New here.. found a local 91 nsx at acura dealership

91 X said:
what ever.....A "bargain" to you, may not be such a "bargain" to me...I just got off the phone with Dashers Insurance(who advertise as lowest rate type ad's) to get a quote. I told him I had two tickets, no accidents, married, only driver and he couldn't even find me a carrier:eek: So I said ok, change to only one ticket and he only found two carriers.The best one was $440 down and $263 a month...That's a bargain???
He even suggested I call another company like AAA and said the NSX comes up at a 26 on a scale of 1-20 that they generally use to rate cars...BTW, the Integra GSR was a 15...Maybe in your neck of the woods an NSX is a bargain to insure, but not here in Cali...

If you want, call Chris at 1-800-767-3274 and ask him yourself how much of a bargin the NSX is to insure...Or call any national auto insurance co. and ask them if you want...

BTW, I know you know alot more about NSX's then me or most of us on here, but to me it is laughable to say the NSX is a bargain to insure, unless you are comparing it to Ferrari, Lambo or other high price exotics...

Ditto that

good...keep a clean record and stay away from So Cal I guess, and you should be alright...:D

91 X said:
grumbling.gif
Apparently you think it's fair to characterize NSX insurance rates by comparing them only against Taurus insurance rates, instead of against other sports cars. :rolleyes: I don't.

Apparently you think it's fair to quote insurance rates only for someone with a terrible driving record, with oodles of tickets, instead of for a driver with a clean record. :rolleyes: I don't.

Let's do a fair comparison, using similar cars and a more typical driver. Let's take a 40 year old married driver living in ZIP code 92054 (your town - yes, YOUR "neck of the woods"), with a clean driving record. Use Insweb to get quotes for different vehicles - use sports cars (not family sedans) of the same model year, with quotes from the same insurance company (e.g. Unitrin Direct), and the same coverages ($500 deductibles, $300K/$100K coverage). Here is what you'll get:

1998 NSX-T six-speed $1109.50/6 months
1998 Viper GTS $1026.00/6 months
1998 Porsche 911 Targa $1167.50
1998 Ford Mustang Cobra SVT Convertible $1064.50/6 months
1998 Acura Integra Type R $944.50/6 months

As you can see, the NSX is within $200/year of all of them except the Integra (and even the Integra rate differs by less than 15 percent, for a car that's only worth ~$14K - hardly a fair comparison).

THAT is how you can make a fair comparison. And as you can see, for MOST drivers - ones who don't have terrible driving records - the NSX will cost about the same to insure as similar sports cars, such as a Porsche 911 or a Viper, or even less expensive cars like a Mustang. All of which proves that your wild claim that "The NSX is one of the most expensive cars to insure" is absolutely NOT true.

Maybe California insurance rates cost more than elsewhere - that's quite possible - but it affects all cars, not just the NSX. (In which case, you can always move elsewhere...)

Last edited:
We were talking about a 1991, not a 1998...maybe you missed the threads title, maybe I should have said "A 1991 NSX" my bad..but I thought thats what the thread title was about...a 1991...And I'm talking about TWO tickets, NOT oodles...

91 X said:
We were talking about a 1991, not a 1998...maybe you missed the threads title, maybe I should have said "A 1991 NSX" my bad..but I thought thats what the thread title was about...a 1991...
...and just like the 1998, a 1991 NSX still isn't significantly more to insure than other, similar sports cars:

1991 NSX five-speed $827.00/6 months
1991 Porsche 911 Carrera 2 Coupe $834.00/6 months
1991 Ford Mustang Cobra GT $684.50/6 months

You are missing the point. You said that the NSX is one of the most expensive cars to insure. YOU WERE WRONG. The fact is, as shown here, it's about the same to insure as other sports cars in the same price range, and it's not much more (less than 15 percent difference) than a car that's worth only about a third of what the NSX is worth.

The NSX is not more expensive to insure than most other sports cars. Proven, and case closed. You're just paying a lot in insurance because you have two tickets on your driving record (two tickets is two more than most drivers have).

My '90 Toyota 4x4 and my '91 NSX are within $7/month of each other for insurance, same coverages. They are $52 and $59 per month, respectively (Northern California).

An NSX is pleasantly inexpensive to insure, from my experience.

sjones said:
Unbelievable!!
I also managed to write down the name/number of the original owner. I was thinking about calling but I don't know if thats a bad idea, he might get upset about potential owners bugging him like that. What do you guys think?

I wouldn't mind at all if someone called me about a car I used to own. I would enjoy telling them about it. This happned to me. I traded in a 1988 RX7 that was PERFECT on a new car. The salesman was a "friend" of mine. When I traded the car I also gave them my log book of the origional window sticker, sales brochure and all maintenance records.

The new owner called me when he found my business card under the carpet. He told me about a small dent in the driver's door that he didn't remember seeing when he test drove the car, but was there when he picked it up. The salesman told him it was always there. I assured him it was NOT there when I traded the car, and probably not there when he test drove it. I also asked him if he reviewed the log book. He never got it. I found out my salesman "friend" backed into the door with a Tauris after the man test drove the car, and they threw the logbook away. He went back to complain and they fixed the door. The salesman called me and was angry that I told the truth. He's not a friend anymore..... and as it turned out, never really was.

Anyway... don't hesitate to call the owner if you can. Alot of people love to talk about their cars. I'm sure many people feel as I do.

I wouldn't mind being called, either.

And if the previous owner DOES mind, presumably he'll just tell you that he'd rather not talk about it - no major harm done...

I did call the original owner, he was very cool about it. He told me the full history on the car, told me about all the maintenance that had been performed which I already saw in the dealer records. Very cool guy!

You will notice we all love to talk/argue about our cars - even our former cars.

On Insurance, I found the NSX to be less than similar cars and not nearly as much as I thought. I was talking to my agent about the cost of NSX, Corvette, M3... they were all very very close. When I said it was much lower than I expected, she said it's because I am an "older" driver - 42!

when i was car shopping the corvette, nsx, & 350z were all very inexpensive (under $400 per 6 months) with insurance. the '03/'04 cobra was almost double. When I owned my old 96 cobra hardtop, the insurance was around $1000 per year.

Last edited:
nsxtasy said:
...and just like the 1998, a 1991 NSX still isn't significantly more to insure than other, similar sports cars:

1991 NSX five-speed $827.00/6 months
1991 Porsche 911 Carrera 2 Coupe $834.00/6 months
1991 Ford Mustang Cobra GT $684.50/6 months

You are missing the point. You said that the NSX is one of the most expensive cars to insure. YOU WERE WRONG. The fact is, as shown here, it's about the same to insure as other sports cars in the same price range, and it's not much more (less than 15 percent difference) than a car that's worth only about a third of what the NSX is worth.

The NSX is not more expensive to insure than most other sports cars. Proven, and case closed. You're just paying a lot in insurance because you have two tickets on your driving record (two tickets is two more than most drivers have).

Thanks for proving my point with your comparisons...

all I said is "if you have a few tickets and live in So Cal" then "the NSX is ONE OF the most expensive CARS to insure"

NOT *the* most expensive or one of the most expensive *sports cars* to insure...

sure having two tickets does change things, but the FACT is it is "ONE of the most expensive CARS to insure" case closed...ask ANY insurance agent and they will agree...

Do yourself a favor and read what I wrote carefully before you start taking things out of context and boldly saying"YOU WERE WRONG"

You might actually admit that you were wrong..:D

Most "CARS" are rated on a scale of 1-20 insurance rating(the higher the number, the more expensive) my '91 NSX is a 26...No matter what your record or age or where you live....That should tell you something...

All I was doing was giving sjones a heads up on insurance prices for Gods sake.:D

sjones said:
you guys are killing my joy here :D

admire the beauty of this baby!

sorry bout that sjones:p ...I had to defend myself and my statement...as you could see:D

Your car is beautiful!!! Love that color combo:p :D :cool:

I'm sure you are enjoying it...

Any luck on the rims???

91 X said:
sorry bout that sjones:p ...I had to defend myself and my statement...as you could see:D

Your car is beautiful!!! Love that color combo:p :D :cool:

I'm sure you are enjoying it...

Any luck on the rims???

No problem 91X.. I think i've found a set of wheels from a seller on nsxprime. As far as the car, the dealer has PROMISED me that everything is a go for today, they were waiting on a couple of parts before me taking delivery. Everything came in yesterday and I should be all set today to pick her up. This has been a LOOOONG week waiting!! On a good note, this dealership really seems to be detailed and customer service oriented. Definitely a big change from the Ford service I dealt with when I owned my cobra. I mean these guys changed out the taillights due to some condensation, with Ford my cobra could have been spewing oil and smoking and i would have heard their famous words " Can't duplicate Issue, No trouble found"

GREAT!!!

I bet you could hardly sleep last night:eek: :p

I have had mine for almost a year now and the joy of seeing it parked in the garage, let alone driving it still has not worn off:D

Today is a good day for you to say the least...have fun!!!!

can't wait to see some pics:cool:

Back