NEW NSX, Do you think its an Exotic or simply a SPORTS CAR?

Is the Concept an Exotic or Sports car?

• Exotic all the way...

Votes: 45 45.0%
  • Sports car.....

Votes: 38 38.0%
  • I would need to see it in person to decide...

Votes: 17 17.0%

• Total voters
Unlike some of the people posting here I have not seen the car in person so this is purely based on pictures and the video from yesterday. A lot of the allure of the NSX is the Exotic side. So I am wondering how it is in person.

The new NSX looks like a Sportscar to me and not much of an Exotic.

example... a Porsche 911 is a Sports car... the Carrera GT is an Exotic

is it more Exotic in person? at least the current body of it?

I never thought "exotic" was about the look of the thing. I always thought it was based on materials, technology, and exclusivity- as well as the look of the thing.

The 911 isn't exotic for the same reasons Corvettes aren't exotic- there are a million of them. You see them every day.

Lets nail this down to something more familiar though: Ask yourself what makes the NSX more "exotic" than an MR2? They are both mid-engine 2 seaters with racy body lines, and high revving power plants.

Is it the fact that the NSX was hand built, that it was made entirely of aluminum, and that it's production numbers were limited?

So this new NSX is made from lightweight materials. it will have a hybrid SH-AWD system not found anywhere else. You probably won't see many of them on the streets. Is it "exotic"?

IMO: Yes.

Last edited:
Agreed Vette and 911 , 370 are sportscars. Wait till we see this baby in some different colors and they start track testing around the US. Gonna be soooo HOT!

I think it is an Exotic as long as it has a mid engine powerplant layout coupled with state of the art technology.

There is not exotic about this thing in today's field and if it stay as it is it certainly won't be scaring anyone in three years from now where today's technology will be half obsolete. At best you can call it a super sports car but NO one but honda fan boys will it an exotic.

Z

:confused: when did I or anyone else in this thread exotic or sportscar say it was a deciding factor of purchase?

Missing the point, i'm talking about the whole "is it an exotic" argument, Like discussing which is better cats or dogs. oooh its not an exotic, it's not good enough, oooh it's just a sports car, not good enough for my image. Waste of time like it buy it. People do buy things based on what others think, why was Acura invented again? Got tired with the nsx, dont care if i can buy it from kmart just make it good, the labels will attach themselves if you care.
:smile:

Last edited:
H-carWizKid nailed it. Alot of people when asked if the NSX is an exotic say no, but in reality I don't think they understand the definition of the word "exotic" Is the current NSX an exotic...yes! Supercar...I don't know.

Is the new one an exotic, I don't know enough about it to answer the question.

-ex·ot·ic   /ɪgˈzɒtɪk/ Show Spelled[ig-zot-ik] Show IPA
adjective
1. of foreign origin or character; not native; introduced from abroad, but not fully naturalized or acclimatized: exotic foods; exotic plants.
2. strikingly unusual or strange in effect or appearance: an exotic hairstyle.
3. of a uniquely new or experimental nature: exotic weapons.
4. of, pertaining to, or involving stripteasing: the exotic clubs where strippers are featured.

Last edited:
I'd say it's exotic and at the minimum, exotic enough to be more than just a sportscar.

technology, looks, feel, price tag, performance all go into how people judge something to be exotic in my opinion. I think this latest rendition really got it right. Of course, it'll never satisfy everyone but that's life.

The NSX was unique and new when it came out but the new NSX will always have the original to compare to... depending on how fond your memories are of the original, you may never see the new version in the same light just based on subjective reasons alone.

Anyway, even compared to the modern supers cars of today, this new NSX is pretty exotic.

I think you guys are missing the point
You guys are brining too much technical BS and quoting Webster as to what an exotic is defined as....who freaking cares.
The real question is "does the average person/average car enthusiast believe the nsx is an exotic" and NOT whether webesters dictionary believes it is.

Z

It's a Honda, it can't be an exotic!

I think you guys are missing the point
You guys are brining too much technical BS and quoting Webster as to what an exotic is defined as....who freaking cares.
The real question is "does the average person/average car enthusiast believe the nsx is an exotic" and NOT whether webesters dictionary believes it is.

Z

This whole thread is pointless. Just vote and get it over with. Let the results of a supposed "group of car enthusiast" speak if you cannot decide for yourself. Who cares what the average Joe thinks. A group consensus among peers is fine.

If you bought your car to impress some Joe on the street, then you should have bought a Ferrari and then use your money to find professional help, because you may have serious compensation issues.

Automakers have to keep with the times....making hybrid engines is the future.

It's why Rolls Royce has a new Phantom Hybrid...the V12 may be out-lawed soon in England.

The new NSX will be sold in VERY limited numbers....NO ONE is going to buy a $120,000 acura.....

It's the same story as NSX 1.0....NO ONE bought a $80-90K Acura new.

Automakers have to keep with the times....making hybrid engines is the future.

It's why Rolls Royce has a new Phantom Hybrid...the V12 may be out-lawed soon in England.

The new NSX will be sold in VERY limited numbers....NO ONE is going to buy a $120,000 acura.....

It's the same story as NSX 1.0....NO ONE bought a $80-90K Acura new.

or a $450,000 Lexus

You sound upset
Did It help Getting your frustration out on me?

Ps. It's a public forum and everyone is entitled to to their opinion just as I was to mine...directly attacking someone is childish and unprofessional

Z

This whole thread is pointless. Just vote and get it over with. Let the results of a supposed "group of car enthusiast" speak if you cannot decide for yourself. Who cares what the average Joe thinks. A group consensus among peers is fine.

If you bought your car to impress some Joe on the street, then you should have bought a Ferrari and then use your money to find professional help, because you may have serious compensation issues.

There's a big difference in exotic-looking or a car being a true exotic.

Carbon tub, with aluminum body panels each formed by hand = exotic

Steel backbone, steel or AL body panels stamped by machine (regardless of looks or shape of car) = non-exotic

e.g. '91 Diablo was exotic, '91 NSX was not

There's a big difference in exotic-looking or a car being a true exotic.

Carbon tub, with aluminum body panels each formed by hand = exotic

Steel backbone, steel or AL body panels stamped by machine (regardless of looks or shape of car) = non-exotic

e.g. '91 Diablo was exotic, '91 NSX was not

I'm not sure how you can say the first aluminum monocoque production car, the first featuring variable valve timing and electronic lift control, with an aluminum engine using titanium rods and revved to 8000 in a mid rear layout, with overall design input by Rahal and Senna (with Senna arguably being the best F1 driver ever), that was pretty much put together by hand, and won it's class (GT2) in the 24 Hours of Le Mans while placing 8th overall, not an exotic. No Diablo comes close to that pedigree.

Didn't the Japanese market Integra of the late 80s use VTEC first? Aluminum blocks were used by lots of carmakers around the world way before the 1990 debut; nevermind that the block was just a run-of-the-mill Legend part, and not bespoke. And, what's so great about "hand-assembled"? It was simply more cost effective than buying millions of dollars of robots and other equipment when production ranged from 5000 or so in the first model year, to less than a thousand a year for its last decade.

RX8s and 350Zs had carbon fiber driveshafts - pretty cool application any of us would say, especially for a car MSRP'd less than $30K; it doesn't make them exotic. It has to be the chassis and/or the panels that ultimately determines yea or nay, IMO.

2961175776_b341ca0fc5.jpg

Didn't the Japanese market Integra of the late 80s use VTEC first? Aluminum blocks were used by lots of carmakers around the world way before the 1990 debut; nevermind that the block was just a run-of-the-mill Legend part, and not bespoke. And, what's so great about "hand-assembled"? It was simply more cost effective than buying millions of dollars of robots and other equipment when production ranged from 5000 or so in the first model year, to less than a thousand a year for its last decade.

RX8s and 350Zs had carbon fiber driveshafts - pretty cool application any of us would say, especially for a car MSRP'd less than $30K; it doesn't make them exotic. It has to be the chassis and/or the panels that ultimately determines yea or nay, IMO.

I'm happy RX8s and 350Zs received the benefit from past high end engineering. But the NSX achieved this over 20 years ago. No car manufacturers were doing what Honda did back then. If Honda was the first to make an all aluminum moncoque car, how can you say it is not an exotic material? How many cars had an aluminum suspension? Of course there were aluminum engines before the NSX, but how many cars had them? How many cars were using titanium rods in their engines? Sure the Integra had VTEC first, in the Japanese market. Still, no one was using similar tech in production cars yet. How many cars were mid engined? As for "hand assembled", is the time and effort involved in its creation that was important. Further, it just wasn't any one particular aspect, the NSX is a combination of them all. This is high end race car stuff that Honda put into a production car.

Don't be confused by the fact that these aspects are commonplace now. They weren't in 1990. If something is new, different, and rarely seen from the rest of their peers, what is that called? Exotic.

hmm for me exotic sports car = > half a million price <1000 produced examples

supersports car = strong mid/rear engine + RWD(or something like SHAWD for that matter)

strong engine in front + RWD = GT car (Aston Martins Ferrari 456 GT etc.)

Back