New Edmunds Article

Don't want to rain on your parade... BUT:biggrin:

GTR is 3800 lbs. The new Spec V is rumor to be 350lbs lighter, which make it 3450lbs. That car has some of the heaviest parts you can use on a car:rolleyes:

I replaced the exhaust system on my NSX, it shed about 30 lbs, Type R seats, 30 lbs each side. That's already about 100 lbs.
The new Honda will be again aluminum frame, plus more likely CF and other exotic parts. The newer Honda engines are 20 to 30% lighter than the old, so this V10 will probably weight similar to the NSX V6, if not, just slightly more.

On paper, the preliminary rumor... This car is "only" 250 lbs heavier than the regular NSX, and 500 or so lbs heavier than NSX-R.

You guys have absolutely no faith with a company that is KNOWN to built light weight cars.

Honda is NOT MB or BMW, they DON'T stick big engines into their cars because they over build the chassis, they put big engines into cars because they want to make it go fast.

IRT to the stock seats. The stock seats weigh 35 lbs each, total. I've weighed them many times. A Recaro PP CF (comparable to the Type R in weight) comes in around 10 lbs, and even if you got fixed rails, that 5 lbs each. You probably have fixed rails so that at least 10 - 15 lbs. Even the Type R + electronic/sliding rails, I can't see being anything less than 20.. maybe 15 lbs total so there's no way you're getting 30 lbs loss each unless you plan on sitting on the floor and using a pillow...

ROFLMAO N-Spec you are the Man! I love it "New pig category" LOL that is too funny!

I call my NSX a pig because it feels so much heaver than my S2K. I've gotten about 150 lbs off of it but still feels heavy in comparison. I'm not a big car guy . The ASCC when I saw it in person didn't seem too big so if this new car is of similar dimensions shouldn't be too bad. Still big of course but not to bad.

I also think the pricing will kill this car as status is what status is. First year will be sticker plus but second year I hope to get one at invoice. That's one of the greatest things about Hondas to me as I've never paid sticker for one. I hear people complaining about their price tags but those seem to be people who just look online. Inside the dealership is a different story.

Here's hoping people continue to diss this car and keep demand low:biggrin:

Yea, it's a new era and all the car are pig these days. You have to pay top dollar if you want something brand new with a profile like the current NSX or something similar.

I'm there with ya, if the new GT ends up being easy on the eyes and the scale, then I could see myself purchasing used one for half of the msrp down the line. Invoice is great, but a used one with a few more miles for a lot cheaper is even better.

IRT to the stock seats. The stock seats weigh 35 lbs each, total. I've weighed them many times. A Recaro PP CF (comparable to the Type R in weight) comes in around 10 lbs, and even if you got fixed rails, that 5 lbs each. You probably have fixed rails so that at least 10 - 15 lbs. Even the Type R + electronic/sliding rails, I can't see being anything less than 20.. maybe 15 lbs total so there's no way you're getting 30 lbs loss each unless you plan on sitting on the floor and using a pillow...

NSX R seats weights 8 lbs. Each. You're in Seattle, you should call Dan Nguyen up since he just got a pair of it last week. Go see what they're about.:wink:

Daliracing had a "diet" chart, and if I remember correctly, the stock seats are more than 35 lbs including seat rails.

Last edited:

LOL Using a pillow you guys are on point today!

Yea, it's a new era and all the car are pig these days. You have to pay top dollar if you want something brand new with a profile like the current NSX or something similar.

I'm there with ya, if the new GT ends up being easy on the eyes and the scale, then I could see myself purchasing used one for half of the msrp down the line. Invoice is great, but a used one with a few more miles for a lot cheaper is even better.

Yeah but isn't the profile problem because of new pedestrian accident requirements ( i.e has to cushion them on impact or some crap like that)?

Eh I gotta go with invoice as if someone tracks their car as much as I do I don't wanna be pickin up that baby used:biggrin:

NSX R seats weights 8 lbs. Each. You're in Seattle, you should call Dan Nguyen up since he just got a pari of it last week. Go see what they're about.:wink:

Daliracing had a "diet" chart, and if I remember correctly, the stock seats are more than 35 lbs including seat rails.

8lbs! Dang!

How about same year same angle same color on the NSX and Civic CRX
The Family resemblance is there on one of their cheaper cars so apparently they always stayed close to home.

Yes I see your point..... :tongue:

P.S. the white car in my 1st photo-set was a 1991 Honda Civic, I think they had 3 body styles that year? (CRX, Sedan, and Hatchback). But I think my point still stands-up regardless of which style you use.... There was a huge design gap between Halo car and Entry Level car back in 1991 (it made grown men drool). I don't see that in the new car. As another poster pointed out above..."you pay the BIG MONEY for jaw dropping style and performance! Seems Honda is going to try and get the big bucks for just performance with this new model....

0NSXCRX.jpg

NSX2.jpg

Reminds me of a quote that made me laugh, page 94 Sept. Motor Trend- Acura RL
"Sum Up- NEW LOOK, BUT STILL INVISIBLE"

Last edited:
I think everyone is missing the biggest question here:

Will it have VTEC?

:biggrin:

Better than that, super duper iVTEC.... You know the new "i" thing...like iPod, iPhone, iMac, iBlow:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Yes I see your point..... :tongue:

P.S. the white car in my 1st photo-set was a 1991 Honda Civic, I think they had 3 body styles that year? (CRX, Sedan, and Hatchback). But I think my point still stands-up regardless of which style you use.... There was a huge design gap between Halo car and Entry Level car back in 1991 (it made grown men drool). I don't see that in the new car. As another poster pointed out above..."you pay the BIG MONEY for jaw dropping style and performance! Seems Honda is going to try and get the big bucks for just performance with this new model....

0NSXCRX.jpg

NSX2.jpg

Reminds me of a quote that made me laugh, page 94 Sept. Motor Trend- Acura RL
"Sum Up- NEW LOOK, BUT STILL INVISIBLE"

Nice NSX has custom wheels and you pic a CRX HF the uber cheap super fuel economy version..LOL

Don't make me pull out the 1988-91 Prelude Si on ya!

Oh well the R8 and TT look like big and mini me. Tell ya what since we live in the same area when I get mine grab your civic we'll go on Woodward and see how many people think their related:biggrin:

I agree, it will have to weigh more than the projected 3250 lbs. The car is no doubt bigger and has more of everything. The interior will be more luxurious, and the engine with AWD is only going to weigh it down even more. I can see them offering a type R style version where all of the luxuries are discarded to drop some 200 lbs or so and then weighing in at 3200ish lbs. The Rx7 didn't have a fancy material treatment, it just has a smaller engine, decently smaller dimensions (shorter overall length and width) and a lesser interior and it still beat the NSX out by 300lb or so. Realistically speaking, this new GT will be a pig in terms of size and weight, very close to the GTR. Hell the styling is not that much better, and the price tag is already twice as much.

I think it will tip the scales at 3500 lbs at least. I can believe the engine will make some 550-600 hp though, that's not a stretch. I just hope the cylinder deactivation does not end up being a dud and complicates things along the terms of reliability down the road. The more complex these things get, the easier it is for things to go wrong. Also no simple 6 speed manual transmission? WTH?

QUOTE]

Let's look at what we do know, that Nurburgring time of 7:37.

I think you're right on the weight idea of around 3500 pounds. Look at the 599 - a comparable front-engined GT to this new Honda, and Ferrari's halo car - it's made of mostly aluminum and weighs in at 3722 pounds, albeit with a V12. Interesting to read these "600hp" claims for the V10. Remember, the 599 makes 612 hp / 448 ft-lb from that detuned Enzo V12, and it takes 7:47 to leisurely lap the Nordschleife. Honda's test mule is already there. Must be making wicked downforce with a pretty effective way of getting the power to the ground.

I really highly doubt it will come with a front lacking the new signature grill. This is what keeps me from posting any praise about its looks for the mean time. The performance numbers are promising so far, but who cares if it will perform a little better than the GTR while costing twice as much and twice as ugly. I'll wait until the real pictures without all the camo comes out first before I look at it seriously.

I think I will have to look at Lotus for the future lightweight exotic. They're using the new Camry engine as a base in the new Evora, something like a 2+2 NSX. Toyota is just as reliable as Honda. It weighs as much as an NA1, aluminum chasis, has the same power, more torque, MT, true mid-engine, 2 extra seats that displaces the trunk cargo and looks pretty good. Sounds like an excellent DD to me. This is the closer spiritual sucessor to the NSX, not some damn pigged out Audi. It's only a matter of time before this is supercharged or turbo for even more power and soon the new Espirit drops (perhaps a purer succesor to the NSX legacy) and such.

Yes, the new Evora is what they called it, a true Mid-Engine, v6 with 276 - 280 hp engine, 2+2, weights around 2600lbs i think. Lotus claims that it is faster around the nurhinburg then the Elise :eek:. now elise weights in 1600-1800lbs and have a 190hp.....:biggrin: now thats one fast mid-engine v6 2+2

eagle-lo-1.jpg

eagle-lo-3.jpg

eagle-lo-5.jpg

http://www.lotusevora.com/

yes, its great to say this but the most affordable mid engine car with power and handling, is lotus! :cool:

Last edited:
Yes, the new Evora is what they called it, a true Mid-Engine, v6 with 276 - 280 hp engine, 2+2, weights around 2600lbs i think. Lotus claims that it is faster around the nurhinburg then the Elise :eek:. now elise weights in 1600-1800lbs and have a 190hp.....:biggrin: now thats one fast mid-engine v6 2+2

eagle-lo-1.jpg

eagle-lo-3.jpg

eagle-lo-5.jpg

http://www.lotusevora.com/

yes, its great to say this but the most affordable mid engine car with power and handling, is lotus! :cool:

Actually it's almost 3000lbs exactly, 29xx i believe, atleast the prototype is. We can expect future versions to be lighter possibly, something along the lines of the NSX-R. Should definately check out the project eagle video when they put it to test on all kinds of conditions.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/lotus-evora-convertible.html

The convertible is not so much the great news. A 320 hp(mostlikely higher compression and redline) and 400+ hp supercharged S variant is also planned in the future for this car. A supercharged 3.5 V-6 should be capable of at least 450 hp. May be even cheaper just to buy the base model and supercharge it yourself in the future, unless the variant has extreme weight reduction. This is taking very similar paths of our currrent NSX. Sound like the Evora could be my next MR exotic! Way to go Lotus!

Good looking car! I see why you guys like it. I hope N Spec will post some nice pics when he gets it.

Still looks like a tiburon

My dissapointment is it does not look like a sports car but a hot coupe!

Utmost respect for what it and the GT-R can do but they just don't look special enough.....

Actually it's almost 3000lbs exactly, 29xx i believe, atleast the prototype is. We can expect future versions to be lighter possibly, something along the lines of the NSX-R. Should definately check out the project eagle video when they put it to test on all kinds of conditions.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/lotus-evora-convertible.html

The convertible is not so much the great news. A 320 hp(mostlikely higher compression and redline) and 400+ hp supercharged S variant is also planned in the future for this car. A supercharged 3.5 V-6 should be capable of at least 450 hp. May be even cheaper just to buy the base model and supercharge it yourself in the future, unless the variant has extreme weight reduction. This is taking very similar paths of our currrent NSX. Sound like the Evora could be my next MR exotic! Way to go Lotus!

I see some resemblance of Ferrari in it. I like it(not as much as our NSX)

Back