New clutch and timing belt at low miles????

So I'm in the market for an NSX, 91/92 models. Anyway I'm floored at the40/50/60,000 mile cars that have had timing belt service and clutches replaced already. I thought clutches lasted much longer than that. I also thought timing belts/water pump service was required at 60,000. I've actually seen under 40,000 miles getting this done. What gives? That can be kinda scarey for a 1st time buyer. Thanks.

I just replaced my clutch at 50k (tranny swap), and it was fine. Plenty of meat left. It is all in how you drive.

timing...

Timing-belt is recommended to be changed at 6yrs or 90k miles, whichever comes first. Often the water-pump is done at the same time.

G/luck w/ your search! :cool:

Keep in mind that timing belt replacement is also time-driven, not just mileage-driven. 6 or 7 years is the interval (seems to depend which vehicle year maintenance schedule you look at).

I've also been perplexed by the number of posts for NSXs needing clutches at low mileage. The earliest I've ever had to replace a clutch in any of my vehicles was 90K and that was my first car, the one I learned to drive a manual transmission. I've gotten 150K on a clutch with one vehicle I owned when I traded it.

Last edited:
My clutch on my '91 was replaced at around 50K, after I let a (ex)girlfriend drive the car and myself home one night when I was in no condition to drive. Little did I know that she never fully let the clutch out on the 15-mile drive home to my house, and the smell when we pulled into the driveway told me that it was new clutch time. Up until that point, my clutch was fine and I was able to drive the car 400 miles to Phoenix afterwards to have Mark Basch install a new Centerforce clutch for me. For all I know, the clutch was fine but I was having JDM gearing and 4.23 ring and pinion done, so it was something that I thought would be a wise choice to get done at the same time.

That girl and I broke up soon afterwards, and my current girlfriend will attest that I'll never make the mistake again of letting someone drive this car without extensive instruction/supervision first. :wink:

Last edited:
As dependable as people claim they are, a clutch at 50K worries me. :confused:

If you are talking about me, I could have gotten 100k easy. I already had the new clutch purchased and the tranny removed. I tossed it in so I don't have to worry about it.

If you are talking about me, I could have gotten 100k easy. I already had the new clutch purchased and the tranny removed. I tossed it in so I don't have to worry about it.
Hehe, no I was'nt talking about you. As I've gone through classifieds, there are so many clutch replacements. Sorry bout that.:biggrin:

I am presently having a battle with the dealership over this issue. With just under 8000 miles on the car, I believe the clutch is poooched.

There isn't a defined ENGAGED / DIS-ENGAGED feeling to the clutch. It shudders on take off (worst when warm ) and when I get home in the garage, there is always a smell of brake/clutch material lingering.

I've NEVER been able to get ANY dangle off the rear end (of course with the TCS OFF). That car could'nt smoke those tire with a BIC lighter and rolling papers.

So I believe the belt clutch stories.

I am presently having a battle with the dealership over this issue. With just under 8000 miles on the car, I believe the clutch is poooched.

There isn't a defined ENGAGED / DIS-ENGAGED feeling to the clutch. It shudders on take off (worst when warm ) and when I get home in the garage, there is always a smell of brake/clutch material lingering.

I've NEVER been able to get ANY dangle off the rear end (of course with the TCS OFF). That car could'nt smoke those tire with a BIC lighter and rolling papers.

So I believe the belt clutch stories.
Is your sig. true? Do you really own the last one made? :eek:

As others have posted, the time interval is also important for the timing belt. Clutch replacement depends upon driving habits.

Back