New E55 AMG = 469hp / 516 lb-ft torque

I agree. That car is SWEET! I love the M5 also, but this new car is just awesome.

It'll be interesting to see how this will compare (in dry weather) to the coming Audi RS6 (450 hp twin turbo 4.2 V8) with Quattro all wheel drive. I heard BMW's next generation M5 will have a V10.

super-sedan shootout (R&T 6-2003)

8000RPM said:
Pretty soon all these wicked German sedans will be faster in a straightline than 99% of 2dr sportscars out there... amazing.
Pretty soon is NOW.

Check out the current (June 03) Road & Track for "Rolling Thunder" -- a comparo test with the Audi RS6, BMW M5, Jag S-Type R and Benz E55 AMG.
- E55 is a Ferrari-beater (0-60 in 4.2 sec, 12.4 quarter mile -- not bad for an automatic 4200 lb sedan)
- RS6 is in Aston Martin Vanquish territory (0-60 in 4.6 sec, 13.1 quarter-mile -- again not bad for a 4060 lb sedan
- their "slingshot factor" (60-90 mph acceleration) test was also pretty impressive - the Audi, BMW and AMG did it in low-to-mid 4 sec; compared to over 7 sec for an RSX Type-S

Issue also has a cool article on (cover car) Saleen S7R - the quickest production car 0-60 (3.3 sec) they've ever tested. Quarter-mile was in 11.8 sec (McLaren F1 is 3.4 / 11.6).

looking at the numbers, it seems that the RS6 seems to lose steam once you get past the 1/4 mile. The M5 catches up and passes the Audi ending up with a faster time to 150 mph.

I like the Mercedes the best with its supercharger, but the SL600 with the twin turbo may be even better. The Mercedes didn't lose steam at all and posted the faster 150 mph time by several seconds. Does part of the reason stem from its use of a supercharger over a turbo?

MBZ-AMG vs MBZ-MM

wctsao said:
I like the Mercedes the best with its supercharger, but the SL600 with the twin turbo may be even better. The Mercedes didn't lose steam at all and posted the faster 150 mph time by several seconds. Does part of the reason stem from its use of a supercharger over a turbo?
AMG SL/E/CL uses a supercharged 5.5L V8; I believe supercharging is their direction for most AMG cars. I hear an even higher-perf AMG CL65 is in the works too.

The SL/S/CL 600 will use a detuned version of the twin-turbo V-12 from the big Maybach.

################

SC versus Turbo -- each possesses their own unique advantages, relative to efficiency at varying RPM levels. I don't believe one is "superior" at all rev ranges. The engine wizards at AMG have more SC experience, but that doesn't mean they can't do a good TT.

Back