New here.. found a local 91 nsx at acura dealership

hello all... I am new here and just started reading thru some of the threads. I found a black 91 nsx with 77K miles on it at my local acura dealership. its in excellent shape. today i went to test drive it and
check out its service history. I was okay until going thru the service records. the previous owner appeared to have kept the car in meticulous shape and brought the car into the dealer for any and all service problems. Some of the prices of the service that was performed on the car is what has got me nervous about buying it. I didnt get copies of all the service that was performed but there were several expensive writeups in the folder. The most expensive one I saw was for 5800 which was the 60K timing belt, water pump, other belts, etc.... There was one for 2900 to replace the factory stereo because it would just shut off or something like that. There were several other $1000+ records for other maintenance. My salesguy told me that they do not offer any service warranty with the car because of its age. Aside from that, the car itself drove fine. It cornered great, the interior and exterior are in great shape.
The only thing I noticed was some wind noise at 60+mph speeds.
Anyways, I told my sales guy I would think it over and give him a call.
Price is $28,999 and he says there is no negotiating on that price.

sjones,

Have the car checked out at an INDEPENTENT shop with no financial interest in the sale. The price sounds about OK IF it truly is in good shape w/77K miles(any warranty??).

The maintainence prices are ridiculous. 2-3 times typical prices. Find a more reasonable priced COMPETENT place to have it serviced. When was the timing belt actually done?

HTH,
LarryB

Take Larry's advice, have a competent shop with no interest look at it.
Larry Bastanza said:

The maintainence prices are ridiculous. 2-3 times typical prices. Find a more reasonable priced COMPETENT place to have it serviced.
Wondering if maybe the timing belt broke, and repairs are not just a belt (+H2O pump) replacement? Maybe valve train and/or head repairs also? Did you see the details of that service record?

The service department of your dealer (assuming you are referring to Leith Acura's location in Cary) has a very good reputation for NSX service. I suggest you discuss the records and prices with their service manager and ask him directly about the prices you are seeing.

My guess is that these prices were not typical scheduled maintenance services, but involved a lot more work, for some other reason. For example, a timing belt replacement (recommended for every 90K miles or 6 years, whichever comes first) generally costs $1200-1400, and a 60K service generally costs $1000 or so. I cannot imagine that they charged $5800 for these two items. But they should be able to give you their usual prices for these two items, and explain why the current owner paid so much more than usual.

You can find typical prices for scheduled maintenance services in the NSX FAQ (answers to Frequently Asked Questions) by clicking on the word FAQ in the red bar at the top of your screen, then on Maintenance, then on Costs.

I am not saying that NSX service is inexpensive; it is higher than for many other cars, but nowhere near as high as the prices you quote.

The wind noise at higher speeds can be eliminated by adjusting the window glass. You (or your mechanic) can find the procedure in the service manual, in the section on Body - Doors - Glass Adjustment.

yes, its the leith acura place in cary. there is no warranty on the car and they will not offer a warranty thru the dealership.
The timing belt, water pump, etc.. was done at 66K miles.

Thanks everyone for the responses but after reading thru some of the forums and repair costs of these cars, I am going to let this one pass. I think if it came with some sort of warranty, I would definitely go for it but without one, I would be taking too much of a chance for some serious out of pocket expense. Let me say that the car itself is very sweet and I was very impressed with its response and handling and the amazing 13+ year old design.

I'm afraid you will have a difficult time finding a 14 year old car with a warranty unless you specifically purchase it separately -- there are companies that will do this, though I don't have any details on which ones.

The price sounds fair. It is probably only slightly above what the car would change hands for in a private sale and we all know dealers have to make some profit -- that's only fair. So how can you realistically ask the dealership to take on the risk of an expensive repair when they're selling the car for a reasonable price? Would you personally provide a warranty on this kind of car when you eventually sell it to another buyer? Neither would I.

Now there may be dealerships which may give you some sort of a very limited warranty, perhaps 30 days. But beyond that, let's be fair, it IS a 14-year-old 80K mile car and hey, something might break. My suggestion: get it checked out as thoroughly as possible to assure yourself it is trouble-free when you drive it off the lot, be sure to have some money set aside in case something does break, then buy it and enjoy it!

Unbelievable!!
I stayed up all night thinking about this car.
Anyways, I went back out there today to check it out again.
The transmission # ends in 2433 so its okay as far as the snap-ring failure.
The g/f told me to go for it. I double checked the service records and the
5800 dollar service repair was for the big 60K maintenance, timing belt, water pump, valve adjustments, clutch replacement, and several other items that were done. So its all up to date on its maintenance.
I also managed to write down the name/number of the original owner. I was thinking about calling but I don't know if thats a bad idea, he might get upset about potential owners bugging him like that. What do you guys think?

On a good note, insurance is damn cheap on this car. My insurance is only going up a couple of hundred bucks per 6 months.

I don't quite understand your fears of work that has already been done and payed for by someone else!:confused: To me this car sounds reasonable,and as others have said if you want to do your due dilligence,get an independant inspection for ~100$ and buy your dream car,if it is as represented.Then be prepared to pull your hair out each wk trying to keep a black car looking shiney!:D

but Black with Yellow

docjohn said:
I don't quite understand your fears of work that has already been done and payed for by someone else!:confused: To me this car sounds reasonable,and as others have said if you want to do your due dilligence,get an independant inspection for ~100$ and buy your dream car,if it is as represented.Then be prepared to pull your hair out each wk trying to keep a black car looking shiney!:D

Now that's another story completely!!! Unique as well.

Sounds like a good deal. You should call the original owner if you want, the worst he can do is hang up. As long as you have service records, and the car checks out, go for it.

well i went ahead and did it. they agreed to remove the aftermarket cellphone, replace the taillights due to condensation that was built up, replace the struts for the rear decklid, replace the valve cover gasket.

Great! Have fun and try to Make it to some nsxca club events or hook up with local owners.Don't forget to join the nsxca!And remember our yearly national meet xpo which is at Watkins Glen NY this year.

Insurance is cheap if you don't have any tickets and don't live in So Cal, I guess...but if you have a few tickets and live in a populated area then insurance is:eek:

The NSX is one of the most expensive cars to insure...I guess the all aluminum, hand built, low production numbers, fast go kart type cars usually are though...

sounds like you got a good deal on your dream car though....

Have fun!!!

not to get off topic but the nsx is not overly expensive to insure,this topic has been discussed many times,there are many other factors that drive up car ins.

A '91 NSX has 26 rating in the insurance rating book, while the average rating on a new car is 17(according to my insurance company)
The higher the number the more expensive it is to insure...

Maybe those of you who are fortunate enough to have a perfect record, but unfortunate enough not to live in So Cal:D , then it isn't that bad...But I pay $208 a month on a '91 and have never had an accident or filed a claim:eek: , but too many tickets and it dosen't matter....

I don't know about you, but $208 a month on a '91 is not cheap to me...

I don't know the actual numbers/ratings but the cost to fix body damage on these cars is extremly high. Not much difference then a high maintanence girlfriend, worth the ride. :)

The NSX is not expensive to insure, compared with other cars. Mine is less expensive to insure than our Integra GS-R.

If you live in an expensive insurance area, and/or if you have a bad driving record, you will pay more for insurance - for ANY car, not just the NSX.

Compare the NSX to other sports cars and it won't be any higher. Even compared with non sports cars, it's not bad at all. It may be higher than insuring a Ford Taurus though.

nsxtasy said:
The NSX is not expensive to insure, compared with other cars. Mine is less expensive to insure than our Integra GS-R.

If you live in an expensive insurance area, and/or if you have a bad driving record, you will pay more for insurance - for ANY car, not just the NSX.

Compare the NSX to other sports cars and it won't be any higher. Even compared with non sports cars, it's not bad at all. It may be higher than insuring a Ford Taurus though.

explain that one....Your Integra is more then your NSX???

I had a 95 Integra before and it was less then half what I pay for the NSX...same record(bad:( )

A bad record of tickets isn't good for any insurance, I should know...My other two cars('99 528i and '00 4Runner LTD) are under my wifes insurance (who has a perfect record) and they are less then my '91 NSX combined....
Maybe I should have said "A 91-93 is one of the most expensive 10+ year old cars to insure"

91 X said:
explain that one....Your Integra is more then your NSX???
That's correct.

I don't set the rates, I just pay them.

91 X said:
A bad record of tickets isn't good for any insurance, I should know...My other two cars('99 528i and '00 4Runner LTD) are under my wifes insurance (who has a perfect record) and they are less then my '91 NSX combined....
...which explains why your NSX insurance is so expensive. Give the car to your wife and let her insure it.

nsxtasy said:
That's correct.

I don't set the rates, I just pay them..>>>>

I guess I wouldn't argue about that either, but I'm still wondering how a car which is 1/4 to 1/2 the value of the other is more expensive to insure..especially, since the Integra isn't even considered a "sports car" by insurance co's..

...which explains why your NSX insurance is so expensive. Give the car to your wife and let her insure it.

I would, but I'm already running a risk everytime I drive the other two cars(I'm excluded:rolleyes: )...I just have to wait til June 04 and my record will be clean, barring anymore tickets...I had a bad year in '01(three tickets in three months:eek: :mad: :confused: )
Then my insursance will be about $100 per month, rather then $208...Can't wait!!!

But back to the arguement...The NSX(91-94) isn't cheap to insure compared to other 10 year old used cars...Ask your insurance agent, about the rating....

91 X said:
The NSX(91-94) isn't cheap to insure compared to other 10 year old used cars...
Yes, it is. I have an NSX and a 10-year-old used car, and insuring the NSX is a bargain. End of discussion.

nsxtasy said:
Yes, it is. I have an NSX and a 10-year-old used car, and insuring the NSX is a bargain. End of discussion.

what ever.....A "bargain" to you, may not be such a "bargain" to me...I just got off the phone with Dashers Insurance(who advertise as lowest rate type ad's) to get a quote. I told him I had two tickets, no accidents, married, only driver and he couldn't even find me a carrier:eek: So I said ok, change to only one ticket and he only found two carriers.The best one was $440 down and $263 a month...That's a bargain???
He even suggested I call another company like AAA and said the NSX comes up at a 26 on a scale of 1-20 that they generally use to rate cars...BTW, the Integra GSR was a 15...Maybe in your neck of the woods an NSX is a bargain to insure, but not here in Cali...

If you want, call Chris at 1-800-767-3274 and ask him yourself how much of a bargin the NSX is to insure...Or call any national auto insurance co. and ask them if you want...

BTW, I know you know alot more about NSX's then me or most of us on here, but to me it is laughable to say the NSX is a bargain to insure, unless you are comparing it to Ferrari, Lambo or other high price exotics...

Back