New Chicago Owner

Picking her up on Saturday. A 1991 Sebring 5spd.
This is my first NSX, so naturally I'm ecstatic to finally own the car that I have been dreaming of since I was 16.
Looking forward to some midwest meets/drives when the weather plays nice again in the spring.

Happy Holidays to all:smile:

-Paul

I am right there with you Paul. I wont have mine until next Tuesday. I already have spent more money than I should have considering I dont have the car yet! My girlfriend wanted me to buy that car your getting, it is so nice. Look forward to hearing that sound system. Congrats for sure. Looks like Chicago will have Two new active members. Again, Congrats and drive her back safely.

Jeremy

Good to see new owners in the area. Though there aren't as many winter events as summer, I look forward to meeting you both at the next event.

Thanks, fellas.
Woody- I think I'll be storing it this winter. Maybe next year when the novelty wears off I'll buy some old oem wheels with snows and go for it..!!

Jeremy- Let me know how things go with the car. Looking forward to the meets!

If any of you are familiar with Cooper/Jonathan's old car, this is the one I'm acquiring.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74331

I'll get my own pics soon.:biggrin:

Always glad to meet new Chi-town owners!! You're going to have a blast with us, we're a pretty active crew. Lots of track events, shows, dinners, you name it!

Welcome!

Sean

Speaking of dinners, Bob and I were talking about getting the crew back together before the holidays. Just posted a thread in this Forum.

Congrats and welcome to the new members. No matter what you've read on NSX PRIME, nothing compares to actual ownership. Wait until you go on a group drive. It's a blast!

- Frank

Thanks, guys. Definitely looking forward to meeting the crew.
This is all very refreshing coming from owning an Audi and being on the audiworld.com forum. Those guys are tough customers over there. This will be a nice switch for me. Not to mention my S4 cost me almost $8k in repairs in one year. Yikes and good riddance to that mess.

-Paul

Update: Got snowed in. All flights were cancelled out of O'hare today. Looks like I'll be leaving tomorrow morning in the early am. Should be in and out of Denver by noon. I don't know why I'm so excited...I will be storing the thing for the winter as soon as I get back.:frown:

I dont know, the 1000 mile drive back would make me a little excited. :smile:

Paul91 said:
Update: Got snowed in. All flights were cancelled out of O'hare today. Looks like I'll be leaving tomorrow morning in the early am. Should be in and out of Denver by noon. I don't know why I'm so excited...I will be storing the thing for the winter as soon as I get back.:frown:
Hi Paul,

The car looks beautiful :smile: . Not looking forward to seeing that weather when i fly to detroit on monday for mine.

Have a safe and enjoyable drive.

Paul should have one of these :biggrin: on his face by now. I am so jealous. Just a few more days and I get to wear the happy face! Let us know how the trip was after you get some rest.

Made it back safe! Flew into Denver, took care of the transaction, and was on the road by 1:30pm CST. Thank goodness I had a friend with me to help drive. We made it to his condo in Rockford by 3:30am CST.

Wow was it cold. Due to it being 10 degrees out and us going 75mph, the defroster was having a hard time keeping up. We were getting ice inside the windows. Only thing that acted up on the way was the TCS. Couldn't figure it out. It would intermittently blink green on and off. I called the original owner, and he said that it may be due to the fact that the two rear tires are different. He had blown out one of the Toyo's a couple months ago. The new Toyo was a replacement for the old one, which is no longer produced. At any rate, a mechanic had told him that the two tires with slightly different tread patterns/life could affect the TCS some how. We turned the engine off at a rest stop, fired it back up, and proceeded to shut off the TCS for the remainder of the trip. It was fine from that point on.
No other issues to report, except some clicking from the ABS modulator when first starting the car and driving slowing over icy areas. I read that this is normal. Sorry for the ranting..:smile:

Back to the trip. We must have looked like a couple of idiots rolling I80 through Nebraska/Iowa in frigid temps with 3M Blue Painters tape all over the car's front, fenders, mirrors, etc. This tape really is the way to go. It peels of so easily. Despite not exactly being asthetically pleasing, we still got compliments at the service stations.

The car: This thing is clean! The engine looks brand new, and hums like a sewing machine. I had her parked over night in Rockford in my friend's driveway. She fired up w/o hassle the next day...and it was cold!!

My remaining 85 miles to Chicago seemed so easy compared to the night before. Naturally all of my friends wanted to see the car. She was dirty as heck. I arrived in the city and went to my favorite hand car wash off of Webster(just west of Ashland). I thought for sure I'd have to wait in line forever. These places are normally a zoo just after the snow has been cleared. To my surprise(and liking), the place was dead. I drove into the bay, and the porters/car washers all dropped their jaws. I had 8 people cleaning my car. The owner came out and conversed with me. He couldn't believe it was a '91.
The most comical part was when the first porter came up to the car and was unable to find the door handle. A wry smile came over my face:cool:
The owner of the car wash then verbally instructed him where it was located.

Ok..she's clean now. Now I can take her home and show the fiancee. Lucy dropped her jaw when she saw it. The words "pretty" and "beautiful" came out. I suppose I can live with those adjectives:wink:

All in all, the car was well received by all. I'll be storing her for the winter this Sunday.

I took a few amateur pics during the trip back. Any advice on how to post them(size restrictions killing me) would be great. The blue tape shots are the best!

Sorry for being long-winded. It still hasn't sunk in that this is my car yet. Spring can't come soon enough:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

-Paul

Paul91 said:
Only thing that acted up on the way was the TCS. Couldn't figure it out. It would intermittently blink green on and off. I called the original owner, and he said that it may be due to the fact that the two rear tires are different. He had blown out one of the Toyo's a couple months ago. The new Toyo was a replacement for the old one, which is no longer produced. At any rate, a mechanic had told him that the two tires with slightly different tread patterns/life could affect the TCS some how.
Differences in tread patterns or tread depth are unlikely to cause the TCS to activate.

Chances are that at least some of the tires are the wrong sizes. TCS should not activate when using the proper tire sizes on the NSX:

15"/16" wheels - 205/50-15 and 225/50-16
16"/17" wheels - 205/45-16 and 245/40-17, 215/45-16 and 245/40-17, or 215/45-16 and 255/40-17
17"/17" wheels - 215/40-17 and 255/40-17
17"/18" wheels - 215/40-17 and 255/35-18, or 215/40-17 and 265/35-18.

It's also not a good idea to use mismatched tires (different tire models), especially if the tires are different in performance and design.

Congratulations on your purchase, and best of luck with it!

Paul91 said:
No other issues to report, except some clicking from the ABS modulator when first starting the car and driving slowing over icy areas. I read that this is normal.

This is a handy bit of information, as I was wondering just this morning what the hell that clicking sound was in my dash.:smile:

The clicking sound for the ABS modulator is quite loud, and lasts for 3-6 seconds. I also notice a very slight clicking noise that seems to be coming from the cabin vents. It even makes noise when the heating/cooling system is off. Trying to figure out what this noise is, too!!:confused:

Thanks. I'm running 18/19 combo. Both are Toyos on the back, but definitely different tires. Since the good tire(one that wasn't blown out) is out of production, he went with something similar. Just sounds like he didn't want to fork out the extra $$ for two new tires when he only needed one.

I think they are 245/35/19's. I need to double check, though. Upon visual inspection, the tires seem to be very different, even though whoever sold them said otherwise.

Welcome to the club buddy.

I have a 02 Silverstone and go back and forth from the suburbs to chicago almost everyday so you might see me around if the weather gets better :biggrin:

Paul91 said:
I also notice a very slight clicking noise that seems to be coming from the cabin vents. It even makes noise when the heating/cooling system is off. Trying to figure out what this noise is, too!!:confused:
That's the aspirator fan for the interior temperature sensor. You can read more about it in the NSX FAQ (answers to Frequently Asked Questions). Click on FAQ above, then on Troubleshooting, then on "What's That NOISE?", and scroll down to "What's That Buzzing Sound From The Console?"

Welcome to the Elite! I've had my '02 Silverstone just over a year now and I can still feel what you're feeling today. Hope you can bring her to Del Rhea's on Sunday before puttin her away! I live by White Sox.

Back