• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Owner, 1993 Red/Black (DFW)

Hello, Primers. As some of you know me, I'll save the large introductions. Today, I realized my dream in the form of a 1993, completely stock Formula Red NSX. I've wanted one for years, and have had some ups and downs with it. Today, I pulled the trigger on a car I found on eBay of all places. It was seized a month after last being seen on Prime, and has been sitting in storage since July 2013. A true garage find. Full service history up to the time of seizure, timing belt done in 2009, and other records. After all of the searching I did across America, this one found me and was located four (4) miles from my apartment.

It had 97,197 miles when I picked it up but that will increase shortly. ;)

It is the perfect compliment to my S2000, and thus my dream garage is done. Pictures to follow!

Thanks for the pic! I have no idea how to upload here from Facebook.

Mazer,

I flew into Dallas last year to pick up my '95. I highly recommend Carl at David McDavid Acura. He did 100% of the service online for the first 20 years of its life and spent a very generous amount of time with me going over the car and walking me through the records.

Through the oddest stroke of luck, I’m starting to believe that this car was waiting for me.

David McDavid has worked on this car, turns out, all the way back to the beginning. It came to DFW from Colorado with 93 miles on it, and has been serviced at David McDavid for all of it’s life. I went there to get a post purchase inspection, oil change and other necessities done and when asked for the VIN, the associate who was helping me pulled it up on his computer as dating all the way back through the 2 owners before me. At time of my purchase, the car’s mileage was 97,1xx. It’s 97,3xx now, from the weekend. But, the amazing thing is that the timing belt, water pump, gaskets and engine out service was done in 2009, at 94,xxx miles. Less than three thousand miles ago. Even had the oil changed right before being sold. So I know have a full folder of service records for the car.

After a day and a half of work on the paint, she shines like new again. Even feels new, solid, no dirt in the engine bay or interior. This was a good purchase. It took me a year to find this car, and turns out it found me.

Haha i was bidding on that car too. Saw it with pam the day before. I ended buying a black one. What are your plans on the interior

Eric

Haha; I just edged you out then, Eric. Did you get the local black one here? Pam was very nice, I took her on a ride the day I bought the car. As far as the interior, it's in very, very good shape with the exception of the odd smell coming from the trunk ara. I'll need to shampoo that heavily. But otherwise, the interior is staying very close to stock. Maybe a set of Recaros down the line, but nothing at the moment. Zanardi mats will be on order soon though.

there is a slight crack on the top of the driver seat. look closely. My car has a red diamond and black interior.... I can't post pics yet. Did you change out the rotors? they looked pretty rusted. I picked mine up in el paso

There is, yes. A bit of wear on the bolsters as well, but in good shape overall. After the few hundred miles I've put on the car this weekend, I believe that was just surface rust.

So what's the story? Cops seized it and had it in storage while the case was pending?

No, the car was a seizure from the owner due to fradulent sale. The owner posted it here in June 2013, and took delivery in July. However, for some reason, the car was seized in July 2013, and has been property of the Plano Police Department since then. The seller (auctions) took delivery of the car at 97,197 miles (I have the title) and sold it to me at 97,197 miles. It was sitting, untouched, in storage for the past two years since the last time it was seized on Prime.

Whatever monetary issues the previous owner may have had, he replaced the coolant hoses and tank while under his one month ownership. The owner before him had the 90k/timing belt service done in 2009 at 94,534 miles. All gaskets were replaced at this time as well as an oil change. OEM brake pads were installed a bit before this. So, I'm good on mileage for the timing belt but coming up on time I suppose. Thankfully, I have a service record to go off of. I really think that this car was waiting for me to come find it.

Congrats on your beautiful new NSX. Sounds like a real "barn find" almost.

Almost, yes. If the barn were the Plano Police Department's impounded car warehouse. Just got it back from the Acura dealership, clean bill of health; valve adjustment recommended. And a small oil leak by one of the cam seals. Pretty much the norm.

I'll have to look at my spec sheet, but I think it was around $1170.

Back