't wait! :cool:

Sounds like an awesome time! Just watch out for that "snap oversteer", it can get you at all the wrong times. .. I'm sure you'll be fine though!

Sounds like an awesome time! Just watch out for that "snap oversteer", it can get you at all the wrong times. .. I'm sure you'll be fine though!

There's practically nothing to hit at LVMS Outside Roadcourse. Lots of dirt runoff like Buttonwillow.

Have a great and SAFE time. :biggrin:

Had a blast at the outside Roadcourse at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. Also took the car through Latigo Canyon in Malibu again this morning at 7:00 a.m. on the way to work. Amazing.

The gearing is so tall it's ridiculous. This car does 80 mph in SECOND GEAR! :biggrin:

The gearing is so tall it's ridiculous. This car does 80 mph in SECOND GEAR! :biggrin:

Uhh, yeah! I don't think it's beneficial though for N/A NSXs. The NSX-R transmission is better for quicker acceleration because of the gearing and final drive.

Uhh, yeah! I don't think it's beneficial though for N/A NSXs. The NSX-R transmission is better for quicker acceleration because of the gearing and final drive.

According to this article from WikiPedia, it was not the gearing that was different in the NSX-R, but the final drive ratio, which is easy to change, much cheaper than installing a different gearbox. If you think this article is incorrect and the '92 NSX-R had a different gearbox, please let me know. Thanks.

First generation NSX-R (JDM)
While the NSX always was intended to be a world-class sports car, engineers had made some compromises in order to strike a suitable balance between raw performance and daily driveability. For those NSX customers seeking a no-compromise racing experience, Honda decided in 1992 to produce a version of the NSX specifically modified for superior on-track performance at the expense of customary creature comforts. Thus, the NSX Type R (or NSX-R) was born. Honda chose to use its moniker of Type-R to designate the NSX-R's race-oriented design.
Honda engineers started with a base NSX coupe and embarked on an aggressive program of weight reduction. Sound deadening, the audio system, spare tire, air conditioning system and traction control along with some of the electrical equipment was removed. The power leather seats were replaced with lightweight carbon fiber racing seats manufactured for Honda by Recaro. However, electric windows and fore/aft electric seat adjusters were retained. The stock forged alloy wheels were replaced with lighter forged aluminium wheels produced by Enkei, which reduced the car's unsprung weight. The stock leather shift knob was replaced with a sculpted titanium piece. Overall, Honda managed to remove approximately 120 kg (265 lb) of weight, giving the NSX-R a final weight of 1,230 kg (2,712 lb).
Tuning to the suspension, it was well known by 1992 that the NSX, due to its mid-engine layout and rear-end link travel, was susceptible to a sudden oversteer condition during certain cornering maneuvers. While this condition rarely occurred during spirited street driving, it was much more prevalent on race tracks where speeds were much higher. To address the problem and improve the NSX-R's cornering stability at the limit; Honda replaced the entire suspension with stiffer suspension bushings, stiffer coil springs and stiffer dampers.
The stock NSX has a rear bias in its spring rates, where the rear springs are stiffer than the front. On hard deceleration upon corner entry, the softer front springs allow weight transfer to the front wheels, increasing front grip and thus improving steering response. However, the weight transfer also takes weight off of the rear wheels, causing them to lose grip. The net result is a tendency toward oversteer, as the rear wheels are more likely to break traction and cause a fishtail (drift) or spin. For the NSX-R, Honda reversed the spring bias, placing stiffer springs on the front suspension. This had the effect of preventing weight transfer to the front suspension under hard braking. This way, the rear tires would remain firmly set when entering the corner. Of course, by keeping weight off of the front wheels, front grip was reduced and the change therefore had the negative effect of increasing the understeer tendency of the car. This change required better driver skill to manage. Overall, the NSX-R uses much stiffer springs than the stock NSX (F 3.0 kg/mm—R 4.0 kg/mm for the NSX versus F 8.0 kg/mm—R 5.7 kg/mm for the NSX-R).
Honda also changed the final drive ratio by lowering to a 4.235:1 ring and pinion gear in place of the 4.06:1 stock unit which moved the NSX-R's gear shifting points higher into the powerband at higher rpm's. This change greatly improved acceleration at the expense of top speed and higher (percentage) locking limited-slip differential was installed. Also, the NSX-R 3.0 liter DOHC VTEC V-6 engine has a blueprinted and balanced crankshaft assembly which is exactly the same labor-intensive high precision process done for Honda racing car engines built by highly qualified engine technicians.
The lightest of all NSX variants at 1,230 kg (2,712 lb), the First-Gen NSX-R is capable of blistering track performance, though the ride can be jarring and noisy due to the stiff suspension bushings, stiff spring rates and lack of sound insulation.
Beginning in late November 1992, Honda produced a limited number of 483 NSX-R variants exclusively for the Japanese domestic market (JDM). Factory optional items as Air conditioning, BOSE stereo system, Carbon fiber trim center console with Carbon fiber door trim and starting in 1994 Championship White painted larger wheels (16"front wheels/17"rear wheels) were available for a hefty premium. Production ended in September 1995.

(Source: WikiPedia)

Back