New Owner, car has had NOS

What's up all? First post, so go easy on me! I just bought a 94. It only has 68,500 miles on it, so that is encouraging. I did not, however, notice before buying that the car has had nitrous. I'm not overly concerned, but what are some things I should look for? I've looked over the engine bay pretty thoroughly and found no leaks. There is a very slow drip coming from the drain plug (oil). I checked with my hand for any play in the plug, but it seemed tight?! Should I be worried, or does this sound like an easy fix? Thanks in advance.

Chuck

Assuming the drain plug is not stripped just a replacement of the special crush washer should take care of it but that should have been changed with each oil change if the car was properly maintained. As for the NOS it’s anyone’s guess on what kind of system it is and how well it’s installed. Tell us how you bought a $30,000 car and did not even take the time to open the trunk and front hood. :eek:

There was no evidence in the truck, (must have changed the carpet?!) and nothing noticable in the engine bay. I'm not a mechanic either, that's where I made my mistake! But I discovered this by moving a (what now appears to be homemade) neoprene insert in the center console where the switch was mounted.

I already feel dumb enough as it is, I am looking for pointers. The oil drip was not evident at purchase, and is only quarter-sized drip on ground after several days of sitting.

I did call the dealership prior to purchase, so that was the only good move I made. The car has been maintained, and the service guy knew the previous owner. (Sort of comforting)

94BlkNSXinNC said:
There was no evidence in the truck, (must have changed the carpet?!) and nothing noticable in the engine bay. I'm not a mechanic either, that's where I made my mistake! But I discovered this by moving a (what now appears to be homemade) neoprene insert in the center console where the switch was mounted.

I already feel dumb enough as it is, I am looking for pointers. The oil drip was not evident at purchase, and is only quarter-sized drip on ground after several days of sitting.

I did call the dealership prior to purchase, so that was the only good move I made. The car has been maintained, and the service guy knew the previous owner. (Sort of comforting)

Does the switch say NOS on it or have some further indication that it was for NOS specifically? People put switches in their vehicle for things other than that. Just a thought.. Since you seem to have a connection with the previous owner, it's probably worth finding out for sure.

-Joshs

Thanks Josh. There is no switch left, only the 2 small holes in the console. I need to call the guy, but I just don't want to seem rude calling this guy I don't personally know. Anyways, thanks again man!

OH MY GOD! THE NOS blew your crush washer out on the oil pan,I have seen that before, JUST KIDDING! that has nothing to do with n20.take her in for an oil change and they will use a new crush washer or just give here a little tighten up. as for two holes,it could be any number of devices or gauges,switches installed. open up the engine bay and look at the boot between the air box and throttle body for a single hole.that is the general installation point for a nos fogger.
If you contact the guy ask him out right if he ran spray.if he indicates that he did and it really bothers you bring the car in for a leak down test on the motor.it will give a very good indication of the shape its in but will not tell you specifically if n20 was used just the health of the powerplant.
You should pull your plugs and check if n20 plugs are installed,verify heat range and check plugs for signs of detonation.if the plugs are OEM and the car is running fine and your leakdown test gives you a solid bill of health DONT WORRY. n20 is not anymore dangerous then any other forced induction such as turbo or SC. enjoy your car and stay level while checking it out.
On a closing note,you would not believe how many cars that have been heavily modded get put back to bone stock and advertised as never been tracked like thats the fda seal of approval. welcome aboard.
Best Regards David
P.S. If you find it did have n20 feel free to ask specific questions of concern in here anytime and someone will help.

David, thanks for the constructive feedback. I'm feeling a lot better now. Do you know the going rate for a leak down test? I just want to make sure the dealership doesn't take me for a "ride." I look young enough as it is, I atleast want to go in there with some knowledge! I got a good laugh out of the crush washer comment!

BTW ,you have excellent taste in NSX'S. The leakdown will vary in cost from shop to shop but a couple hundred is about right.

Last edited:
BadCarma said:
DONT WORRY. n20 is not anymore dangerous then any other forced induction such as turbo or SC.
YIKES!:biggrin:

Thanks Dave! I spoke to the NSX tech here, and he is going to save me some money by changing timing belt, water pump, serpentine belt, plugs, and a leak down test all for like 1500 to 1600. Whether that ends up being the case is still to be seen, but if so I think that is a pretty good deal. Plus, I will feel better knowing exactly what I have at that point! I love the hood and wheels. Nicely done!

Chuck

94BlkNSXinNC said:
I spoke to the NSX tech here, and he is going to save me some money by changing timing belt, water pump, serpentine belt, plugs, and a leak down test all for like 1500 to 1600.
Now that would be a steal.:wink:

What's up KGP? Thanks for reading! Yeah, he said he would be able to get it to that price due to consolidating all the labor cost. It doesn't matter to me how he does it, but if he does he is my next best friend! See ya around Prime!

KGP said:
Now that would be a steal.:wink:

that is a good deal, so when it comes back as all is well....would you like me to set you up with a 150 shot of spray?:biggrin: :biggrin:

Back