New Buyer - NSX or Ferrari 348?

why do you think they have electrical gremlins? It's because people buy them as models and trophies rather than a car to drive and enjoy. The early 348 had electrical problems due to a weak alternator which then burned out the ECUs, but most of them had been fixed and upgraded. You will find that a higher mileage Ferrari will have less problems. I know this for a fact, I used my 355 everysingle day for 10 months(absolutely no problems@10,000miles) and then I had to take it off the insurance for one and a half month and now my headlight won't go up. The worse thing you can do to a car is leave it sit. I will bet my bottom dollar the same will happen to the NSX. That is the problem with most Ferrari owners they choose not to drive their cars and that is when problems start to happen. I have 3 friends who drive their 348 on a continuous basis with over 60,000 miles on the odometer and not one single problem. But again drive both cars, take into effect how you are going to use the car, and then decide.

NSX vs. 348 was the same decision I went through. Here are the reasons why I bought the NSX:

1) Reliability and repair cost. The 348 was 2x as expensive per repair as the NSX (clutch is about equal) as per Forza magazine. Plus, the impression I got was that the 348 was more likely to break. True or not, that was the info. I had to go with.

2) These reviews of the 355 (a better car than the 348 in pretty much everyone's opinion) vs. NSX http://philip.greenspun.com/materialism/cars/nsx http://www.nsxfiles.com/fcar.htm

3) The 348 is disliked even by many Ferrari owners. Those that own them seem to like them, but there are a bunch out there that really had less than nice things to say about the 348.

I have the Forza buyers guide issue for the 348 if you want me to scan it I can dig out the scanner from the Great Paper Pile.

Ultimately, it comes down to what you want. Drive both if you can, make you choice and report back on the experience!

My partner is a huge Ferrari collector and before I bought my NSX, I asked him about a 348 or 355. He flat out said to get a 355 or 360, no way on a 348. He felt that it was a "transition" car and undesirable. In regards to the "exoticness," partners of mine comment about my NSX vs the Testarossa in my lot when parked side by side. Also, get alot of stares in the NSX.

Tim

I had the exact same quandry...and I am choosing the NSX...still looking fo my first one...but my reasons were first I'm 6'4" and can't fit in a 345 or 355. I think the NSX is a better performing vehicle all around. And NSX won't complete drain your bank account with maintenence. Have fun

Scottjua and the other guys from Dallas may remember a certain guy with a 348 that we met at a party. When we started talking about sports cars and going to the track, he was like “sure, Id love to go to the track with you guys and show you what a real machine can do against your fancy Hondas” or something to that effect..

Well, he was pretty much the slowest guy out there. He got into going to track events and attended several along with us Dallas NSX’ers. He got to be a much better driver, but his 348 still really could not keep up at all.

That, of course was when it was running…..

Our social dynamics vis-à-vis the pecking order of our respective cars gradually changed to the point of when I asked if he would be attending the next track event, his response was something to the effect of “yeah, maybe if my %@$*& car will be running then”

Another guy from who used to hang out in Dallas quite a bit traded in his 348 straight across for a 95 NSX-T, saying it was the best deal he ever made. I think his quote was something to the effect that he “would rather take care of his family, rather than taking care of a sick Ferrari”

I also heard that the chairman of Ferrari once said privately that the 348 was the worst car they ever made in terms of quality control.

But heck, it’s sexy, and who am I to stand in you way if you want one!!!
wink.gif

------------------
All My NSX'es Live in Texas

Prestige...smeege
smile.gif
Actually, Ferrari's definately get more recognition. That damn Magnum PI!! But quite frankly, I see Ferrari's a lot on the road...rarely do I see NSX's. I think NSX qualifies as an exotic because of its hand built nature and sporty performance. Exotic Supercar?? Well thats left to the Ciezeta Moroders, Lambos, F-Series Ferrari's, Panoz and such. If you want attention from a car...get a mini-van, tint the windows, install a waterbed, and have your personal licence plate read
"BIG P-P"

[This message has been edited by tewills (edited 01 November 2002).]

Hey Ferraris are super good looking cars and if I had 50K + another couple thousand to keep it going during the summer months, they would be a nice addition. However, they are not reliable period. They are fine to drive twice a month to a nice fancy restaurant but that's about it. There is a saying that a Ferrari buyer lives through his happiest day twice. Once when he buys the car and once when he is finally able to unload it. Keep that in mind and go for NSX. It is a better built machine by far.

Mark, yeah I do remember that...I also remember one of the 348 guys at a Dyno day for NSXs...people jeered and made jokes about IF it would survive the dyno, and while it was running on the dyno I pointed out the tranny fluid puddle forming so he wouldn't kill the car. He didn't seem to pleased to have that pointed out...and shrugged it off.

I'm not sure which of these 348 guys it was that you were talking about...but it was a black 348TS if that helps.

Jerry Hill's experiences can been taken in two lights. Depending of if you knew him or ever met him. He was a nice guy and seemed genuinely enthused about his cars...but I can't say he drove the piss out of his cars like some of the younger guys might have. I'm pretty sure he DID drive them and awful lot though. Taking that into account, if he wasn't very abusive/aggresive (my assumption here) and he had the problems he did...imagine driving them pretty hard when you do. I wouldn't want the headache the Ferraris might be...it's a high price to pay for such a reward. I've been to the Ferrari dealer enough and talked to friends enough to know they are true money lovers when it comes to repairs. I still can't figure out why exactly.

Having driven them I can say they're nice, greatly lauded by the press and confident drivers (the 355 at least), however for the average guy I think they're too quirky an un-balanced to drive at anything close to limits. An NSX is a better driving car by far in my opnion. That's not to say I wouldn't take one if you were to give me one
smile.gif
. But my hard earned money is better spent elsewhere. Especially when it comes to driving satisfaction.

as far as exotic-ness goes...When people run up to an NSX and ask if it's a Ferrari or Lamborghini...that should say it all. That is for the general populace of course.

------------------
Got dat ol' vee six cilnder inder?

http://www.nextestdrive.net

[This message has been edited by scottjua (edited 22 November 2002).]

Originally posted by bill92nsx:
scottjua, if you are referring to me as the one guy that says differnet, you couldn't be more wrong. First of all I own a 355 and second of all I know many many 348 owners who drive their car daily and have no problems whatsoever, change oil and fluids annually. Also I do not drive my car twice a month but very regularly and drive it quite spiritedly as well. As I have stated once before I have had more problems with the NSX than any Ferrari (even though they were minor, but problems nonetheless). If you find a ratty one it will cost you the house but the same exact goes for the NSX.

Bill not out to offend you at all...but in my experience and the people around me who own them...they're jsut not relaible. The only person I know who owns multiple Ferraris and drives them regularly also does all his own maintenance. He can take down his TR engine and put it back together, do belt changes at home, etc. He says his 348 is the best allrounder out of the three that he has...BUT it still needs work, and luckily has been sorted out with all of the updates over the years. His car and perhaps your are some true exceptions. The majority of Ferrari owners give two hoots about updates and really maintaining their cars, so the majority of the cars suffer from under-use as much or more so than abuse I think.

Overall the NSX is a better running and more reliable car. However both camps have their extremes, but in my opinion the NSXs hemisphere seems to have fewer problems overall compared to the Ferrari and Especially early to mid run 348 camp.

Again...my opinions and experiences are different from yours...but they are not contrived to make a point. I'm an enthusiast of both cars...but there's a practical mindset I adhere to and the NSX makes more sense for me, and I think if the question comes up it mightbe a concern to someone asking as well.

Just friendly conversation...no accusing or saying you're wrong and I'm right.

BTW...I jsut noticed something...I hadn't replied after having READ your replies above my original reply...I replied from the topic starter only. That is why a month later I am replying. I had nothing aimed at you in the first place...why would you think so?

I have LOVED the 348 Ferrari - if i had to choose:

1. 91 NSX $30K same year 348 $50K.
2. YES you'd be getting a Ferrari but maintenace and services HAVE to be more costly.
3. the 348 looks WAY outdated compared to the newer ferrari's, to where the NSX still looks like a MODERN car.

MAN if i could get a 348 i would get one - i mean- its a Ferrari.

There are up and downs to both cars.
Owning a Ferrari is a dream of mine - but for my budget the NSX seemed more like it for the year and the car.

If you have an unlimited budget- get a Ferrari - i mean, damn! Deep down we all want one
wink.gif

As you can tell, i wouldnt be able to decide!

------------------
www.Dashkits.net

93 Supra TT
95 Supra NA
93 RX7 TT
91 NSX

the nsx makes sense at so many levels, compared to the ferrari, it makes me wonder;

do you think the nsx owners are more rightbrain driven while the ferrari owners would test out more leftbrain???

any psychology students out there, this would make an interesting research study. 'we really are what we drive', or something like that.

Originally posted by DashKits.net:
Deep down we all want one
wink.gif

Owning a Ferrari is one of those things that you know you want to do, but you also know you'll probably regret it once you do it.

NSX vs. Ferrari ???

I have owned a 1992 Ferrari 348ts & a 1994 348 Spider. The 92 model was in the shop more than it was on the street. The BIG problem were the two ECUs. When you see the 1-4 & 5-8 light come on ... grab your checkbook and head to the nearest Ferrari dealership. Each of these little critters cost about $ 400.00 back in the early to late nineties when I owned these cars.
The pre 94 cars were the worst with this problem. The 94 & 95 348 models are a little better but my 94 Spider developed electrical problems and I sold it.
This sparked a love affair with the Acura NSX. I bought a 1995 NSX-T which was only in the shop one time for a problem and the other was a tire change. I didn't have to take it to a dealer for oil and filter changes like is demanded by Ferrari shops or the warranty will be voided. And may I add that a Ferrari dealership will charge about $ 250.00 for the oil/filter service. The NSX-T was never over $ 50.00.
Not only being less expensive to operate the NSX can be modified to out perform most cars on the market today with the addition of a supercharger. The only addition for the 348s is the Tubi Style exhaust which will set you back $ 3 grand.
A belt service for a Ferrari 348 averages $ 5,500.00 which is a must every 15k miles. From what I hear the NSX is appx $ 1,200.00. When I purchased my car that service had been taken care of by the previous owner.
Prestige is one thing and using your head is another. Ferraris are great cars for wealthy people, which you may be, but if you are not, buy an NSX or NSX-T. You will enjoy owning the ONLY everyday exotic. Drive anywhere <on pavement> and if the weather gets bad and it rains, the NSX-T I owned never leaked a drop, even when it was washed.
The 348ts leaked like pouring water through your fingers. The 348 Spider leaked as well, but convertables usually do. This is not a good thing for over a hundred thousand dollar automobile.
Good luck...

My 2 cents... and kinda late... 348 looks like an NSX though even more dated... additionally, if you like throwing money away, have a party with the Ferarri. Don't forget to wear the thick gold chain and pinky ring:D

Back