New market research poll

What kind of NSX are you looking for?

• Fixed headlights - gotta have the newest look.

Votes: 43 28.9%
  • Popups! Nothing but the original design for me.

Votes: 70 47.0%
  • Don't care as long as it fits my budget.

Votes: 22 14.8%
  • Don't care as long as it's an NA2.

Votes: 14 9.4%

• Total voters
I'm curious about current marketplace preferences. Prospective buyers, please chime in with your vote!

Edit: I can't seem to be able to edit the poll to make any spelling corrections. Oh well, please ignore the missing space.

Last edited:
Voted for fixed headlights lol , love the look , but I'll consider another nsx soon if it's in my budget the pop lights are also growing on me for daily driver use but I prefer fixed :biggrin:

Last edited:
If I get one it will probably be the fixed headlight one as I don't find anything special about the older ones plus nor the targa or fixed headlights really attract me. The other thing is the price difference between them so I would definitely prefer one of the early NSXs

When they first came out, I didn't care for the fixed headlights or new taillights for that matter. But years later, they are my first choice. It's a more modern look AND I don't have to fool around with HID kits for once. Fixed headlights isn't make or break though but I also like the slightly updated interior too with the '02-'05.

I'd buy a '97+ with the '02 conversion, but then I'm getting a little off topic here. :redface:

I have to say that I am partial to the 91-01. Something about the classic look. It always takes me back to when I first saw the car back in 91. ahh, love at first sight!

For some reason I feel like the fixed headlights appears as an afterthought and looks out of place with the overall body style.

For some reason I feel like the fixed headlights appears as an afterthought and looks out of place with the overall body style.

I felt that way at first too, its like only the silver looks right but the other colors with that front fascia is a little off. But the Downforce front bumper and or aftermarket front lips completely change the look.

My first choice would have been a 2002+ coupe. But since they are almost impossible to find.

My criteria was 91-94 and do the conversion my self.

I wanted a coupe and the 02+ look

Working ont he conversion right now

It just depends. If I can find a Monte Carlo Blue I'll buy it. If it's Grand Prix White on Black/Onyx any NA2 will be fine. Any other color I'd probably be looking for 02+

Am I the only one that thinks the 2002+ NSXs are kind of a sell-out by themselves? Don't crucify me for saying it - hear me out...

In my mind, Hondas/Acuras have always been quirky. For instance, if you wanted an automatic in an S2000, Honda said "nope, it would ruin the car, go buy something else". Same goes for the Si versions of the Civic, Integra, etc. They could have folded to market demand and made automatic versions of everything like most car makers (think 350z in automatic, etc) but they didn't.

And in the NSX, they de-tuned the engine, holding onto their reputation of making the best version of almost every car they make manual only.

Now, the 2002+ NSXs are kind of the same thing. The original certainly was fast when it came out, and it had a crazy long geared 5-speed, 8 grand redline - definitely quirky. But, to stay competitive and stay with the market, in 97 they changed it to the 3.2 liter, went to a 6-speed and added 20 horsepower in some attempt to stay competitive. They added in that electronic throttle, the electric power steering was standard by then... it just seems like they tried to make the car more modern, and it lost some of the original charm. Then in 2002, it got worse when they removed the pop-up headlights for some reduction in drag that is probably not noticeable at speeds we all actually drive at, and it lost the presence somehow.

Everyone knows you can buy an automatic Corvette and drive much faster than the NSX, and at the time it was 60 percent of the cost - kind of a no-brainer for just about everyone out there - and that is my point. We all love the spirit of the NSX, and slowly it seems Honda tried to take out that spirit to gain sales, and it never really worked.

When you see someone drive an NSX today, you think "that guy knows what he's doing, he could have bought what the mass market wants, a Corvette, and go much faster from 0-100, but he didn't he bought a car with true soul, true passion, and a car that has a quirky attraction that only real car fans understand and appreciate."

I like cars that are hard to understand to most people, which is why they never sell well, which is why they become collectibles later on. The 2002+ seemed like an attempt to get more people to understand the NSX, and I disagree with that :smile:

Like I said, I hope this doesn't start some firestorm - I just prefer the NA1 models :smile:

Last edited:
Am I the only one that thinks the 2002+ NSXs are kind of a sell-out by themselves? Don't crucify me for saying it - hear me out...

In my mind, Hondas/Acuras have always been quirky. For instance, if you wanted an automatic in an S2000, Honda said "nope, it would ruin the car, go buy something else". Same goes for the Si versions of the Civic, Integra, etc. They could have folded to market demand and made automatic versions of everything like most car makers (think 350z in automatic, etc) but they didn't.

And in the NSX, they de-tuned the engine, holding onto their reputation of making the best version of almost every car they make manual only.

Now, the 2002+ NSXs are kind of the same thing. The original certainly was fast when it came out, and it had a crazy long geared 5-speed, 8 grand redline - definitely quirky. But, to stay competitive and stay with the market, in 97 they changed it to the 3.2 liter, went to a 6-speed and added 20 horsepower in some attempt to stay competitive. They added in that electronic throttle, the electric power steering was standard by then... it just seems like they tried to make the car more modern, and it lost some of the original charm. Then in 2002, it got worse when they removed the pop-up headlights for some reduction in drag that is probably not noticeable at speeds we all actually drive at, and it lost the presence somehow.

Everyone knows you can buy an automatic Corvette and drive much faster than the NSX, and at the time it was 60 percent of the cost - kind of a no-brainer for just about everyone out there - and that is my point. We all love the spirit of the NSX, and slowly it seems Honda tried to take out that spirit to gain sales, and it never really worked.

When you see someone drive an NSX today, you think "that guy knows what he's doing, he could have bought what the mass market wants, a Corvette, and go much faster from 0-100, but he didn't he bought a car with true soul, true passion, and a car that has a quirky attraction that only real car fans understand and appreciate."

I like cars that are hard to understand to most people, which is why they never sell well, which is why they become collectibles later on. The 2002+ seemed like an attempt to get more people to understand the NSX, and I disagree with that :smile:

Like I said, I hope this doesn't start some firestorm - I just prefer the NA1 models :smile:

Btw... Na1 is referring to the 3.0 models. Na2 is all the 3.2 models. Including 97-01 :)

Also, I've had both a 91 and now a 97 and I can tell you in no way has it lost its charm. In fact it's better in every way id say... I don't think a manual rack would do well in the late 90s-mid 2000s. Plus. Like it has been mentioned before. The EPS cuts out at over 25 mph. Not really a big deal.

Last edited:
Just gotta say one thing to that. Na1 is referring to the 3.0 models. Na2 is all the 3.2 models. Including 97-01 :)

Yes, I prefer the NA 1 cars, going from 3 to 3.2 is some desperate attempt for 20 horsepower didn't make sense to me. The trans change made more sense, but not the cylinder liner change. In my post you can tell I said that it all started to come apart for me in 97, and in 2002 it got worse.

Anyway, I really like them all. I am glad that the new car will have a V6, and the hybrid powertrain is the way to go from a traction and efficiency point of view. We'll see how it works out.

Last edited:
Yes, I prefer the NA 1 cars, going from 3 to 3.2 is some desperate attempt for 20 horsepower didn't make sense to me. The trans change made more sense, but not the cylinder liner change. In my post you can tell I said that it all started to come apart for me in 97, and in 2002 it got worse.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I beg to differ. 97 to 01 was everything the 91-96 was and more. IMHO and many will agree. They are the perfection years as far as NSX go. All the updated goodies and the classic look still that IS the NSX. Which year do you have? Have you spent a lot of wheel time behind an na2?

You're entitled to your opinion, but I beg to differ. 97 to 01 was everything the 91-96 was and more. IMHO and many will agree. They are the perfection years as far as NSX go. All the updated goodies and the classic look still that IS the NSX. Which year do you have? Have you spent a lot of wheel time behind an na2?

My buddy had an NA2 and I liked it, but yes I do have a 91 NA1 car, and I just like it more. I enjoy the manual steering, the cable throttle, the pure mechanical feel of it really. I enjoy the early nineties feel of it, like a blast of the past. I will admit that I like the targa top, wish I would have found myself one of those.

But what I'm really hearing is that people agree that the pop-up headlight cars, NA2 specifically, are by and large thought to be perfection in the NSX world? No 2002+?

Last edited:
My buddy had an NA2 and I liked it, but yes I do have a 91 NA1 car, and I just like it more. I enjoy the manual steering, the cable throttle, the pure mechanical feel of it really. I enjoy the early nineties feel of it, like a blast of the past. I will admit that I like the targa top, wish I would have found myself one of those.

But what I'm really hearing is that people agree that the pop-up headlight cars, NA2 specifically, are by and large thought to be perfection in the NSX world? No 2002+?

Of course 02+ are wanted by many. Many even do 02+ conversions. But there is a pretty strong following of 97-01 cars. In fact I think a clean low mile 97-01 is harder to find than a 02+ at the moment.

My buddy had an NA2 and I liked it, but yes I do have a 91 NA1 car, and I just like it more. I enjoy the manual steering, the cable throttle, the pure mechanical feel of it really. ?

I agree with this. We all love and want more HP and torque, but I feel getting that on an NA1 via the aftermarket parts available are enough to fill the HP needs if one were to stay N/A. After driving an 02 NSX, I know for a fact that I prefer the manual steering feel in my 92. I could definitely live with the electric power steering rack though. Either way, I could live and love any NSX.

When I think about it, my prefect NSX would be a Monte Carlo Blue 99 NSX Coupe with an 02+ exterior upgrade. That way I can put the pop up light back on if I wanted to and I'd have the best of both worlds.

Call me old. Never liked the fixed lights or the price change when they first came out. Seemed like a bad deal for a "restyle" back then. Still does now :-(

97-01 baby:smile:

Back